Wingnut Wings 1/32 AEG G.IV - Finished

Viking

Just caught up with this it's looking great! Are you sure the aluminium part at the rear of the cylinders should be fitted? I'm fairly sure that's the interupter gear.....

Ian

• Like 1

Missed the start of this build, gorgeous work so far. I have the early version in my stash and will be glad to follow your build for tips. How fast did the lozenge decals take to conform to the plastic underneath? I built the Hansa Brandenburg W12 last year and that was my first brush in with WNW lozenge decal, it had me rather worried at first but after about a day the decals had settled down nicely.

Cheers,

Julian

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 10:45 PM, limeypilot said:

Just caught up with this it's looking great! Are you sure the aluminium part at the rear of the cylinders should be fitted? I'm fairly sure that's the interupter gear.....

Ian

Which part ian? The main bits there are the timing gear for the cams, the magnetos, small flywheel, and induction system for the carbs. None of that is associated with the interupter gear, which would normally be at the gun end of things, with either a cable or hydraulic drive pick up the engine. Looking at the photos of the real thing in the Wingnuts instructions shows that everything on the model is accurately reproduced.

On 1/6/2017 at 7:11 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Missed the start of this build, gorgeous work so far. I have the early version in my stash and will be glad to follow your build for tips. How fast did the lozenge decals take to conform to the plastic underneath? I

Cheers,

Julian

Julian, the lozenge decals took about 24 hours to settle fully. They have been no trouble at all.

On with build, I sprayed the gondolas XF-17 Sea blue then masked them off to spray the framewoks in ciadel Catachan green.

aeg39.jpg

Then on to the rudder, to give a hint of the underlying framework and also break up the plain white appearance. The famework was depiceted in thin strips of Tamiya tape, then lightly oversprayed with Tamiya 'Smoke'

aeg40.jpg

Removing the tape, I then blended it back with some spyed white to give just a hint of the underlying framework. It is very subtle and hopefully shows up in the photo.

aeg41.jpg

Back to the engines, the gondolas & frames now dry fit nicely, it is time to remove them and wiggle in those engines and close up the frames where they join around them.

aeg42.jpg

Engines installed without too much trouble, exhausts given a hinto of 'blueing' on the rearmost sections, and the Wolff props finished.

aeg43.jpg

Engines showing oill tanks (both tanks face towards the fuselage).

aeg44.jpg

Outside faces of engines. The one on the right has a generator installed just gehind the gondola.

aeg45.jpg

Now all glued in! (apart from the props)

aeg46.jpg

aeg47.jpg

aeg48.jpg

This is a milestone in the build, all the hard work is done and probably about 75% of the time needed to complete the model. There is all the wings, strutting & rigging to go, but it consists of relatively few parts (but an awful lot of lozenge decal!).

I am massively enjoying this project, everything fits like a dream and is so rewarding to work on. Wingnut Wings really do produce the best kits on the market IMHO.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 13

The tall aluminium coloured piece at the rear, with the disk and a little handle on it. I may be wrong but I'd always assumed that was the interrupter gear, although it could be the cam gear, now you mention it.

I just referenced the TVAL engine site and the part I thought was the interrupter is the cam drive and decompression lever. Should have checked that first!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
updated info
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 9:03 PM, ROBOT said:

Wow,

I could NEVER bring up enough courage (or skills) to tackle a WWI project, but I enjoy watching birds from WNW getting built to perfrection by you.

That is such a beautyful and clean build....

Thanks for sharing-ROBOT

My standard answer to comments like this is. If we had the same attitude towards sex, there would be no human race. Just do it. Trust me it's fun, and you get better. And if you don't, who cares. The fun is in trying. (Trying to build better models, you dirty-minded lot!)

• Like 5

On 1/9/2017 at 8:55 AM, Robin-42 said:

My standard answer to comments like this is. If we had the same attitude towards sex, there would be no human race. Just do it. Trust me it's fun, and you get better. And if you don't, who cares. The fun is in trying. (Trying to build better models, you dirty-minded lot!)

I totally agree. No-one ever gets better at anything without practice. Rigging is not difficult, it's just different....

Ian

• Like 2

I too agree with this and believe that practice is the key to everything. I have a passion for WWI aircraft but did not know where to start with the building of them. Five years later and 20 or so 1/72 scale WWI aircraft later I find it challenging yes but great fun and very satisfying.  I have made some shockers but model by model they have improved. I even enjoy the rigging now of these little things.  My modelling has improved I use bits of scratch building and I can now use an airbrush to paint with.  

I agree wholeheartedly with Viking just do it what do you have to loose? And no one is watching or checking on you.  

Andrew. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2017 at 9:34 AM, Mpfiend said:

Absolutely superb work John.

I'm watching with great interest.Will we be seeing this at any of the shows this year?

Best Regards

Keith.

Keith, I don't expect I'll bring it along to Telford, but you never know! If the club has a table I'll see if anyone can bring it home for me on Sunday.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:20 PM, krow113 said:

Engines and area are mint.

