Mig-31 Foxhound 1:48

Mike

33 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Both 374 and 903 were system demonstrators, and also "demonstrator" airframes so they had a lot of "non standard" systems fitted to them, cockpits made "safe" to show in the West  . . .  To add the refueling probe would not be a serious chalange, still yes it is true that you will not be able to build 903 straight out of the box.

As to the choice between the Hobby Boss or the other manufacturers kit, it is up to everyones own taste. A lot has been written about both. For me, I find interesting to see the corrections that HB has made to the obvious mistakes of the other manufacturer, while they also made some of their own silly mistakes. I find the surface details on HB much better than on the other kit and lots more fine details which are completely missing from the other manufacturers product.

I hope that HB got the size of the markings on the decal sheet right not like the other maker. 

Best regards

Gabor

I guess the direct question is which kit, the Hobby Boss or the other manufacturers B/BS version would be better suited to building one of the demonstration birds? This is setting aside opinions on fine detail and the differences in the cockpit.

Personally I'm interested in seeing their version of the M variant, although it never saw service.

9 hours ago, March said:

I guess the direct question is which kit, the Hobby Boss or the other manufacturers B/BS version would be better suited to building one of the demonstration birds? This is setting aside opinions on fine detail and the differences in the cockpit.

Personally I'm interested in seeing their version of the M variant, although it never saw service.

ATM, I guess the AMK one since this one doesn't have a refueling probe, but the HB will release a "B/BM" boxing which will have it (in addition to their M variant which I'm waiting for, too).

6 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

ATM, I guess the AMK one since this one doesn't have a refueling probe, but the HB will release a "B/BM" boxing which will have it (in addition to their M variant which I'm waiting for, too).

I'm of similar opinion (I have both the AMK kits and the Hobby Boss kit). I've already got the Begemot decal set and am eyeing 374... Just hope that I can get my modelling kit set up soon as I've done very little this year, real life has intervened big time.

51 minutes ago, March said:

I'm of similar opinion (I have both the AMK kits and the Hobby Boss kit). I've already got the Begemot decal set and am eyeing 374... Just hope that I can get my modelling kit set up soon as I've done very little this year, real life has intervened big time.

Yeah, I've got both as well, but not on hands yet as I'm residing abroad so have to wait for a trip home. I also need to revive my airplane skills since I don't get much time for modelling neither and the ones I did were tanks (still unfinished).

Having run my paws over the plastic, I think it's a fair bet that Hobby Boss have other versions in mind.  This boxing comes without Sprues D, N, O, P, Q or R.  Some of those might not be planned for use but I'd say Sprue D is an unlikely one to skip.  And Sprue F has a section missing (F1) that may very well be a different windscreen.  Plus, the box and the instructions talk of missiles that aren't provided, such as the R-73 and R-77.  It will be interesting to see what turns up in the next couple of years.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:43 PM, pigsty said:

Having run my paws over the plastic, I think it's a fair bet that Hobby Boss have other versions in mind.  This boxing comes without Sprues D, N, O, P, Q or R.  Some of those might not be planned for use but I'd say Sprue D is an unlikely one to skip.  And Sprue F has a section missing (F1) that may very well be a different windscreen.  Plus, the box and the instructions talk of missiles that aren't provided, such as the R-73 and R-77.  It will be interesting to see what turns up in the next couple of years.

Err, no need to guess, they already announced a B/BM boxing as well as an M boxing a year ago :)

Edited by Dudikoff

On 17/12/2016 at 7:43 PM, pigsty said:

F1 is very likely to be the different windscreen for the M.