Spitfire Mk.1a BoB - WIP

Progress report.

Applied oil wash:

IMG_1534_zpstx4j4o97.jpg

Could almost be a dogfight scene with the Emil in the background!

As mentioned earlier had an issue with the wash flowing into the panel lines on the fuselage roundels and squadron markings. To resolve (partially as you'll see) I scored with a cocktail stick and manually applied Citadel washes until I got the level of detail I wanted. Fitted undercarriage and prop, painted red cloth over the gunports and added some staining. Also added oil stains from the leaky Merlin... I'm going for a Spit just landed after a successful sortie.

IMG_1553_zpsj8lyrgsh.jpg

Matt coat applied.

IMG_1554_zpsjyifnjiw.jpg

IMG_1555_zpsmp30dkle.jpg

IMG_1556_zpscnms5jry.jpg

You can just make out an issue that I have with the port fuselage roundel - it's bubbled slightly on the right of the high vis bit which I can only assume has happened due to the scoring I did earlier. I use Vallejo matt 70.520 mixed with water so might have seeped in and lifted it. Will have to think how to correct that.

IMG_1557_zpstcsrl4vw.jpg 

James

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 3

Well I'm calling this one done.

I corrected as best I could the issue with the decal lift and added exhausts, antenna, wire and pitot.

One major PIA was cleanly removing the Pmasks canopy masks. I bought these as they were significantly cheaper than the rest. When they're (eventually) removed they leave a gluey residue which is very difficult to clean up. Of course anything you try and use to assist in cleaning this off has the adverse effect of damaging the paint around the area if you're not careful. It could be the length of time that I left them in place (3 weeks or so) but I will be buying tamiya style masking tape ones in future.

Here's a finished shot and I'll create a RFI shortly. Hope you've enjoyed!

James

IMG_1561_zps2bqmol8j.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:43, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

It's Christmas Eve, it's a day off and all the presents/wrapping have been completed... that must mean it's time for modelling! Over the past couple of weeks there has been some progress albeit it slow. I completed the filling, sanding and priming and yesterday got around to spraying the first of the camo. I've been trying some starker highlights which have made at least to my eye a more realistic finish. I've already tried these on an ME-109 which have turned out well so tried the same here:

IMG_1517_zps9icwizgh.jpg

IMG_1518_zpsapj9totx.jpgIMG_1519_zpsql9et5oo.jpg

These may look too stark but after a coating of Clear they will darken and blend in nicely.

Next on with the prep and masking for the dark green. I used the original plans scaled at 120% then cut round attaching them with blu-tak:

IMG_1521_zpstaddyf9o.jpg

IMG_1522_zpsqptdnfie.jpg

Further updates to follow later. Have a great Christmas Eve fellow BM's!

James

I'm a little late viewing this - but could I please ask a question...

Do you recall which paints you used for the Dark Earth / Dark Green?

Lovely result - thanks for sharing :clap2:

• Like 1

Hey JB - I have a number of 1/48 Arfix new tool Hurricane MkI's in the stash - that will soon be falling victim to my new (very poor) airbrushing skills - we all have to learn :giggle:

• Like 1

As well as trying to get to grips with my airbrush - I'm still looking for the easiest photo sharing site - that doesn't bombard you with junk emails every 5 minutes :lol:

When I do you will all be sorry ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

As well as trying to get to grips with my airbrush - I'm still looking for the easiest photo sharing site - that doesn't bombard you with junk emails every 5 minutes :lol:

When I do you will all be sorry ;)

Might i propose postimage? (https://postimage.io/)

I've used it for nearly a year now- no problems, easy to resize images as you upload them and no "lag" on their website (as I've noticed with photobucket).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

I've used it for nearly a year now- no problems, easy to resize images as you upload them and no "lag" on their website (as I've noticed with photobucket).

I'll give it a go on the next update I post - thanks :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Hey Cat - THANK YOU - I think I have cracked it - with your help - BRILLIANT :clap2:

See here...

Edited by BIG X
spelling
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Cat - THANK YOU - I think I have cracked it - with your help - BRILLIANT :clap2:

See here...

My thanks too - much, much easier than Photobucket. Just posted my first set with Postimage and it was a pleasure to use. So much snappier and the interface is much cleaner. JB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

My thanks too - much, much easier than Photobucket. Just posted my first set with Postimage and it was a pleasure to use. So much snappier and the interface is much cleaner. JB

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

See here...

Well, glad to be of service chaps :)

Kind regards,

Sam