HMS X-Craft

beefy66

While waiting for the base to dry on my USS Independence build I thought I would start a quick build OOB by doing this Merit X-Craft submarine

So started reading a few reviews and other builds and got the Eduard PE sheet for this MM(Quick I thought but knowing me this will take a bit longer

IMG_3455_zpshwd8ztev.jpg

IMG_3456_zpstje5h3in.jpg

had already built up most of the hull when I realised that the drain holes and other things needed to be drilled out so here goes  :blink:

IMG_3457_zps06vz64a5.jpg

taking my time which is unusual for me used a 0.5 drill and scalpel to clean and cut out then a flat blade thin file will start on the holes that you can see around the hull now

Beefy

• Like 8

6 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Have fun Beefy, just a word of caution the early X-craft had a two tone scheme, not all over black.

All the best Chris

Hi Chris thanks for the heads up been doing a bit of research on the net and also found some that are just an all over dark grey so something to think about  :unsure:

If I go for the Black it will not show a lot of the details but a Grey would allow me to use some better washes to bring out the details I hope  ;)

Anyway it is back to the hole drilling for now  :blink:

Beefy

• Like 1

Small update started adding the PE after drilling out all the holes around the hull

IMG_3466_zpsproxqgqg.jpg

IMG_3468_zps1222pfax.jpg

Also filled in the holes that will not be needed for the port side rudder linkage

IMG_3467_zps3oziis5w.jpg

Beefy

• Like 4

Well all to myself today for a change and got some good time in at the bench more PE added and the starboard rubber linkage fitted I have left the lower part of the rubber off so that the screw can be fitted after painting.

IMG_3469_zpsov79zml3.jpg

IMG_3470_zpsr14xqrun.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that I have got one other build out of the way it is back to this more PE added and now onto the locking devices for the side charges

IMG_3488_zpsemv3zyfm.jpg

IMG_3487_zpshlb3r6ft.jpg

And trying out the new roller tool for the Snorkel top

IMG_3486_zpsjg5thty9.jpg

Trying to get this done before the party's and family visits start off work now for 2 weeks so should be getting more bench time  :yahoo:

Beefy

• Like 5

On 12/22/2016 at 2:04 PM, robgizlu said:

Beefy- that is looking really special, the problem with time off is that bench time never seems to actually materialise.

Keep it coming

Rob

Thanks Rob my time at the bench this holidays is all planned into the timetable not making the same mistake as other years need my own time to help chill out so to speak  B)

All the construction done added some braided fishing line to the side charge locking device think that what they are anyway

IMG_3489_zps5dfery2h.jpg

Then started painting the propeller have to confess I made a right balls up of the kit one so will be using a one from the MTB that I did not use on that  :unsure:

IMG_3491_zpsdnwmaayp.jpg

Then with my punch set made the joining pipe from the hull to the snorkel

IMG_3492_zpsqbqlyzry.jpg

IMG_3494_zpslq0dxtug.jpg

Then attached a block of wood to the hull for handling when painting

and hear are the paints that I will use flat black and Panzer grey over a coat of Halfords primer

Just for Kayell cos he mentioned that I had stopped putting the paints behind my models during the WIP

IMG_3496_zpsq0vo2m87.jpg

Beefy

• Like 4

I thought this was going to be an easy simple build !

Looks like you have it well under control

Congratulations on new metallic paint sponsor.... lol

Merry Christmas to yo and your clan

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looking very good Keith, tiny thing for a 3 man crew though isn't it............

Even smaller than you think Julian these things had a 4 man crew even at 15 meters long only 1.75 meters wide that would have been a real cramped little tube

So no sprouts on the dinner menu for those boys  :sick:

Will be putting the first coat of black primer on today and making a start on the figure I have for this from Wee Freinds

Beefy

23 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looking a bit like a Zebra.........

but I'm sure the washes will pull it all together

Kev

Yes the light shining through the window does bring out the lighter colors

Added the propeller and periscope also added the last part of the rubber

main part of the figure painted but not sure what head to add I have one with a tin helmet and one with a beret  :book:  and suggestions

IMG_3501_zpsl6bazubj.jpg

IMG_3502_zps4e83tdqn.jpg

Beefy

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Beret for my money.

Standing on top of a tin of beans I don't imagine the helmet is going to inspire any more confidence.....

Kev

Beret it is then did not think the tin hat looked quite right  :book:

Beefy

• Like 1