Brawn GP BGP 001 1/20

shood23

Hello chaps. 

I have been itching to make a brawn gp car for a while but there were 2 things holding me back 1) s27 are the only on guys who make a 1/20 one of these and it's very expensive now and 2) I never had a clear plan of how to make one from another car. Well the second of these holds has now changed, a tamiya f60 will be my Base car with decals from pattos place and a few other parts from other cars. 

The main inspiration for starting this thread today is that the legendary Jenson button "JB" is hanging up his helmet (I don't care what anyone says, he won't be in 2018) and what better car to make then his title winning car from 2009. 

So the Base car.

20161127_161912_zpsvqhjylfr.jpg

I chose this car mainly as it's the most undeveloped car available of the wide front wing high rear wings cars which makes the mods needed easier to add and in 2010 they changed the size of the front tyres slightly as the 09 tyres made the cars pretty pointy so a 2010 redbull or ferrari that tamiya and fujimi make would have the wrong dimensions. 

The decals are from pattos place, they seem pretty good and there are plenty of them there just incase of mistakes and I will need to test them with my favoured clear coats 

20161127_161937_zpse01gfhmd.jpg

Oh and before I forget this will be the Singapore spec car as this was the only race canon sponsored the car and it's the latest in the season I could find on the website. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

I'll tag along too if you don't mind.

I was lucky enough to go along to a Brawn sponsorship meeting in late 2009. Basically not too long before they announced the Mercedes buy out. I got to see Jenson's title winning car up close and still have the free Brawn GP lanyard adorning my keys lol.

An eBay seller I follow in Australia was selling a couple Studio27 kits a few months back for 200 aussie dollars which I didn't think was too bad at the time. 

Ashley 

Cracking start to a tread, you've done it again Shaun!

It's always frustrated me there's very little, on this enematic car in 1/20, I didn't see Ashley's Studio 27 kit on ebay as mentioned and I doubt I would have had the money anyway but this is one modern car I would love to build so can't wait to see how you get on.

With the engine issue, I presume your doing a curbside kit?

One thing with the Brawn was the bulbous nose, will you be looking to alter the F60.

Regards

John

Thanks guys for the replies. 

20 hours ago, injidup said:

Excellent choice Shaun, I will be watching this one. I've decided I'll get the MP4-31 when it comes out next year as it's Button's last F1 car. Won't be building the Abu Dhabi car though!

I for sure will be having the mp4/31 but I may hold out this time just to see what/ if ebbro bring out any more for later gps, plus I want to do the vandoorne car from Bahrain. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jampton said:

Cracking start to a tread, you've done it again Shaun!

It's always frustrated me there's very little, on this enematic car in 1/20, I didn't see Ashley's Studio 27 kit on ebay as mentioned and I doubt I would have had the money anyway but this is one modern car I would love to build so can't wait to see how you get on.

With the engine issue, I presume your doing a curbside kit?

One thing with the Brawn was the bulbous nose, will you be looking to alter the F60.

Regards

John

John you may just be right about this being curbside but maybe not as I haven't seen too much engine detail on this yet but have seen one picture with a very similar arrangement to the tamiya rb6, I may just have one around here somewhere that may do the job. 

With the nose all will be explained below.

And just so I don't leave people out. It's good to have you watching Roger and ashley.

So on with the build. 

I made a start to the kit properly today and felt the need just to mock up to know how much needs doing. 

The ferrari/brawn with the ferrari nose 

20161128_183129_zpsjayb1ocq.jpg

It's not bad but it's nowhere near what I need so I went through my old boxed up builds that are really bad and I don't plan on displaying anymore to find a more suitable nose and found that a tamiya ferrari f2001 nose is basically the perfect shape (even better I came across a guy on f1m who used the same route so I know it works) 

20161128_183422_zpskjt0kycc.jpg

Much better, it's just needs some fattening up at the tip and the keel bit underneath needs sorting. I did a few shadow pictures between the Brawn and the F60 with the f2001 nose. 

From above 

1480359554608_zpsmrflzhhe.png

And the side 

1480359315780-1_zpsnddrmoa0.png

On to the floor, the ferrari floor is very basic especially compared to the Brawn 

20161128_185046_zpsnccqd7wf.jpg

So to give the whole double diffuser will be done by using the diffuser parts from an old fujimi f10 

20161128_185142_zpsgzlsdtvp.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, shood23 said:

Thanks guys for the replies. 

I for sure will be having the mp4/31 but I may hold out this time just to see what/ if ebbro bring out any more for later gps, plus I want to do the vandoorne car from Bahrain.   

Looks like they have provided the 47 decals for van Doorne!

