Some (More) Hellcat questions (why don't I just buy a book?)

Duncan B

8 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Hi Alan. Did you perhaps mean to say Non-Specular Sea Blue leading edges? That's what's shown in the guide to which you posted the link.

Ah Yes ^_^

That's what you get, for typing these things up late at night before going to bed  :D

Apologies for any confusion :blink:

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 10:27 AM, Seahawk said:

Where you might have seen a table is in Barratt Tilman's book on the Hellcat.  Afraid I didn't buy the book just for that one very useful page of information.  Again it's probably dated now.

As regards rocket stubs they came in earlier, with the late F6F-3 (from Bu No 42185): source: Hellcat Walkround again.  This means they should have appeared on FAA Hellcats from somewhere in the JV190-221 serial batch. 

I do not have the Tilman book, and it does not seem easy to obtain via Abe. However, I found what I was looking for in IPMS US Quarterly Vol II #1 Fall 1975. The BuNo tallies with the one quoted by you, and it says it was the 3.451st airframe. The article is slightly dated, but very informative. And anyone liking Essex's, there's a great article by Del Palmieri on them.

22 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I do not have the Tilman book, and it does not seem easy to obtain via Abe. However, I found what I was looking for in IPMS US Quarterly Vol II #1 Fall 1975. The BuNo tallies with the one quoted by you, and it says it was the 3.451st airframe. The article is slightly dated, but very informative. And anyone liking Essex's, there's a great article by Del Palmieri on them.

I've got the Tillman book. I'll check to see if the table is in there :)

I certainly will. Looking back at the drawings Troy posted, I have a strong sense of déjà vu - they seem to be ***very*** ***similar*** to those in the IPMS Quarterly I mentioned above. Be interesting to see whom the drawings are credited to in the book.

No idea, I can tell you the equivalent in Deutschmarks or in Airbus stock if that helps... 

It's quite a good book overall. There's some interesting information on Grumman as a business / working environment that was very good even by todays standards, only today business infested with imbiciles who think they've invented some new idea and given it a BS Bingo name.