Turkish Airforce F-4E Missiles

F4u

Anybody know what missiles are carried on Turkish F-4E's on the underside where the Skyflash would be fitted ?

Many Thanks

Guy

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure .

Thanks

Guy

So were they replaced with another missile ?

Thanks

Guy

4 minutes ago, Scout712 said:

No, we had a Terminator Pilot in our squadron as exchange. They do not carry any air to air missiles, reasoning that as bomber they will not need them, since they would have Vipers as protection.

Scout

Learn something new everyday. Makes sense when you think about it.

Rob

So the Terminator was a pure bomber  !

I  was trying to get the right load out for the F-4E I'm doing looks like tanks only then !

Thanks  for the information.

Guy

The Terminator F-4E usually carry pave spike and GBU. When we had them at TLP in Spain in 2012 they simulated carrying 2x GBU-10.

The Fighters were the vanilla F-4Es. They carried AIM-9P and to what it looked to me AIM-7E until the end. Of course they also practiced bombing. A good friend of mine flew at Malatya with them as exchange.

Scout

• Like 1

Thanks Scout I will see if I can source the GBU's and the Pave Spike's.

Guy

Or you go with AGM-142 on the inboards and a data link pod on the right outboard, centerline tank (they carry a mix of HPC-looks like a F15 tank and the old Sargent Fletcher tank-can be found in the Revell kit) and 370gal tank on the left outboard station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scout712 said:

Or you go with AGM-142 on the inboards and a data link pod on the right outboard, centerline tank (they carry a mix of HPC-looks like a F15 tank and the old Sargent Fletcher tank-can be found in the Revell kit) and 370gal tank on the left outboard station.

Popeye's sounds good something to look into.

32 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

What time scale are you looking at building your F-4E in, as F-4E 2020 "Terminators" didn't appear until the year 2000?

They can still carry the AIM7 Sparrow the capability wasn't deleted, although the mission or reason to do so did.

I have know idea as yet but I like the look of the AGM-142 as they look a bit different could they go with the Sparrow's ?

Guy

Edited by F4u

Would have to say no that the AGM142 and AAM's of any sort were/are carried at the same time(don't have concrete proof). Also if the a/c is carrying two -142's then no Data pod will be carried on the same a/c. The 2020's in this role fly as a pair at least, with one a/c carrying the Data pod and a single 142, while the second a/c carries a pair of 142's.  A single a data pod can control multiple a/c.

Thanks guys certainly some food for thought ! I see Hasegawa do a weapon set which seems to do the required weapons and Eduard do some in there Brassin range, just have to decide what to go with.

Guy

As it has been already said, all depends from the version that you would like to build:

- "vanilia" F-4Es carried AIM-7 and AIM-9 AAMs.

- F-4E 2020 Terminators are used mainly as bombers, but with an AIM-9 capability ( AIM-7 capability was deleted and the missiles retired from service) 

- F-4ETM Lightnings were used in the air defence role with AIM-9 only ( AIM-7 capability was deleted )

-  Several RF-4ETM recce Phantoms ( equipped with slatted wings and rounded noses) can also carry AIM-9 for self defence (the former Luftwaffe birds, identified by their rectangular noses, don't have this capability)

Greetings

Diego

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Diego said:

As it has been already said, all depends from the version that you would like to build:

- "vanilia" F-4Es carried AIM-7 and AIM-9 AAMs.

- F-4E 2020 Terminators are used mainly as bombers, but with an AIM-9 capability ( AIM-7 capability was deleted and the missiles retired from service) 

- F-4ETM Lightnings were used in the air defence role with AIM-9 only ( AIM-7 capability was deleted )

-  Several RF-4ETM recce Phantoms ( equipped with slatted wings and rounded noses) can also carry AIM-9 for self defence (the former Luftwaffe birds, identified by their rectangular noses, don't have this capability)

Greetings

Diego

I will proably do a Terminator AGM-42's , I think I will have to do another for a different load out !

Once again thanks to everyone who replied for the help.

Guy

If you Google F-4E Terminator AGM-142 you'll find plenty of pics of practice loads. Single Missile with data link pod. Double missiles without. Centerline tank only.Whatever you prefer. I do not look into detail on the extended inboard pylons, neither do I know if the Turks used the Israeli mod of carrying flare dispensers in the rear Aim-7 missile bay.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hook said:

Since the Terminator / AGM-142 update uses Israeli components, they were most likely fitted with the extended inboard pylons. 

Cheers,

Andre

Good point and something I was totally unaware of. Looking at the various pictures on line they are indeed equipped with the lengthened pylons.