10428886t2.jpg

Edit: The box says "Spanish GP" though.

Edited by injidup

1 hour ago, injidup said:

Looks like they have provided the 47 decals for van Doorne!

10428886t2.jpg

Edit: The box says "Spanish GP" though.

That tells me that ebbro only plan on 1 maybe 2 versions this time then. It's great to see vandoorne decals though. 

Shaun 

What a great project, and a fitting time to build it.

Will be following closely as you convert the F60.

I took the easy option and built the Silverline 1:43 version!!

IMG_0013.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

Glad to have you Warren and I did look at maybe a 1/43 but with my sausage fingers it would be way too fiddly.

On to the build and my first task today was the side pod inlets. On the Ferrari they are pretty big and rounded whereas on the brawn they need to be pretty much rectangular with rounded corners, so I have started blocking off the bits I won't be needing and soon will cut out the bits that need coming off (the dark bit to the right of the inlet in the picture) 

20161129_124558_zpsxqz9ptgk.jpg

I then moved to the floor, more specifically the diffuser, the Ferrari is again very simple compared to the brawn but that's only because the guys at brawn (most probably when they were still honda) found a loop hole that very few teams found and exploited so the Ferrari floor is as the rules said it should be 

20161128_185046_zpsgpym9e8h.jpg

Now compared to the brawn solution of have you can interpret the rules with a little out of the box (modelling pun) thinking. It's not fully accurate to brawn's as it's from a Ferrari f10 but it's close enough.

20161129_135907_zpssdmoyy1d.jpg

The bottom part if the diffuser was easy as it was just a case of put it in place, scribe around, cut then glue. The top part was more tricky as it was moulded into the f10 floor pan so I had to guess how much I needed and keep taking off more material until I got to a good fit 

20161129_135824_zpshvqblfap.jpg

What makes it even more tricky is the rear crash structure/ gearbox needa to fit into the dip in the middle of the top part of the diffuser so getting that right and having the gearbox seated properly without actually being able to see where it was touching was probably the biggest headache so far 

20161129_135933_zpsnq3xwneg.jpg

I then just needed a quick mock up to check fitment and it's alwaystill nice to see the look at points just in case I need to change something 

20161129_140821_zpszhr3qryt.jpg

It's not bad for day 2 but I know a lot more is needed soon

20161129_140832_zpspeb2njif.jpg

Finally I cut out the exhaust outlets as they are in the wrong position, I will be backin the whole with plastic and filling it in at some point 

20161129_142436_zpsrigygser.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 4

This is really first class modelling, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result.

From the pictures of the Pato's place decals I guess you will have to mask and paint the dayglo yellow parts, any idea which paint you will use?

I too loved the look of the Brawn and had to have Jenson's winning car so I took the plunge and bought the Studio 27 kit several years ago. Perhaps I'll build it someday.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for the comments guys. 

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 4:47 AM, Phantom 996 said:

That's a very ambitious build going on here. I'll hop on the train too I like the team too sad to see it go after 1 season though 

I agree team was great and after years of only the big budget team winning it was nice to see a small team (albeit through hondas development program through 08) win races let alone the championship. Plus the early season car was a real stunner, very simplistic in design and livery. It was a shame merc came in to buy the team out and change the dayglo yellow and white to a corporate silver. 

23 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

From the pictures of the Pato's place decals I guess you will have to mask and paint the dayglo yellow parts, any idea which paint you will use?

Stu I will be painting the dayglo with a mix of zero paints fluorescent yellow mixed with a touch of green. 

12 hours ago, Jake Moon said:

This is awesome! Believe it or not I've got Brawn decals on the way for this very project with the F60 donor kit. 

Well in the nicest way I'm glad I started this now then lol actually I'm surprised haven't seen more of the s27 cars or this way of making a brawn done over the last few years. 

Going on to the merc takeover in late 2009 I read on f1 technical that Ross brawn had actually planed to follow the redbull design ideas on the front of the car for 2010 but couldn't pursue them fully due to budget and merc came in too late for it to be put into the 2010 design and he was quoted saying at some point post 2010 that if they'd had the budget and resources avaliable in 2009 to fully develope 2 cars at once like ferrari and mclaren then the Brawn could have won alot more races in 2009 and the 2010 car would have been around 2-3 seconds per lap quicker than 2009. It just gets me thinking of what a monster that 2010 car would have been with the right funding and would button have stayed and possibly have more championships. 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23

Right well not much of an update today but it includes some important bits. 

I have started modifying the airbox intake to a more brawn spec 

20161202_130727_zpsa2nuqbbj.jpg

Then not much plastic cutting from there really as it has been mostly a day of correcting shapes of parts and fulling gaps and holes. 

