Hawker (Siddeley) GB Chat

Col.

I have in my stash only one Hawker now - the Typhoon by Airfix which I would like to do with four blade prop etc. - the lat variant. But I am not decided yet for scheme.

I was apparently too fast, since more than a year ago I was constructing a long series of Hawkers:

Five members of Hart family:

hart family DSC05927

hart family DSC05930

And two members of Fury family

nimrod DSC02155

On shevs there are ore Hawkers. One more much older (40 years old) Fury

fury DSC04363

Two early Hurricanes

hurr DSC03262

One Sea Hurricane

hurr 2b DSC08985

And also very old Tempest and Typhoon (Frog, shapes a bit corrected)

typhoon DSC03849tempest DSC03844 

So I am not in. Sorry. Nothing interesting now to construct...

Regards and have a nice GB Gallery!

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 16

That's a fine collection of Hawkers Jerzy-Wojtek and I'm sorry to hear you won't be joining us with any other additions to your line-up. If, however, something in your local model shop or favourite on-line retailer catches your attention you'll be most welcome to join in the fun.

• Like 1

I'm going jump on board as I was about to start Kinetics new two seat Harrier.

I had made a small start (well below the 25% threshhold) but then stopped to await the release and arrival of some Eduard PE sets, that's when I noticed this GB.

Muzz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I'm going jump on board as I was about to start Kinetics new two seat Harrier.

I had made a small start (well below the 25% threshhold) but then stopped to await the release and arrival of some Eduard PE sets, that's when I noticed this GB.

Muzz

Nice timing Muzz, can't have too many Harrier in a GB so far as I'm concerned, will watch out for your thread :thumbsup: 

Guys... I've got a bit of post operation recovery time on my hands (yes all well so far), so I've post bombed everyone's Hawker (Siddeley) GB threads in order to keep a better track of all these builds.

Great to see this popular historical marque so lovingly displayed all together in model form. 

Cheers and good luck to all... Dave (... and high time to crack on with mine I should think?) 

• Like 3

Quick question: I have a kit of a potential subject that had the wings already assembled with some improvements, would this be considered under 25% ? The rest of the parts have not been assembled yet, only separated from the sprues. I know I shouldn't think of any other model before I finish the Hawk, but I saw a very intriguing picture today and I'm tempted to restart working on this one...

15 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Quick question: I have a kit of a potential subject that had the wings already assembled with some improvements, would this be considered under 25% ? The rest of the parts have not been assembled yet, only separated from the sprues. I know I shouldn't think of any other model before I finish the Hawk, but I saw a very intriguing picture today and I'm tempted to restart working on this one...

Well under the 25% mark so far as I'm concerned Giorgio so yes by all means go for it :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Well under the 25% mark so far as I'm concerned Giorgio so yes by all means go for it :D

Thanks Col.! I hope to be able to buld this one, a lot will depend on the Hawk of course.

Not declaring what subject it is for the moment, but let me say that I found the picture in this book...

fb485f62-0a51-41a1-a665-d7c4c8b53d5d.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks Col.! I hope to be able to buld this one, a lot will depend on the Hawk of course.

Not declaring what subject it is for the moment, but let me say that I found the picture in this book...

fb485f62-0a51-41a1-a665-d7c4c8b53d5d.JPG

I'm sure there is a vast aray of interesting subjects contained within the cover of your book Giorgio so won't even begin to hazard a guess. Hopefully the Hawk continues at its current pace and you have time to work on this new subject.

Hello, 

not that I am much in doubt, just to cross check and leave it to you ;)

I wanna build a Hunter I started ~ 2 years ago, don't think it is past the 25% mark, but here you have its current status: basicall yi Glued a new tail section and started glueing intakes ans gear bays....

20180224_114014_1

thanks for a heads up!

cheers, Werner

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hello, 

not that I am much in doubt, just to cross check and leave it to you ;)

I wanna build a Hunter I started ~ 2 years ago, don't think it is past the 25% mark, but here you have its current status: basicall yi Glued a new tail section and started glueing intakes ans gear bays....

20180224_114014_1

thanks for a heads up!

cheers, Werner

Looks well inside the 25% mark to me Werner. In you come and get a thread started ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Please can you count me in for this build - Id love to have a crack at this kit:

DSC00281

Of course. Feel free to get going as soon as you wish :) 

9 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks for that Col - much appreciated.  Have made a start on the cockpit in between working on my Bf110 for the BM 10th Anniversary GB.

Kris

Okay that's cool Kris, I'll look forward to your thread, have you chosen a paint scheme for it or are you going for a Reds jet as boxed in the kit?

21 minutes ago, Col. said:

Okay that's cool Kris, I'll look forward to your thread, have you chosen a paint scheme for it or are you going for a Reds jet as boxed in the kit?

