Mixing scales

neillbill

I started off last year to do a 'British Airliners' build in 144 scale. Doing ok so far but it seems that some of the smaller interesting types would be easier to do in 72 scale, availability of kits and decals. I am kind of reluctant to do this as part of the process is to see how the different airliners look like next to each other, like how small a Comet is compared to a 707. Anyone building in mixed scale and how do you display them, in separate cases or whatever?

Just my thoughts: Continue the series i 1/144 and then choose some of your favourite planes and build them in a larger scale as stand-alones.

I plan on doing this with a couple of C-130's in 1/144 and then one in 1/72.

Cheers :bye:

Hans J.

Over the years I have been building a collection of classic airliners in 1/144, and for pretty much the reason you state (ie comparison of sizes etc) I've just stuck to the same scale. Visually I can't appreciate the comparison of say a 1/72 DC3 alongside a 1/144 Britannia, but when they are both in 1/144, it's there in front of you to see directly what the differences are without trying to mentally "see" one of them in the others' scale. Just my opinion though, I'm sure other people have the mental processing power to make cross scale comparisons easier!.

Andy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billneill said:

I started off last year to do a 'British Airliners' build in 144 scale. Doing ok so far but it seems that some of the smaller interesting types would be easier to do in 72 scale, availability of kits and decals. I am kind of reluctant to do this as part of the process is to see how the different airliners look like next to each other, like how small a Comet is compared to a 707. Anyone building in mixed scale and how do you display them, in separate cases or whatever?

Well, as you state above, this would be a subset of the collection and as it would concentrate on the, "Smaller interesting types", so I think that it would work well. Both subsets would be to a constant scale, so the difference between airframes is readily noticeable. The scale variance between both subsets is a factor of 2, so it would not be that difficult to image an airframe twice as large or small to compare between the subsets.

I have tried many times to stick to a single scale in a project. But I find that the constraints of the implied limitation tend to wear thin when I become aware of other elements that could belong in the project, but can only be found in a different scale. Yup, I have Magpie moments, "Ohhhh, look at that, bright and shiny...".

In the end it is you collection, so as long as you are enjoying the process, go with what gives you that joy.

Christian, exiled to africa

Magpie moments, indeed.  Or in some cases, you're forced to switch scale simply based on availability, or sometimes cost.  My first thought with your particular dilemma was that a 1/144 Dragon Rapide was going to be quite small, if you can get one.

I, too, would keep the scales apart, lest they interbreed and get everything mixed up.  A human figure could help the casual (or enthusiastic) viewer to get a sense of proportion- no need to "do it up right" as a finished figure, unless you want to.

While it doesn't relate to the airliner problem particularly, I've experienced an odd phenomenon: my avowed scale is 1/48, as a compromise between the "less refined" (in the old days) and wee 1/72 and the "too big, too limited, too expensive, perhaps too detailed" 1/32.  But I have a Fw 190 (1/48) on a shelf that a friend had built, and several times when I passed by it, I thought, "Boy, that seems kinda unimpressively small..."  Similarly at contests the physical presence of a 1/32 Spitfire or P-40 is pleasing in a way that the 1/48 one isn't quite.  As for the 1/72 (single engine WWII fighters) I have to remind myself to pay attention to that part of the table.

Nevertheless, while I have spilled over into 1/32 for some of my particular favorites, I ALSO have found myself strangely attracted to 1/72 versions of those same favorites!  I hold Airfix of recent years partially to blame :rolleyes:  (I also have a 1/144 PBY- I love the type, and it was a surprisingly "good" looking kit, so what could I do?)

bob

• Like 1

I sympathise with you because I have a similar dilemma.  I like 1/72nd scale and (for aircraft) insist on not hopping to any other scale randomly whenever it suits.  But the work I have seen on this forum for larger airliners in 1/144th scale is really inspiring me to go for that scale, for that subject type.  Let's face it, even an A320 or 737 (for example) in 1/72nd is an expensive and hard-to-find option, needing a lot of display space; whereas going for half that size is easier on the pocket and provides a great variety in subject matter.  The idea of displaying the two scales in separate cabinets (or sections of the same cabinet) seems to be the way to go.

Aeroclub released a 1/144 Dragon Rapide just a few years back.  You are lucky in that there are an increasing number of models coming out in 1/144, particularly if you are willing to accept resins, vacforms, and other short-run variants.  Or even diecasts, at least for the smaller/older subjects as they can always serve as a good basis for different liveries, if you can get the right ones.

I was a fairly pure 1/72 modeller, but have recently come to the opinion that it is just too big a scale (and life too short) for the majority of airliners.  Now that rather nice models are available in 1/144 for types such as the Dakota, the only problem is the shortage of transfers for them.

I have a similar problem, in that I don't have space to display "larger" types in 1/72 (my preferred scale for my mostly military collection), so, when I can find larger types in 1/144, I go for it!

One possible solution to the scale display dilemma, would be to choose a type that represents the largest you want to build in 1/72, say,for example a Vickers Wellington (or a Viking for the civil modeller),

build an example in both scales, display each with the appropriate models, and thus link your scales with a similar model in both.

My personal cut-off point between scales is the RAF's WW2 4-engined "Heavies", Lancaster and Halifax.

However, some models cry out to be impressive in a larger scale e.g., The Heinkel He111Z is much more impressive in 1/72 than in 1/144, and more impressive yet in 1/32 (the conversion is -or was- available!)

but that way lies Madness!

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, billneill said:

For me, I guess it depends on subject, availability and feasibility. For fighters I generally prefer 1/48, airliners, 1/72 unless it starts getting a little silly size wise then I might mix it up a little. So I have the 707 and Concorde in 72, but a 747 in 100, to which I will probably pair Tamiya's Shuttle Orbiter. There's still a real shortage of good kits above 144 unfortunately. It would be great to see a Trident or VC-10 done as a top notch styrene kit.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:34 AM, MadNurseGaz said:

One possible solution to the scale display dilemma, would be to choose a type that represents the largest you want to build in 1/72, say,for example a Vickers Wellington (or a Viking for the civil modeller),

build an example in both scales, display each with the appropriate models, and thus link your scales with a similar model in both.

Now that is a good idea!   Thanks for putting that forward. :thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago when I first started to do organised themes I went for 'RAF Fighters' I built all I could find including prototypes in 72, then major types in 48 then a couple of types in 32. then finally the Airfix Hurricane in 24. My next theme was RAF bombers all in 72, skipped the bigger scales for practically.

So I'm now into British airliners in 144 but its clear I'm going to have to skip some types or build them in 72.

Anybody like to suggest a 'British Airliners' list which is comprehensive and doable all in 144?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by neillbill