Hawker (Siddeley) GB Chat

Col.

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Count me in. I have a nice selection of Hurricanes just waiting for an excuse to get built.

Andy

Any excuse to build a Hurricane, or several, is a good excuse :) 

I think the Hurricane will be a popular choice for this GB and quite rightly so.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

One word folks...

Osprey...

Would that be a Hawker Osprey by any chance? :D 

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

One word folks...

Osprey...

Having also just come from the Flying Boat &c GB, I've just been looking at A Model Osprey float planes. They look like fun :) 

Andy

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Me too!  We'll have to confer so we both don't bring potato salad to the picnic...

I haven't looked at the decals yet.  Perhaps there are at least two craft represented?

John

I think there's some alternatives on a ModelDecal sheet. Can have a look if the kit only gives one option.

Hello Can I jump in on this please? I think I would like to bring a Nimrod conversion of the Airfix 1/48 Fury to the party.

Rick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spad said:

Hello Can I jump in on this please? I think I would like to bring a Nimrod conversion of the Airfix 1/48 Fury to the party.

Rick

Lovely :D

• Thanks 1

I can't promise anything yet but I may join this one with a big resin beasty!! 

I have a Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32nd Sea Fury I was planning to build for the Carrier GB but I also have different model I want to build for that one as well (1/48th F-14D BombCat)!

So time/other projects permitting I may join this one with the Sea Fury. It'll be a RAN aircraft off the HMAS Sydney during the Korean war, to save space it'll have it's wings folded as well......just a simple project!! :wall:

• Like 3

hmmmm well........ after much more thought this simple project will probably be much more like those last couple of words you mentioned and include quite a few words that would probably get me banned from here as well! :whistle:

The one scary part of the build will e that there are no painting instructions for the model other than the main schemes. There are no suggestions for the interior or the wheel wells or wing interiors (for the folded wings). From some of the research I've done already, a lot of the Sea Fury's in museums have been restored incorrectly with the interior colours. From what I've found out, Hawker had their own version of of primer called Hawker Yellow, with was a Zinc Chromate based primer. The colour was somewhere between normal ZC primer and Sky, Tamiya XF-4 is meant to be a good/close match, maybe with a dash of white to lighten it up..

I'd be very appreciative if someone could provide any further info plus info on the interior colour scheme, mine will be a RAN version but I assume for the cockpit that won't matter??

I'll be on 3 weeks break (only one weeks holidays due to my shift pattern) for the start of this build so there could be a slight chance I could even finish it in that time......unless distracted by new models/projects!

• Like 1

Morning Col

Is it ok to join with the ancient Monogram 1/48 Typhoon ?

Had this in the stash for longer than I can remember, so if anyone has built one before, all advice greatly appreciated !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Morning Col

Is it ok to join with the ancient Monogram 1/48 Typhoon ?

Had this in the stash for longer than I can remember, so if anyone has built one before, all advice greatly appreciated !

cheers Pat

Good morning and Happy Monday Pat.

Ooh yes indeed. Please do. From what I understand it was a great kit at it's time and still looks the part today. Perhaps someone with more experience of it can give us a better appraisal?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Col

The other option I was considering was a Hawker Henley Vacform, but you are bound to have loads of these in the GB, so perhaps the Typhoon is a better bet :whistle:

cheers Pat

I'm sure we can't have too many examples of any Hawker product so either is good ;) Or, as @Enzo Matrix will tell us, both would be better :lol: 

So long as you're building a Hawker product and having fun that's good enough for me :D 

Edited by Col.

honestly don’t know what I’ll do when it comes around, still got millennia of sanding with my b52 so rules out the nimrod at least initially but the shar frs1 In the stash or indeed the av8a In the post seems a good place to start edit just remembered I have a tempest in the stash, haven’t done a prop plane in ages, so will have to get it out first :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm sure we can't have too many examples of any Hawker product so either is good ;) Or, as @Enzo Matrix will tell us, both would be better :lol: 

So long as you're building a Hawker product and having fun that's good enough for me :D 

I think it’s definitely going to be a Normandy invasion Typhoon...I think...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Yep, sticking with the Trumpy Sea Hawk.

Good man :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

honestly don’t know what I’ll do when it comes around, still got millennia of sanding with my b52 so rules out the nimrod at least initially but the shar frs1 In the stash or indeed the av8a In the post seems a good place to start edit just remembered I have a tempest in the stash, haven’t done a prop plane in ages, so will have to get it out first :)

I'm quite sure a Tempest, the SHAR1, then an AV8-A are well within your capabilities :D 

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

<Teal'c>

Indeed

</Teal'c>

I'm learning Enzo ;) 

27 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I think it’s definitely going to be a Normandy invasion Typhoon...I think...

What can be better than a Typhoon? A stripy Typhoon! :hobbyhorse:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

17 days to go gang. Who's got their choices made?

I have a Mark1 1/144 Hunter T.8 to do but have not finalised which of the four schemes to choose yet. I could also be tempted to pull out a 1/48 Hobbycraft Sea Fury which has been hanging about in the stash for way too long, and I have a box of goodies from PJ Productions for this one.

My only concern is that with a planned involvement in two other GB's that are running at the same time, can I devote the attention that this one deserves to finish it before the deadline. :hmmm:

• Like 1