CH-46 / KV-107 STGB Chat

modelling minion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right then guys and girls we have a couple of options available.

Option 1 is for us to stay the way we are and keep plugging away to try to get another 7 to sign up, we could all reach out to people we think might join in.

Option 2 is for us to widen the scope a bit and make it a twin rotors GB encompassing the likes of the Chinook, H-21, Kamov Ka-25 and others. Now whilst this will no doubt bring in some extra numbers it means that we will no longer be a STGB but will be a GB and that means we will need 30 to sign up and then have to go through the GB vote to get the go ahead, and I have my doubts as to whether we will make it.

And that brings us to option 3, making it another (the 3rd?) helicopter GB which opens it up to all types and hopefully would be popular enough to get through the GB vote.

I am interested to hear the thoughts of any of you who care to reply.

My own preference is to keep plugging away for a STGB as when/if we get to 25 signed up we are  guaranteed a spot, unlike if we switch to a GB.

Please let me know.

Craig.

You know what?

For once I'm not against widening the scope, from an STGB to a GB.

Just because I think a Double Rotor GB is a brilliant idea, far away from the usually boring 90% GB themes.

But be it a GB or an STGB I don't mind. I've only a Chinook for the former, and I'll buy something for the latter.

So please, count me in!

Quick question comes to mind, in the case of a GB, can I consider an Osprey?

• Like 1

Really glad to have you aboard Antoine.

I like the idea of a twin rotors GB too, but as you say it's different from the 90% of other GB's that go through and I think that could be the problem, as 90% of GB voters probably wouldn't vote for it. But we will see, maybe if we get through we should propose the twin rotor GB as well.

As for the Osprey, my own thoughts would be yes it qualifies as part of it's reason for being is operating in the vertical as a helicopter.

Cheers for the website link. Quite helpful. But I think the APU mod to the later ones to enter RCAF service may be a little tricky to do on the Kits.... unless someone else knows better. I have seen all the Fujimi issues and none have that APU in the kit. The version I have is with the Japanese decals but will go with the Belcher bits decals. I quite fancy doing one of the Army ones but they all seem to have the APU so I may wel go with the colourful red white blue one.

• Like 1

The red, white and blue ones are amongst the best marked helicopters in my book so it would be great to see one built for the GB. I did a H-21 in the same scheme years ago from the Italeri kit and still like it today. I think that Belcher do a conversion with the APU, I like the look of some of the Army ones too and have his decal sheet (somewhere) which has some on it and they would certainly look different.

10 hours ago, Paul J said:

I quite fancy doing one of the Army ones but they all seem to have the APU so I may wel go with the colourful red white blue one.

Just had a quick check online Paul and I believe the Hobbycraft CH-113 has the APU in the tail, I have seen some very nice builds of them online and you could always do a kit bash with your Fujimi ones.

@Antoinethat will certainly do if we go down the twin rotors GB route, but I have a feeling you might need a CH-46/KV-107 as we are getting quite close to the numbers needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antoine said:

I know, it was expected.

I've an idea about where I'll find that kit, together with Printscale decals if the box's options doesn't suits me.

;)

Printscale do some great decals for both the CH-46 and the KV-107, I have them myself.

And if anyone fancies something a bit different how about the one in this picture?

62wn54re3llx.jpg

It's a V-107 used by Columbia Helicopters and its towing, yes towing, a hover barge in Alaska. They use them for all sorts of heavy lift operations and also for fire fighting, would certainly make for a different model!

Craig, I would prefer this to stay as a STGB, as I think that if you do go to a Twin Rotor GB the target and ship building mob may say that they would not be included, and so the range of people that you want to vote for that GB would be narrower.

• Like 2

Put me down Craig, I'm 50% through a build at the moment, the 1/72nd HobbyBoss kit and it's going into the markings you posted above, the grey Marines with dayglow numbers... I do however have one in 1/48th, also going to be a fire bomber but a more vibrant scheme.... so I can enter that ;)

• Like 1