Wessie 5, part of my threesome now on its lonesome....

moaning dolphin

Good afternoon all from a dull, bleak and slightly snowy Nova Scotia, I originally had the intention of doing all 3 of my builds on one post but I feel this one may get quite a bit deeper than my intention for the 1:72 efforts so have opted to put this in a new post all on its lonesome. I will be building Italeri's Mark 5 in 1:48, it is after all the most accurate Wessex in 48th out there (standing fast for the Heritage version incase that turns out better!) so it seems the ideal choice. I am opting for an OOB version, the sandy spinach scheme of XS482 from Farnborough. It'll make a nice contrast to all the plain greens and greys. I also have the eduard external set, for all the fittings and fixtures. I have heard this set over emphasizes hinges etc but will suck it and see how it looks. I also have the self adhesive cockpit set and the Scale Warship rotor fold set.

Due to problems in work I can update the progress but not post pictures, so I will be updating the text and then editing from my phone straight afterwards (its too laborious to do it all on my phone!). It seems to work well but gets a touch long winded, so if you see text explaining the stages but don't see any pictures just come back in a few minutes and it should be fixed! So to catch up all the pre build phots.

20161105_144047_zpsdm5qfp8a.jpg

20161105_144217_zpstywzcnnj.jpg

20161105_143413_zpsiqzavpya.jpg

Now to pick up on the build progress, the first thing that I noticed was the cockpit floor and the kits version of the rudder pedals molded in the floor. They are garbage I thought and proceeded to cut them off and smooth the area out ready to put some nice scratch built ones.

20161107_195832_zpsquwj0rst.jpg

After this I then noticed that the kit provides rudder pedals and I had just chopped up a perfectly good floor. Oh well at least it will be hidden under the IP! I have now learned my lesson and will read ahead before committing any cutting tools:D

So far I have built up the cockpit floor and back wall (not much to build up), painted black and stuck on the etch. The only change I did was to fold the etch throttle quadrant so it was a lot more compact like the aircraft, The back wall is just waiting for a bit of green.

20161126_095144_zps7vfdumjb.jpg

I then looked at the cabin which is not very well represented, especially the seats. So using a load of useful resources (namely previous builds as there is not a lot else out there) I tried to make up my own. First off I see people doing nice bits of soldering work with brass rod, so with my cheap Chinese hot pencil I had a go

20161126_095112_zpsc1mm7ihw.jpg

This took me ages and I am not 100% happy so had a go with some plastic rod. I would prefer this as I could make everything oversize and then easily cut it all down. So I made up a jig from lego and sticky tape to get the cross beams in the right position.

20161127_140205_zpslg3uxvod.jpg

This was then secured to the front bar as so

20161127_140428_zps4muuj64o.jpg

When this had dried I cut the cross beams to size and fitted the other bar using the same method, I then added the legs and side bars, so this is the naked framework ( the large seat has a smidge of artistic license because I cant find a decent reference, and the several I did find were all different! so I made a few allowances!).

20161127_201343_zpsqedvosd9.jpg

I then had a go at the canvas covers, I tried tin foil which is a bit too flimsy and ally shim which is a touch too rigid, I need something like lead or ally tape so will have a look out for some of that. But here is what it looks like so far

20161127_213844_zpsfmmeiauw.jpg

Then it was time for the Grey Cup which I promised I would sit and watch with my lad, so rest of the night was snacks and Canadian Football!

Hopefully more progress soon!

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Pictures
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, perdu said:

You could try the metal foil that needs removing when you open a fresh jar of instant coffee

If you use anything as crude as instant that is

Have fun

A good suggestion and I remembered that my lad opened a tub of drinking chocolate only the other night, so I rummaged through the bin and found it! but alas it tuned out to be shiny plastic and not foil :(, not sure what you mean by instant coffee? Is that when you go through the Tim Hortons drive through? :evil_laugh: I did find some sticky (very sticky!) ally tape which I tried. The adhesive layer is quite thick but from what you'll be able to see it looks ok. I keep looking out for artistic lead or ally tape but can't seem to track that down. For now I think it will do, photos to follow in a short while.

Cheers now

Bob

Great work on the seat, the cross member pattern really was a work of art form Westlands. How and why they couldn't have just divided the seat length by the number of bums per row requires and then added the cross member, I'll never know.

The 72nd kit offerings are as fitted to the H-34 and hence not usable.

Colin

9 hours ago, Rodders154 said:

What about the tape that nurses use? The white stuff it looks like canvas when painted.

Rodders

Micropore is the trade name of the brand leader. You can buy a cheaper generic version in Boots, local pharmacies, etc.. In Canada, I am sure CVS or Shoppers Drug Mart (they're both in Canada aren't they?) will have it. 

Thanks for the heads up on the seats. I was looking at them again and I just didn't like the look of them. I testes it out with a spare swordfish crew to gauge the size. I like to use them to estimate as opposed to measuring so this is how they looked.

20161130_185326_zpsjvxeort6.jpg

That's one bum per two seats so a touch under sized. I then had another go at bras and solder usING a similar method as above and this time I managed a semblance of neatness. A quick check revealed a more realistic size

20161130_185234_zpscnewgyf6.jpg

I then had another go with the ally tape and am much happier and so are my crew. It's more like 1.15 seats per bum which is more or less bang on!

20161130_193559_zpsi9z1u2o7.jpg

The seat legs however were a little off so there needed to be a slight adjustment and they were a bit of a bugger to fit. I just can't believe how accurate to the real thing they are lol!

