which 1/72 Mig 29 kit for a Polish AF jet?

roym

I guess Italeri (did a UB years ago and liked it) but also aware of other brands, some good some not so good. New kits from Trumpy and Zvezda but not sure these are the right version.

All advice appreciated.

Roy

The Polish Air Force flies MiG-29UB trainers and MiG-29-12 FULCRUM-A fighters (the latter somewhat modernised). In 1/72 the Italeri -29UB is presently the best bet, but Trumpeter will soon release one of their own. The Trumpeter MiG-29-12 has better engineering than the Italeri -29-12, and my suspicion is that this will be true for the UB as well. 

For the -29As, Trumpeter's kit is presently the best (Italeri's has a too small radome, Airfix's has too big of wings, etc), but Zvezda is planning on releasing a MiG-29-12 at some point if you feel like waiting. I have the Zvezda MiG-29-13 FULCRUM-C, and it strikes me as having worse engineering and less surface detail that the Trumpeter kit, but it's also slightly more accurate shapewise. I'm using the Trumpeter kit myself, along with Attack Squadron's 1/72 Polish Mig-29 update set.

• Like 1

What Procopius said.

Trumpeter is THE choice for a 9.12 Fulcrum. Fit is good and surface detail is among the best I've seen in this scale. Miles ahead of the Italeri which was the previous best. There are some accuracy issues but not critical ones, my main complaint being the shape of the canopy when looked from above (tapers too much at the rear). 

Zvezda will be releasing a 9.12 but who knows when. Their 9.17 (MiG-29SMT) is next in line for next year  they are slower than Trumpeter in releasing new variants.

The current Italeri MiG-29 single seater boxing has a few upgraded parts (new nozzles, new probes on the vertical tails), and a very nice decal sheet including a rather snazzy Polish option:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/978106-italeri-1377-mig-29-fulcrum

I plan to fit a spare Trumpeter radome on mine.

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 01-12-2016 at 9:34 AM, Hook said:

The current Italeri MiG-29 single seater boxing has a few upgraded parts (new nozzles, new probes on the vertical tails), and a very nice decal sheet including a rather snazzy Polish option:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/978106-italeri-1377-mig-29-fulcrum

I plan to fit a spare Trumpeter radome on mine.

Cheers,

Andre

It's difficult to me to see the problem in the Italeri radome... Do you know of a picture to put in a ore graphic fashion to see the difference?

Regards.,

Javier