Camouflage Net (Tan, Green & White 1:35)

Mike

Camouflage Net (Tan, Green & White)

1:35 Tetra Model Works

boxtop.jpg

There have been a few attempts by manufacturers to create a realistic moden camouflage net with varying degrees of success.  Photo-Etch (PE) is too rigid with a relatively small area available as a single piece, paper is too fragile and will tear under stress.  We met Tetra Model Works Yong-Joo Park from Korea at Scale Modelworld 2016, and he gave us a pack of the tan and green camo nets to review, although we understand from the instructions that white is also available for winter or NATO applications.

The packs arrive in a long slender clear foil bag, with the netting folded in half and taped to a backing card.  Looking through the bag this seems like it could be a bad idea, as how will you get the tape off without damage?  Fret not.  Sliding the card out of the resealable bag shows the material off well enough to establish that this is actually material.  A man-man fibre that is woven into a very fine cloth, and either through design or because it is laser cut (I don't know), it doesn't fray.  It is also pretty strong, surviving the removal of the tape with no damage or signs of stress.  Behind the card is a short pictorial instruction sheet, which tells you to take it in your hand and scrunch it up into a ball to soften the fibres and let it drape more naturally. 

camo1.jpg

camo2.jpg

camo3.jpg

You are then incited to pull and stretch it in both directions to open up the cuts and reveal the "Pringles" style curved cut-outs that give it its unique disguising texture.  The more your crumple it, the more realistic it looks, so don't be afraid to give it plenty of kneading, as the material can handle it.  Once scrunched and stretched a few times it measures around 9' x 6' (150mm X 220mm stated on the pack), although that will vary depending on how crumpled the sheet is.   I performed a small paint test, dabbing a little Panzer Grey on one edge, and although it did wick very slightly it wasn't very long before the paint was dry, with just a slight blurring of the edge.  A dryish airbrushing is probably best if you wanted to apply dust or dirt effects after application.

You can see a brief demonstration from Tetra themselves in the video below:

Conclusion

This seems to be the perfect way to create realistic camouflage netting for your modern armour.  It's tough and flexible, already the correct colour assuming you buy the right shade, and reasonably priced.

Very highly recommended.

You can buy direct by quoting the product codes from the page, and clicking the Contact button.

Tan

bin.jpg

Green

bin.jpg

White

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

It clearly can, as there are pictures on the instructions of it held in some complex shapes.  I'd imagine that thick(ish) PVA or CA would do the job, although I'd test the CA on a corner first, just in case :)  if it hadn't just taken me 10 minutes to get the sheet back in its bag, I'd have done a quick test myself! :lol:

These are very good I can vouch for them I think the old technique of diluted white glue would be great on these . They need to sag a little .

they're about £10 but they are quite big .

Edited by sonofjim

• 2 weeks later...