20161130_191920_zpsn5j3t4gt.jpg

I did try to line the feet up with the lashing points in the floor but there is one leg that does come anywhere near so may need to fit a new ring bolt! 

That's all for now

Bob

• Like 6

So a bit more of an update, unlike my 1:72 efforts I wanted to display the doors open on this one so had a look at the internal detail. The kit comes with molded on detail for the frames but this is not really that accurate and there is a lot of tubing that runs through the frames which I think wouldn't look right on top of the frames. So it was orf with the detail. I then marked out and scribed the where the frames would go and then using various thicknesses of wire added the pipework and also a couple of internal solid bits. I then used plastic strip (2mm wide I think) and used that for the frames, this did involve having to do some careful cut outs where they went over the pipework but it gives a more satisfying look.

20161204_162059_zpszjeocq7q.jpg

I then fitted the internal frame work to see how it would all look, I don't know why this one is upside down but hey ho. Also noticed the scratch built front bulk head because the kit effort is just wrong. This was made from plastic, with the same plastic strip to act as the steps. The panels are ally shim with the ribs embossed on the rear and then cut down to size. I shall take a better picture later, I forgot to document that!

20161204_164725_zpsylt3mstn.jpg

All the ribs are now in place and just waiting for the numerous fishplates to be fitted (which has now been done and primed). Next update will hopefully show the completed sidewall.

20161204_190124_zpsonlex61x.jpg

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

Hi Bob, looking very good indeed. If you want to be more authentic with the cabin floor, then remove the detail. We used a sheet of 8mm ply to protect the soft material used by Westlands. Painted/sealed with a couple of coats of marine varnish but they quickly got dirty.

Colin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Bob, looking very good indeed. If you want to be more authentic with the cabin floor, then remove the detail. We used a sheet of 8mm ply to protect the soft material used by Westlands. Painted/sealed with a couple of coats of marine varnish but they quickly got dirty.

Colin

Would it be like the seaking freight floor, made up of lots sheets like a big jigsaw? I was pondering on it and having holes made for all the lashing points, or did the wood have its own lashing points? Would certainly smooth that lumpy floor out!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I have been chipping away slowly on this and started working towards the cockpit area. The seats are reasonable but not accurate so had a go at improving them. I stuck with the original cushion and shaped that to represent the shape of the bottom of the seat. I then used plastic card to box in the bottom to give it more shape. On the real thing there is a large overhang due to the PSP (Pilots survival pack) which contains his dingy and survival equipment should he ditch. This then has a cushion on it and then a fluffy seat cover to keep the pilots butt nice and cosy! The existing kit seat is reshaped to represent the PSP and will have an additional cushion and fluffy seat cover added after painting. The bottom will be painted yellow. I decided to use the kit seat sides but lobbed off the right angled bit as they are too long and bulky, and done a rough representation, a lot of this wont be very visible because of how it sits in the cockpit. I also added a couple of wire stays, a top reinforcing rod and a seat harness loop from wire.

20161220_200225_zps8ct5dxc8.jpg

20161220_200245_zpsyosdu2mm.jpg

These have now gone for a prime, and will get a coat of black soon. I will then fit the Eduard prepainted harness and the cushion and butt warmer along with a canvass sheet that hangs from those wire stays, then it will be time to fit it all together. I have also painted the internal quilting and have primed my 'freight floor' which is basically sheets of plywood to protect the floor from Booties rifle butts!

More to come very soon

Bob

• Like 3

20161221_195938_zpsxdrqxbgw.jpg

Just a small update on those seats, I have painted the PSP in a nice bright yellow and the back cushion in standard olive drap. I used chrome yellow from Model MAster but the problem is this paint is very translucent and to paint over a black background is a right royal pain in the butty. I applied several coats and it looks ok now. I have made up a couple of cushions from lead tape and painted these in a nice olive as well and I just need to knock up a nice sheepskin rug and then itll be out with the etch, at last I seem to be making some progress on this.

Bob

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hendie said:

Some coke cans and an AP or two will really set the inside off a treat

This is a Naval cab not Air Force!.............I was thinking more about nutty wrappers and paper 'wets' cups :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Aaron, 

Ahem *cough* Bob :D

Been doing a bit more on the cockpit last night, tidying up and adding etch. All in all turned out not too bad. Have fitted the floor and flying controls, given it a dirty was and a dry brush. Here we have it.

20161223_090126_zps71xnecqz.jpg

The cushion and fluffy cover were made from ally tape. For the cushion I stuck two pieces back to back, shaped and painted. The fluffy cover was one sheet and then the sticky side was stuck to my jumper to fluff it up. It was then painted a creamy white (the other side was olive like the cushions). They were placed haphazardly on the seat and that was that!

20161223_090133_zps7q2oe9mg.jpg

Now for those in the know there is a HUGE error with what I have done, not that I can do much about it. It was made by both Eduard and ItalerI.  Hey ho just hope no one notices :D. Back into the cabin now to try and get this beast together before the years end.

Laters!

Bob

• Like 3

certainly looks good, i would be happy with it. My belts came molded into the seat and i....couldnt be bothered to sand them off and knock up my own. i think i should have now after looking at yours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hendie said:

My first guess would be:  Started with an italeri kit !

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I AGREE WIV 'IM^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or

it's the 'tween seats console innit

Or is it?

Advice

Don't go looking at mine, its a converted Airfix MRCA doodah - adapted

Oh

It's not the console.............

• Like 1

You deliberately stuck it to your fluffy jumper! Wow! what did your wife say about that? 

Sounds  extremely dangerous to me. I've been in real trouble accidentally sticking things to my clothes. 

Colin w

• Like 1