The nose has been fattened up at the sides with tamiya 2 part epoxy putty (bit of a plug for tamiya as this stuff is great) 

20161202_130801_zpspg4ofr9q.jpg

Then The side pod intakes had some putty aswell over the plastic strips I added 

20161202_130747_zps5fjwbztk.jpg

And finally the 2 side pod sections had the holes I made at the old exhaust locations filled by backing it with thin plastic card which was then built up on the outside with thin plastic strips and putty put over them 

20161202_130821_zpstj6i3j8x.jpg

The putty takes only a few hours to fully harden but I'm leaving it at least 24 hours just to be safe. 

And final pictures are of a quick mock up off all the parts I have changed so far just to see roughly how close I am to the final shape 

The bigger bulbous brawn nose 

20161202_131157_zpslg7trrmm.jpg

And much cleaner looking aero, ironically on what was already ment to be much cleaner aero compared to the previous season 

20161202_131235_zpsoctzopae.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a very long time since I updated this build but honestly not a lot has been done.

I have tested my paints with the decals from pattosplace and I am relieved to say they haven't reacted 

20170117_135821_zpssedwrozz.jpg

More coming very soon 

Shaun

So after finishing my toyota build I have finally found some time to pull this back out properly and clean some bits up. 

The nose has been really bugging me as how to get the lines to match up with the F60 body as the f2001 nose was too narrow but only slightly, I mean about half a mm, but it was noticeable so I had to fix it. I am glad I took some time away because I came up with a very easy and quick solution, tack tge nose on when it's too wide with putty and file it back then sand when I get close enough. And finally the nose cone is more or less sorted. I will still be adding the thin aero parts the follow the top line but will do that later. 

20170124_080541-1_zpsdptciyve.jpg

20170124_080606_zps8xkza7sl.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

Thanks for the comments guys. And yes John I didn't wait too long to prime tge nose and the side pods as they have also bee sanded back and I may be the only person that thinks this but it's revealed some bits that need attention which is good as this is the first time using this putty in such amounts. 

Shaun.

Right so a small update is called for I think. 

This is where I am as of tonight. The nose cone for me is more or less there now, I did prime it and take back the "bad" bits so I've got on filling other areas and sorting those small nose aero parts out. They are big but as you will see I ment that 

20170125_215822_zps6nbwcwld.jpg

Now after the glue had a few hours to set I filed down the size of the nose vane to a more appropriate size. Now just the other side to do 

20170126_213835_zpsuxpvc4rw.jpg

The bad bits on the side pods were sanded back and problem bits filled and also the airbox has been sorted 

20170125_193147_zps4t5roplz.jpg

The front wing endplates were my next stop and they are alot more complicated than the ferrari. I had to grind down the original ferrari parts the make some new parts for the outer brawn bit 

20170125_193112_zpschbdkliv.jpg

A little size management is needed bit over all its almost there.

Front endplate from above 

20170125_193125_zpsvgqnwa4s.jpg

And keeping on endplates I modified the rear wing ones to a more late season brawn style. The picture isn't great but you get the idea. 

20170125_193010_zpsmvtcciqd.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

So a small update to this is in order I think.

So I'm still trying to get the last few parts filled and flat on the main body but most of the front areas are now done 

20170201_141649_zpsvflejmag.jpg

This next picture you may or may not be able to notice the radiator inlets have been modified to fit the new shape of the side pod inlets. Also in the blurry part of the picture you will see I have got both sides of the nose aero parts done l.

20170201_141700_zpscaebienh.jpg

The main parts of the engine and gearbox have been painted with semi gloss black and alclad duraluminium and also you can see the modifications I made to the radiator ducts with tamiya 2 part putty

20170201_141707_zpsbv7ngpaw.jpg

Right so by now you may have guessed it but this will now be a full engine build car with as many details as I can be bothered to make. My theory is after looking at many pictures of the Brawn with its covers off that you can really see the engine anyway due to having the same shrouds around it as tamiyas redbull rb6 has so as long as there is no ferrari signs showing then I may be able to get away with it. 

More soon

Shaun

• Like 4

Looking good Shaun, there's a fair bit of sanding down to be done but it's going to be well worth it.

Glad your detailing up the engine, are you going to include the electrics? To be honest I don't know how much would be visible with a modern car, I'm only up to 1990 and the Lotus 102 is giving me some jip at the moment.

Regards

John

Thanks John and yeah it was alot of sanding in the end but thankfully most of it is now done so I can get on with some actually building. When it comes to all the little bells and whistles under the covers I think I will add what I can but mainly just what can be seen when finished. 

Shaun