Would you be able to supply more info on the generater alluded to earlier?

Is it a kit item?

Got pics ?

etc.

Thank you.

It's included in the kit, on the end of the engine bearers for the fully cowled version, but not shown on the 'open' framework section. I think you are meant to cut it off the one and attach it to the other. It's the bit circled in red, and is only on this engine.

aeg57.jpg

Progress this weekend has been mainly on working out where all the rigging will go, involving lots of drilling of little holes, so not too easy to photograph.

More struttery has been done and the upper wing centre section prepared.

Cenret section & struts. Lozenge decal went on a treat. It is 1 peice decal pre shaped to fit.

aeg49.jpg

Upside down, but dry fitted together;

aeg50.jpg

Wings primed with halfords grey primer, and the sprayed with Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue, and coted with Johnsons Kleer. This gives a good base for the lozenge decals to bite onto. The big 'tabs' wer masked to keep them bare plastic free of paint. The fit is that precise that a few layers of paint will interfere.

aeg51.jpg

I reinforce the aileron joins with a bit of fine wire (the red stuff you can just see). 0.3mm drill, holes in both wing & aileron, wire pushed in for a tight fit. It really helps.

aeg52.jpg

Cor blimey it's looking complicated! But in reality is very easy to do. The struts are moulded in few parts and Wingnuts fit is sublime, outstanding, and amazing. The finished looking 'X' peices of rigging from engine Gondola to fuselage, and Gondola to bottom wing are stretched sprue. I didn't think I could use fishing line ad get it pulled tight.

aeg53.jpg

The 4 lines hanging free and loose are attached to the Gondolas and pass through the middleof the big 'N' struts. Later they will be puleled tight through the upper wing centre section

aeg54.jpg

A closer view of some of the stretched sprue rigging;

aeg55.jpg

I've actually got the undercarriage legs on now, and dry fitted the upper wing centre section to test it. The fit is spot on. It is really incredible, the engineering of this kit is just sublime. Utter perfection. Unfortunately the light has gone for photography now and my spotlights have blown a bulb so I'll have to do pics another day when there is reasonable daylight.

[Edit] Ok, here's a crummy picure taken with flash but at least it shows some of the progress. Wheels, props, & upper centre section dry fitted.[/Edit]

aeg56.jpg

I've just noticed that the photos don't half show up bits if dust & plastic swarf from the workbench! It blows away easilly enough but all todays scraping & drilling has made lots of it.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 6:41 AM, krow113 said:

Cracking work.

Thanks for the generator info, did you run a belt over to the engine crank pully?

Hi Steve. good point, No I haven't, I'll look into doing that.

State of play now is that I have the lower wings fully lozenged, both sides. Upper wings lozenged on undersurfaces only as I'll be pulling fishing line rigging up through holes, and trimming them off on the upper surfaces. Once rigging is complete I'll apply the lozenge decals to the upper wing.

aeg59.jpg

The fuselage is now fully decaled and varnished, toning down the shiny look it had up until now, Wheels are done and ready to go on. I just need to add the windscreen, and the upper centre section can also go on.

aeg58.jpg

General views of the fuselage with all markings applied;

aeg60.jpg

aeg62a.jpg

aeg61.jpg

Underside view of upper centre section, with readable fueld gauges!

aeg63.jpg

Hopefully I'll get that centre section on and rigged this weekend.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 7

Got the top wing centre section attached & rigged today. The fit of all those struts is absolotely amazing, they just slot right in to their location holes.

I'm using my normal method of turnbuckles made from stretched cotton buds threaded onto Maxima Chameleon fishing line. Just heat a cotton bud over a candle flame and gently & slowly pull apart to give you a length of micro-tube. I make several and use the most consistent lengths that match each other. Painted with Citadel 'Leadbelcher' and then cut into short lengths about 5mm. The beauty is that you make as many as you need,a s often as you need them. Thread the onto the line, and push to the bottom end. I use 2 diameters of Chameloen, the 2.5 lb, and the thicker 4 lb.

aeg64.jpg

aeg65.jpg

4 of the lines pass through the struts, via pre drilled holes. (Those are not turnbuckles on the struts, but moulded on lugs where the wire passes through. Turnbuckles are only on the anchor points of the line).

aeg66.jpg

aeg67.jpg

aeg68.jpg

The lines are passed through pre-drilled holes in the upper wing, pulled tight and secured both sides with a drop of cyano. after an hour or 2 I'll trim them off flush, and if needed repair the area with a tiny bead of Milliput, sanded flush when dry. When all are done I'll apply the lozenge decals to finish it all off.

aeg69.jpg

Overall view, next up will be fitting those big wings, struts, & rigging!

aeg70.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 3

Fantastic!

Thanks for the tip too about the cotton-bud stretching. To think I've actually been ditching used cotton buds without stopping to think how else they could be useful :(