FW 109A

Aerofix

Personally, I would recommend waiting if you can, as Eduard are in the process of re-tooling their 190A series with entirely new moulds. The originals, though building into decent kits, were notoriously challenging due to the many open panels and rather overcomplicated construction. See the thread below for news relating to the new kit.

If you absolutely can't wait until next year, then any of the existing 190A's should be just as good as the next, as they're all of the same vintage.

Edit: Just to clarify that my comments pertain to the 1/48 kits only. For 1/72 see the comprehensive answers below.

regards,

Jason

I am not of much help on the 1/48 kits, but here is what they've done so far in 1/72.  

Eduard gives each sprue in these kits the number 70110, followed by a suffix letter.  With the release of the new F-8 Profi, they have completed a family of sprues, designated A through J.  The sprues' suffix letters and descriptions are listed below.

(Quick notes on my nomenclature:  "Early" wing = MG FF cannon in outer bay; for the real-life A-2, 3, 4, 5.  "Standard" wing = MG 151 in outer bay, smooth top surface; A-6, 7, early 8.  "Universal" wing = MG 151 or MK 108 in outer bay, bump on top surface; A-8, 9 and F-8, 9.  "Sturmbock" fuselage = full set of applique armor plate.)

The sprues:
A - big sprue of common detail parts for all variants
B - small sprue of ground attack parts
C - A-8 fuselage + universal wing w/MG 151
D - clear parts for all variants
E - A-8 Sturmbock fuselage + universal wing w/MK 108
F - F-8 fuselage + universal wing w/empty outer bay
G - A-5 fuselage + early wing w/MG FF
H - A-8 fuselage + standard wing w/MG 151
I - A-8 fuselage + standard wing w/empty outer bay
J - A-5 fuselage + early wing w/empty outer bay

Note, the narrow center bay of all the fuselage-wing sprues is identical.  It has the rudder, tailplanes, and ailerons which are common to all variants; as well as all the variations of nose gun and top cowl panels.  Think of it as kind of an extension of sprue A.

The kits released so far have these sprues:
A-8 Profi: A, C, D
A-5 Profi: A, D, G, J 
F-8 Profi: A, B, D, F
A-8/R2 Weekend: A, D, E
A-8 Standard Wing Weekend: A, D, H
A-5 Heavy Fighter Weekend: A, D, G
A-8 Royal Class: Ax4, Cx2, Dx4, Ex2, Ix1.

Eduard just announced an A-5 Light Fighter Weekend for December.  No doubt that one will have sprues A, D, J.

For a time, Eduard sold a "small overtrees" set that had only sprues A and D.  One of those sets gives you all the plastic needed for the A-5 Profi kit to be two complete models, and similarly lets you use all five fuselage-wing sprues in the Royal Class boxing.  It's a pretty awesome "fixer" set for a couple of leftover Hasegawa kits too, LOL.

It will be interesting to see what future variants Eduard comes up with!  There will surely be a dedicated night fighter boxing since the antennas are on sprue A.  Also note that sprue I has not yet been released in a normal kit, only the Royal, so perhaps a future A-6/7/8 Light Fighter is out there.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MDriskill said:

Also note that sprue I has not yet been released in a normal kit, only the Royal, so perhaps a future A-6/7/8 Light Fighter is out there.

Although sprue "I" has not been released in a "normal kit", when the Royal Class boxing first came out, you were also able to buy the Overtrees boxing (#70115X) that contained it.  I wish I had bought a few more of those than I had.

Interestingly, in the Royal Class boxing, the only aircraft of all the 190s covered that used this sprue, was Priller's.

Sincere thanks to all of you for your advice. Unfortunately, my eyesight is not good enough for 1/72 so let's see what the new year brings us!

Regards David

10 minutes ago, Aerofix said:

Sincere thanks to all of you for your advice. Unfortunately, my eyesight is not good enough for 1/72 so let's see what the new year brings us!

Regards David

If you haven't yet purchased any of the Eduard 1:48 kits, have you considered one of the new-tool Hasegawa offerings? The line includes most of the variants from A-3 to -8 and is quite good.

22 minutes ago, Aerofix said:

Regards David

What you need is one of these:

41yy8++1i7L._SX342_.jpg

http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor

They work great! I love mine. I'd never be able to work with those tiny photo-etch pieces without it.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Eduard are retooling the Fw 190A's? Really? I must say, I didn't find them THAT tough (though I almost wrecked a D-11 when the wing spar slide abut 1mm after clamping - which wasn't noticed until after painting and decaling, when the gear was going on!)

Interesting though, because I have always buttoned them up, which is a minor pain!

D