Sci-Fi Tanks?

Apart from the silly Ep 1-3 Star Wars droid nonsense and the ever so lovely but terribly expensive Games Workshop/Forgeworld offerings are there any Sci-Fi scale models of ground forces? Any tanks or other AFV’s at all? I’ve seen some of the wonderful work in the AFV section and have begun to get a real itch to try my hand BUT I would really prefer Sci-Fi or even “ultra-futuristic” real world.

So do you chaps know of anything that might help scratch that itch? Preferably without a sky high price tag attached ;)

roymattblack that looks like the old school Genestealer Cult limo, looks very cool

12 minutes ago, Misrule said:

Bandai's M61A5

It's a big beast in 1/35th :) It is a bit pricey, same league as the newer Dragon kits but very well worth it

£100ish is way outside my tiny pockets but it does look awesome :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mechanised Dwarf said:

roymattblack that looks like the old school Genestealer Cult limo, looks very cool

£100ish is way outside my tiny pockets but it does look awesome :-)

I know the feeling, I'd love a couple more myself but the postage from Japan is nuts :P .  

Volks do a couple of tanks, one's called the edelweiss:

http://hlj.com/product/VOLSWPSSP1

There's also Industria Mechanika and they make some different AFVs with a sci-fi theme.

There was a strategy game years ago called Renegade Legion that had some cool designs in  it.

The semovente is definitely a big tank. It's getting a re-release too so might not be so much.

Carl

On 11/29/2016 at 7:03 PM, Mechanised Dwarf said:

Apart from the silly Ep 1-3 Star Wars droid nonsense and the ever so lovely but terribly expensive Games Workshop/Forgeworld offerings are there any Sci-Fi scale models of ground forces? Any tanks or other AFV’s at all? I’ve seen some of the wonderful work in the AFV section and have begun to get a real itch to try my hand BUT I would really prefer Sci-Fi or even “ultra-futuristic” real world.

So do you chaps know of anything that might help scratch that itch? Preferably without a sky high price tag attached ;)

Have you had a look at this one? I got mine from here. http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106

If you can bear the tank also being a robot, Bandai's Guntank (the Mobile Suit Origins version) is a nice kit and cheap as chips. Not in the same league as the Semovente, but good.

http://hlj.com/product/BAN996528

I've built one (almost, not finished painting yet) and it's nice.

Bandai are also re-releasing the Hildolfr (somewhat cooler 1/144 tank/robot combo) in January, and the Magella attack tanks at the same time which look pretty cool.

You might also like the Dropzone Commander tanks although they're tiny:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/united-colonies-of-mankind-ucm-land-vehicles

[edit] The other option would be to get some kind of futuristic-ish looking modern AFV (LAV, M1117, Boxer, Armata, etc. etc) and add railguns and some other bits and paint it appropriately.

Cheers,

Will

Will,

I dug out the magella - attack tanks from the stash

this morning. I presume the 'turrets' can fly off on

their own missions?

This stuff is a bit tiny for me, BTW.

Looks good on the boxtop though.

Cheers

Pete

They are pretty small. And yeah, the turrets do pop-up attacks or sometimes make a getaway when the tank is blown up. (I finally watched the original Gundam series this year so I'm a bit better informed than I was.)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies chaps, the Gundam models always look (to me anyway) very Saturday morning cartoony but rockpopandchips your ZakuTank looks fantastic; you’ve taken a kids cartoon and made it menacing! Very well done chap.

I quite like the look of the Edelweiss, quite understated, it could easily be a modern tank.

The Industria Mechanika may very well ruin me! There are some utterly gorgeous pieces there. It may be good news that I can’t afford them as I wouldn’t be able to do them justice.

The APC from Aliens was released, as was the dropship but both are rarer than hens teeth set in a necklace made from unobtainium and when you do find them they are priced accordingly.

I think at least to begin with I will get a real world AFV and then maybe follow Wills idea and add futuristic guns and bits :P

Again thanks chaps its given me lots to think about as I battle my current project

MD

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mechanised Dwarf said:

I quite like the look of the Edelweiss, quite understated, it could easily be a modern tank.

It's from Valkyria Chronicles, a tactical JRPG made by Sega. The setting's basically WW2. I have the Edelweiss and the Light Tank Shamrock. Out of the two the Edelweiss is the much better deal as it's about twice the size of the Shamrock and comes with an interior of sorts for  ¥500 more, but going the whole hog on it (crew, etch, metal barrel, lighting and the kit) will set you back ¥15,000 before shipping (just over £100) and that's if you can find it anywhere.

Like many things in modelling generally, if you want something a bit different you end up paying for it due to the lower production runs.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2016 at 4:27 PM, Karl said:

I'd love MPC to do a set of 1/48 Laser Tanks to go with their Space:1999 Eagle One.

Karl

UNCL do a laser tank in 1:48, available from Timeless Hobbies. 

Personally I've always wanted a hover tank as depicted in Traveller, The New Era: Fire, Fusion and Steel book

TNE_Fire_Fusion_%26_Steel.jpg

Got one of those Retrokit Aliens APC plus in the stash is a Halcyon one :D I also bullt the Gonzoid one for my Dropship diorama a few years back...

DSCF5109.JPG

DSCF5570.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

Have you looked at any of the Battletech tanks? They are tiny, but there are literally hundreds of designs. Maybe you could get some inspiration? 

Here are some of my favs-

The Alacorn VI:

61_psycho_15lyranreg_alacorn1.jpg

The Marsden II:

62_cyttorak_la_2nddonegalguards_marsdeni

The Musketeer Hover:

Musketeer%20Hover%20Tank.gif

The Ontos:

31_maddoc_fwl_fusilieroriente4_ontos.jpg

The SM1:

30_jalphoenix_ryukenni_sm1_1.jpg

The Striker: