Hawker Tempest Mk.V Stencils – Wet Transfers (for Special Hobby 1:32)

Mike

Hawker Tempest Mk.V Stencils – Wet Transfers (for Special Hobby)

1:32 HGW Models

boxtop.jpg

Special Hobby's new large-scale Tempest V is selling like the proverbial hot cakes, and if you're a fan of wet transfers like I am, they're an important purchase to get rid of those annoying and sometimes tricky to hide carrier film edges.  Of course you can hide them with successive layers of clear varnish and some careful sanding of said varnish, but if you don't have to there's one less opportunity for you to spoil your model's paintjob averted.

If you're not familiar with wet transfers yet, they are initially applied like ordinary decals, but with a clear carrier film remaining in front of the printed decals.  After a couple of hours the clear carrier can be peeled off, leaving the printing on the model, as if it had been painted on!  Now perhaps you can see why I like them so much?

232016.jpg

Although this set is called "Stencils", it includes a lot more than just the small stencils that are dotted around the airframe.  It also includes the fuselage codes, tail numbers, instrument decals, and the detail decals that straddle the clear sections on the pylons.  You also get a set of swastikas in whole or in halves for the kill marks on the side of the cockpit, with the former in a dotted box that can be cut off if the host country requires it.  The detail of the decals is exceptional, and they are as crisp as can be, with the exception of a set of Balkenkreuz kill marks that appear to have been printed as a pattern of dots to achieve grey, which shows up under magnification only however.  There is a small yellow 24 Volts stencil that also appears to have a little over-spill of the yellow, but again, that is very slight and can be fixed easily enough with either a knife or a dab of paint.

stencils.jpg

Conclusion

To me these wet transfers fall into the "must have" category, and with the lack of carrier film, I think they will start to appeal to more and more people as time goes by.  This should also encourage Martin & Co. at HGW to produce more of these innovative products.

Very highly recommended.

Currently they're not showing on HGW's site, and as I picked these up at Telford I'm going to take a guess that they've either sold the first batch, or not had chance to put them on their site yet.  Probably the former.  Keep checking back with their site by clicking the link below.

Review samples courtesy of

logo.jpg