Yeah I'm going for the Red's scheme like the box art as I've never built one before so thought I'd go for an iconic sheme

• Like 1

I have a dilemma, with the bench looking like my version of a boneyard

40489470542_f98d70aca0_o.jpg

I am in a quandary of what to build for this group build.

I could try something small and fairly quick, a Hurricane Mk1 from AZ

39821667314_ddac652c1e_o.jpg

Or something a bit more involved?

26598120928_cbd7f7f22e_o.jpg

40468983411_653f934a94_o.jpg

39758701964_2854cb76da_o.jpg

26598120598_77cf7ff214_o.jpg

26598121628_ea4f47549b_o.jpg

The other issue is, do I wait until some of the backlog has cleared?? How long does this GB go for? :D

• Like 3

Oh wow @Romeo Alpha Yankee! There's a lot of big jets occupying all the bench space so I'd say go with the little Hurricane for a change size if nothing else. Much as I'd love to see a Nimrod in the GB I fear you don't have the room for it quite yet and there looks to be a lot of work in your planned project for it. We have 'til 3rd June if you want to finish two or three of your current projects first.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

I think ill join in with the Airfix gift set FA.2 and a Xtrakit version of the same type with replacement wider canopy.

A double SHAR 2 thread sounds great to me :thumbsup:  Have the same two kits in my own stash and feel the Xtrakit while taking a little more effort will result in the better model. Did wonder if the old Xtrakit canopy could be used to replace the rather flat one Airfix provide though.

1 minute ago, Col. said:

A double SHAR 2 thread sounds great to me :thumbsup:  Have the same two kits in my own stash and feel the Xtrakit while taking a little more effort will result in the better model. Did wonder if the old Xtrakit canopy could be used to replace the rather flat one Airfix provide though.

mmm i shall try that canopy switch foresure.

Gotta keep the Matlow flag flying.

• Like 1

I’m no closer to deciding what to do in this GB than I was when I voted for it!

Options include Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury and Hurricane, Kinetic Harrier and Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest. Really tempted by the Tempest but think it might need to be something quicker than that since I’ve got the Mi-10 and a 737 in other GBs at the minute and also want to do something in the RAF 100th and carriers GBs - and will have to get all that done by the beginning of June as I’m off to Malaysia for work then the UK for a holiday after that. Can’t help thinking I’m not going to get all that modelling done!

So the dilemma is do I decide to go for it with the Tempest and try to get it done in 3 months, or something quicker like the Sea Fury or Hurricane, or the Harrier which will be somewhere in between? Tempest is winning at the moment.

21 minutes ago, zebra said:

I’m no closer to deciding what to do in this GB than I was when I voted for it!

Options include Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury and Hurricane, Kinetic Harrier and Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest. Really tempted by the Tempest but think it might need to be something quicker than that since I’ve got the Mi-10 and a 737 in other GBs at the minute and also want to do something in the RAF 100th and carriers GBs - and will have to get all that done by the beginning of June as I’m off to Malaysia for work then the UK for a holiday after that. Can’t help thinking I’m not going to get all that modelling done!

So the dilemma is do I decide to go for it with the Tempest and try to get it done in 3 months, or something quicker like the Sea Fury or Hurricane, or the Harrier which will be somewhere in between? Tempest is winning at the moment.

Well Z if I put my normal bias to one side ( Harrier! Do the Harrier man! Then the Sea Fury! Do them both. One after the other or together but just do them!) and even dampen down temptation (that Tempest kit is sooooooo nice :wub: how can you resist it!?! That's a kit which should never rest in the stash. Straight to the workbench with it! Go on, you know you want to. It and the Harrier and the Sea Fury will look great together and might even use some of the same paint so it would save you having to clean the airbrush as often ) to put on my sensible hat on (yuck! Who made me responsible adult!?!) and advise you to go with sothing straight-forward now and save a subject each for the RAF 100 and Carriers GB later. Both the Hurricane and Sea Fury kits look to build well by all reports but perhaps the Hurricane carries favour to leave the Sea Fury for Carriers?

Just reflecting at my recent build's apart from a little Revell 1/100 Seahawk I haven't touched a kit under 30+ yers old since October and a 1/48

scale kit since the summer so it being the traditional time of the month for kit buying(pay week) I might grab Airfix's Sea Hurricane or Tropical

boxing,I built the desert schemed version but also like the look of the silver scheme included.I have a 1/48 Airfix Hawk in Red Arrow;s guise sat in the

small stash too.I have history with this Hurricane kit.

DSCN0840%20640x480_zpshvkrfmqs.jpg

DSCN4302_zpsucbzxlyx.jpg

DSCN3751_zpsqdb2qax9.jpg

SDC13950%20640x480_zpsjjbo8l9k.jpg

• Like 6