Junkers Ju 87 Stuka STGB Chat

Basilisk

On 2/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, Ray_W said:

My turn for another question, rear flooring material around the gunner's position, wood (plywood) or aluminium?

Ray

Looks like aluminium with some plywood parts in a metal frame.

spacer.png

The picture is of the G-2 at Hendon.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Looks like aluminium with some plywood parts in a metal frame.

Looks particularly tenacious paint with minimal wear for an old airframe unless repainted. Note what appears to be RLM 02 on some on some of the side framing and Junkers favourite material - corrugated metal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying putting that latest Airfix 1/48 Ju-87 R-2 together. I know I am late to the party but it's a wonderful fit.

Quick tip if you have not picked up on this one already. Don't glue those tailplane struts in till after painting. The fit is so good you can use them to get the tailplane position correct, without glue, then remove them for painting. Simplifies masking.

In place for correct positioning.

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_19

Removed for painting

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a problem working out the best paint to get to do my desert Stuka. I have MH Aqueous RLM 79 sandy brown. I think it is too dark. I'm after a RLM79 Sandy yellow I think. I like the lighter look you see in profiles. I think it is a faded sun bleached look. Would Mig sand gel be the right way to go?

• 3 weeks later...

sods law strikes again! airframe and Miniature are bringing out a complete guide no 14 on the ju 87. It available for pre order on their website. Nick

18 minutes ago, Niknak said:

sods law strikes again! airframe and Miniature are bringing out a complete guide no 14 on the ju 87. It available for pre order on their website. Nick

Nick, The solution is simple, build more Stukas reflecting the ongoing increase in your level of knowledge.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only two weeks to go and great to see that there still had be some new entries :clap2:

My apology for my silence over the last two weeks, but I had to set up a home office and on top of that we started extending and renovating our house a month ago as an owner builder - and the timing sucks :( This unfortunately resulted in less time and less space for working on models, but at least I still have a job.

Fortunately VP our co-host filled the void - at least he could have, but he left a long time ago :shrug: I wonder what co-hosts are actually for???

Cheers, Peter

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

My apology for my silence over the last two weeks, but I had to set up a home office and on top of that we started extending and renovating our house a month ago as an owner builder - and the timing sucks :( This unfortunately resulted in less time and less space for working on models, but at least I still have a job.

Not to worry Peter, we have all had something else to worry about these last few weeks. 😷  On a different note, I was hoping that a Fujimi 1/72 Stuka would have been built in this GB, I had rummage tidy up of my stash and found 4 of them, a B, a D and 2 Gs.  2 weeks left on this GB. :hmmm:

On 20/03/2020 at 12:18, Niknak said:

Isn't that always the way Nick. :unsure:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Not to worry Peter, we have all had something else to worry about these last few weeks. 😷  On a different note, I was hoping that a Fujimi 1/72 Stuka would have been built in this GB, I had rummage tidy up of my stash and found 4 of them, a B, a D and 2 Gs.  2 weeks left on this GB. :hmmm:

Isn't that always the way Nick. :unsure:

Yip bob you are right there😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I might leave this here: Fred Gassit was an anarchist cartoon character who appeared each fortnight in Australian Motorcycle News for many years.

It is not entirely pee-cee, and all the Gassits were put up on the net by their author, who was inspired by a mixture of Commando comics and 'People' magazine.

• Like 1

Two more days to go and great to see all the new entries in the Gallery :clap2: Unfortunately my builds both stalled (as is always the case) as I had to do some 1/1 scale modelling.

spacer.png

As you can see, there is still a bit to do :whistle:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

As you can see, there is still a bit to do :whistle:

Hi Peter, Almost enough room to build your 1:1 Stuka. I suppose you intend to put on the undercarriage outside. Ray

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Peter, Almost enough room to build your 1:1 Stuka. I suppose you intend to put on the undercarriage outside. Ray

Indeed. After loosing currently most of my model building space for a home office, I will be spoiled for space when this is finished :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Nothing lasts for ever and this STGB is now history. Great to see that 32 models from 48 builds ended up in the Gallery which is a terrific outcome :clap2:

And everyone who didn't manage to finish in time, I hope you continue your builds and add them into the RFI section when done.

I enjoyed hosting the GB and the variation of kits build from a range of manufacturers from nearly all the countries who flew the Stuka made it all worth while.

I hope to have the Poll ready for voting soon.

Thank you all.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Basilisk

Thanks Peter for hosting the STGB with such enthusiasm and seeking out and responding to everyone's builds with great encouragement.

Ray 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

I enjoyed hosting the GB and the variation of kits build from a range of manufacturers from nearly all the countries who flew the Stuka made it all worth while.

A big thank you from this side of the planet, I wish you well with your building work. :like:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Indeed a difficult task to select a favorite as there are so many outstanding builds :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

It's nearly impossible to select a "Best of Show" in any GB.

• 5 weeks later...

Evening all,

I'd just like to reiterate my thanks to @Basilisk and co-hosts for an enjoyable and informative Group Build, I certainly got to learn a lot about the Ju87 through taking part. Thanks also to the other participants who produced some excellent builds.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1