'SoCal' Beetle

Oooer. What am I doing down here in the Vehicle section??

Well, despite describing my interests as 'aircraft', I must admit also to a passing interest in old/classic vehicles, and in particular air cooled Vee Dubs. So here is my take on a 'So Cal look' Beetle. From the Airfix 1/32 kit. 

20161128_225213.jpg

20161128_225229.jpg

20161128_225241.jpg

20161128_225434.jpg

20161128_225356.jpg

20161128_225321.jpg

20161128_225615.jpg

20161128_225303.jpg

20161128_225659.jpg

The shiny chrome was Bare-Metal foil (first go and I like it a lot), and Alclad chrome for some of the smaller curved bits. I enjoyed the departure from 1/72 aircraft, and shall no doubt be doing a few more old bangers.

Hope you like it, cheers. 

• Like 10

Having had five 1:1 Beetles in our family and my interest in building aircooled kits over the years, you've made a grand job of this one Smudge, well done! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

10 hours ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

...............Nerf bars look great, as does its stance. Did the kit come with an option to lower it

Afraid not! I just bent the rear axles up a bit and did some creative chopping on the front beam. :)  

8 hours ago, PatW said:

Having had five 1:1 Beetles in our family........

My Mum had two of these back in the 70's, a red one and then a blue one, but she never did 'slam' them. It was just a funny old car back then!

3 hours ago, Mike100 said:

I love the lowered ride height with the rears cambered to....

I wasn't too sure about the back end, glad you like it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Nice job indeed.  Saw one the other day drive past at work, coincidently much the same colour as yours Smudge .... always had a soft spot for the Beetle :)

BillyD

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

On 11/29/2016 at 7:34 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Saw a nice one this morning in Chesterfield, a '72 or '73. Four cars behind it in the queue was a '74 VW bus.

On 12/1/2016 at 0:06 PM, Billydick said:

Saw one the other day drive past at work, coincidently much the same colour as yours Smudge .... always had a soft spot for the Beetle :)

I see quite a few around here myself, driving to and from work etc. Amazing how popular and long lived they are for what was essentially a cheap and cheerful car. Wouldn't mind one myself.

On 11/29/2016 at 5:44 PM, keefr22 said:

- would never guess it was from the stone age Airfix kit!

Yes, not bad for an oldie, captures the look and shape quite well. I really enjoyed making it. I would like to get some more Airfix cars, but they seem to be very expensive and collectable ie, the, Victor, Sprite, Maxi etc.  I think I might do the Triumph Herald next as it's currently available and I rather like the old British cars of my early childhood. Did they do a Hillman Imp?

Cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smudge said:

Yes, not bad for an oldie, captures the look and shape quite well. I really enjoyed making it. I would like to get some more Airfix cars, but they seem to be very expensive and collectable ie, the, Victor, Sprite, Maxi etc.  I think I might do the Triumph Herald next as it's currently available and I rather like the old British cars of my early childhood. Did they do a Hillman Imp?

Every time I see an Airfix wish list on one of their stands at shows I ask for them to re-issue the 'classic' cars - they haven't listened yet! And the prices they go for on e-bay are just stupid - 2 to 300 quid? Some people really do have more money than sense!! I'd really like to build them all again too, but not at those prices!

I'm pretty sure they never did an Imp. There are 1/32 resin slot car bodies of both standard Imps & the 'fastback' Stilletto available - with some scratchbuilding or kitbashing a Herald or Viva kit with one I think a nice model would result.

Keith

Edit: this is one of the resin Imp shells;

http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/hillman-imp-resin-kit.html

• Like 1

On 12/4/2016 at 11:47 AM, DWC1968 said:

I love the colour.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:26 AM, rockpopandchips said:

Would you mind letting me know what paint and colour that is?

Thanks Guys,

I chose the colour because it reminded me of my Mum's old Beetle. Also, it is just good old Humbrol gloss enamel No.47 Sea Blue, so I just picked it up at the local model shop.

I thinned it and sprayed it direct on to the plastic. I cleaned and de greased the surface and polished it up, it didn't need a primer. It went on lovely and I think the gloss finish is just right.

• Like 2