Percival Proctor Air Reserve Gazette 194603 article  
Percival Proctor V Air Reserve Gazette 194801 ident  
Percival Proctor IV IPMS UK 196909 kit conversion article drawing
Percival Proctor IV Scale Models 197803 article plans 72 nov 72 draw
Percival Proctor Scale Models 197805 letter current a/c
Percival Proctor IPMS Cdn 197805 article RCAF
Percival Proctor Air Pictorial 199512 ident all types
Percival Proctor V Scale Aviation Modeller 201510 V21 #10 article Frog 72

Most of the kits, drawings and modern rebuilds are of the numerous Proctor IV which sadly is the airframe with the least development margin if a wider range of Vega's and earlier Proctors are to be had. Also many of the drawings are not very good.

I have been working on a set of drawings for the earlier Vega's and Proctors based on some material I got from Mike Eacock  who was a former Percival man.

I have received a message from Eugen and I'll reply tomorrow as it's late now.

Thanks Graham!

John

I actually wrote the above last night but for some reason it didn't post.

However here is a quick precis.

I would very much like to see a 1/48 Vega Gull/ Proctor. I have various drawings and a good selection of books on the Percival aeroplanes.  The best Book is the Air Britain publication "On the Wings of a Gull" by the late David Gearing. This is the best history and it costs over £40.00 GPB. I also have Percival Aircraft by Arthur Ord-Hume, again not a cheap book but quite good with many photographs. I also have Percival and Hunting Aircraft by John Silvester.  I have published drawings for the Proctor IV from Scale Models which are good. I also have the rarer drawings for the Proctor V published in the defunct British magazine 'Model Aircraft' in about 1958. Frog did the Proctor IV  The plans in Aviation News are not reliable.

Drawings for the earlier (and in my opinion) the more important and interesting Proctor's, 1, II and III are harder to find. I do have some reasonable but faded photo copies of the Percival Aircraft model workshop drawings (in 1/48 scale) which came from a friend who was a draftsman at Percival . It is these I am re-drawing to restore and improve. I still have some work to complete the drawings. Also some data for the Proctor I-III fuselage length data is misleading.

History: The civilian Vega Gull III was considered by the RAF as a four seat navigation and communications aircraft and was built as the Proctor I. The Proctor II was built as a Wireless operator trainer with no dual control. The Proctor III was specially built to train operators on the heavy Bomber Command radios.

All of these Proctors have the same airframe and use the Vega Gull 39' 6" span wing and 26' 4" long basic fuselage and only differ in the internal fittings and by small details such as radio aerials/antennae, generator bulges on the Starboard engine cowling and the DF loop clear fairing on the fuselage top on the Proctor III.

The Proctor IV used the same span wing but a totally new longer fuselage which differed in size,(28' 2") construction and shape. The Proctor V was a civilian built IV and the VI was a float plane variant (one a/c only).

John

• Like 3

Ours is a P.44 Mark 5 S/n NP.336

Happy to use it for reference for this project but I'll need advance warning for measuring etc as

the buggers buried between Anson and Moths

• Like 3

On 3 December 2016 at 8:50 PM, NAVY870 said:

project but I'll need advance warning for measuring etc as

the buggers buried between Anson and Moths

This posting is the aviation history equivalent of 'Rich Kids of Instagram' :lol:

Nice one Steve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This posting is the aviation history equivalent of 'Rich Kids of Instagram' :lol:

Nice one Steve.

Actually these arent in my end of the shed. My responsibility is the RAN aircraft and everything post war (Meteor Bell 47 Canberra and a single hole Vamp)

All the pre war and WW2 stuff is down t other end, its nearly all RAAF so I avoid it.

• Like 2

On 06/12/2016 at 09:38, NAVY870 said:

Actually these arent in my end of the shed. My responsibility is the RAN aircraft and everything post war (Meteor Bell 47 Canberra and a single hole Vamp)

All the pre war and WW2 stuff is down t other end, its nearly all RAAF so I avoid it.

So that's like "Oh they're Lambourghinis and I only drive Ferraris"... ;)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

So that's like "Oh they're Lambourghinis and I only drive Ferraris"... ;)

Regards,

Adrian

No its like saying "They're AirForce and I only Fly Navy" :D

• Like 5