Wingnut Wings 1/32 AEG G.IV - Finished

Viking

I've never really gotten into WW1 subjects, but I can appreciate a good kit and have heard many a great thing said about Wingnut Wings. Now after having looked in on this build, I am really super impressed - but that's more down to your paint and build quality.

Can I rewind just a second and ask how you achieved that wood finish for the props? They look incredibly real and I have often wondered how those who can achieve such a look of realism do this

Any hints or tips there would be hugely appreciated

Si

• Like 1

The next big stage is to get those huge wings on, & rig it all.

The 2 lower wings were fixed in first;

aeg71.jpg

aeg72.jpg

Planning ahead, I already anchored all the required rigging lines into their holes, drilled with am 0.35 mm drill. (These do not go right through the wing).

Stretched cotton bud turnbuckles are slid on as well

aeg73.jpg

The inner struts unusually have rigging anchor points in their bases.

aeg74.jpg

I label and bag all struts during preparation, to avoid mixing them up.

aeg75.jpg

Struts cemenetd in, awaiting the upper wings.

aeg76.jpg

aeg77.jpg

And there it is!

aeg78.jpg

I then almost went mad threading each line through its hole in the upper wing. It's not easy to see the tiny holes against the dark lozenge camo.

At this stage they are not puuled tight, but just secured with a short bit of tape to hold them.

aeg79.jpg

aeg80.jpg

The lines will be pulled tigh and secured with a drop of cyano. The 'turnbucles' will be slid to the end of the lines.

aeg81.jpg

Lines pulled through & temporarily held with tape. Once secured with cyano they will be trimmed off flush. Then I'll apply the lozenge decal to the top wing.

aeg82.jpg

It getting to ba a big and heavy model now. I keep kocking things over on the workbench now, and part of the challenge is to work on it without breaking it.

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 12

On 1/29/2017 at 9:35 PM, Madhatter said:

I've never really gotten into WW1 subjects, but I can appreciate a good kit and have heard many a great thing said about Wingnut Wings. Now after having looked in on this build, I am really super impressed - but that's more down to your paint and build quality.

Can I rewind just a second and ask how you achieved that wood finish for the props? They look incredibly real and I have often wondered how those who can achieve such a look of realism do this

Any hints or tips there would be hugely appreciated

Si

Si, I think I have some photos somewhere showing the painting sequence. I'll see if I can find them.

Basically I paint the prop in Tamiya 'Deck Tan' then mask it with strips of tape and spray with 'red Brown'. Coat with Johnsons 'Kleer' and then use artits oil paints to paint a lighly streaked 'woodgrain' effect over the top.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the continued comments chaps, it is much appreciated.

Things slowed down a bit, but I now have the top wing rigging 'pulled through' trimmed off & cleaned up, and fully lozenged. What a lot of decalling there is on this model! The wings still need to be dulled down with varnish to match the fuselage.

aeg83.jpg

aeg84.jpg

aeg85.jpg

Things slowed down a bit while I worked on some of the smaller items such as the guns & bombload. There is also a ground handling tail skid dolly supplied in the kit.

aeg86.jpg

aeg87.jpg

Not far to go now!

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this one, John -

I'll be honest, I don't think this one of the most beautiful of WW1 aircraft, but your work on this so far is outstanding.   Look forward to seeing this one completed as I know it will be to your usual high standard of workmanship.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, cduckworth said:

Beautiful Build.  I agree what's next?

Thanks guys. I think it will be the Junkers J.1. Not too much rigging on that one, and I think it is an interesting machine.

Anyway, finished now;

aeg102.jpg

More on Ready for Inspection.

Cheers

John

• Like 4

• 1 year later...