Matt Varnish options

sapperastro

Hello all,

I would like advice and to hear about your experiences with brush on matt varnish.

I myself have only used the Humbrol Matt cote. It usually works ok, but takes an age to dry and causes complaints from other householders.... I am wondering what other, reliable, options there are.

Just to let you know, my usual process has been prime if Acrylic/paint, or just paint if enamel; Humbrol clear gloss (the acrylic type in the bottle), decals, Humbrol clear, weathering/panel lines, and Matt cote.

I have heard various opinions about different brands of matt varnishes, especially regarding the white clouding affect, dulling blacks to grey, and so fourth. So if anyone can share their experiences on what does work reliably, across what paint types, that would be great.

Again, please bear in mind I brush the varnish on.

Thanks for any assistance.

Greg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

...this didn't seem to get any response - but it is a good question - so rather than start a new thread -  can I ask a similar question...

Here is my process - HALFORDS GEY PRIMER / VALLEJO MODEL AIR COLOURS / HUMBROL ACRYLIC GLOSS FROM THE BOTTLE / MICROSOL / DECALS / MICROSET / MORE HUMBROL GLOSS / WEATHERING OF VAROUS SORTS...

OK - I now want a matt varnish that isn't 'WHITE' - either by airbrush or a broad flat brush - tried all sorts on various mules and very fed up - HELP :please:

Any 'whitening' after putting on the matt varnish is caused by the matting agent.

To try to reduce the problem thin the varnish, then thin it some more.

For brushing on I mainly use Humbrol 49 acrylic matt varnish. One pot will give me two very full pots after I've thinned it. If I go too far I add a little - very little - of Tamiya's matting agent. My matt varnish looks like water and goes on like it.

If you do get a whitening, before you throw the model in the bin or scrape the paint off;

if you've used an enamel - put on a very thined coat of gloss varnish. This will soak up the matting agent. If the white is really bad you might need a couple of coats. When this dries - at least 24 hours - try matt varnishing again

With acrylic, soften the matt varnish first by brushing on meths or similar, then apply the gloss varnish. Then as above.

~~In both cases, work carefully and test out the process on a small area first

• Like 2

Galeria by Winsor and Newton do a very nice Matt varnish that brushes on nicely.

It can be thinned with their Flow Improver (or water I believe) and gives a beautiful finish.

Goes through the Iwata very well too.

Never had it whitening.

Available in Hobbit Craft.

Rick.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Galeria by Winsor and Newton do a very nice Matt varnish that brushes on nicely.

It can be thinned with their Flow Improver (or water I believe) and gives a beautiful finish.

Goes through the Iwata very well too.

Never had it whitening.

Available in Hobbit Craft.

Rick.

Hi Rick - I went to my local Hobby Craft a week or two ago - where you have to pay £1.50 to park - scandalous.  I was looking for this exact product - but all the W and N Galleria products were in the clearance section and all the varnishes - except gloss had gone.  They had thinners and flow improvers - but no matt or satin varnish. 

• Like 1

...update - the Hobby Craft website is showing most windsor and newton galeria products as 'out of stock' - so not worth me trawling around the other local branches around Manchester...

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hi Rick - I went to my local Hobby Craft a week or two ago - where you have to pay £1.50 to park - scandalous.  I was looking for this exact product - but all the W and N Galleria products were in the clearance section and all the varnishes - except gloss had gone.  They had thinners and flow improvers - but no matt or satin varnish. 

Try The Range instead. Mine has the full selection.

Rio 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rio said:

Try The Range instead. Mine has the full selection.

Rio 

Thanks for that Rio - I guess this is what I am looking for...

12159.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rio said:

Yeah thats it. I have all 3 varnishes and they work great.

do you use any thinners or flow improver with them?

• Like 1

Just now, rio said:

Just a little of their own thinners. 

Rio

...sorry to keep asking daft questions - but it is the only way to learn...

Do you use it through an airbrush or a flat brush?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...sorry to keep asking daft questions - but it is the only way to learn...

Do you use it through an airbrush or a flat brush?

Hairy stick or airbrush.

I use both and it goes down really well.

It also self levels to a degree.

I actually use their Flow Improver as a thinner (Their Flow Improver thins most acrylics too...).

The varnish becomes touch dry quite quickly, but does take a few days to go completely dry.

Their Matt and Satin are now my varnish coats of choice. I have the Gloss, but haven't really used it yet.

HTH,

Rick.

EDIT.

Forgot to mention. If using their varnish it's actually quite thick, but it doesn't need much thinning to go through the airbrush.

It's weird!

Also, their Flow Improver/Flow Aide is mixed with distilled water. A small bottle has lasted me for years!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OK - quick shower and shave then off to the Range in Rochdale - let's hope they have stock :unsure:

Rochdale?!

I was born their!

Rick, Ex Pat, now Worcestershire, much dryer....

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

Rochdale?!

I was born their!

Rick, Ex Pat, now Worcestershire, much dryer....

I'm up in Saddleworth and Rochdale was marginally closer than Huddersfield - I thought I would be heading towards Manchester - but they don't seem to have any stores in that direction from me.  I don't actually remember the last time I went to Rochdale - could be ten years ago - but trust me - it's still there and dry today too. :)

• Like 1

...OK - matt and satin now acquired :)  The matt is looking good on a test piece - non of the milky whiteness I have found with other matt finishes - thanks folks.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, Black Knight said:

Any 'whitening' after putting on the matt varnish is caused by the matting agent.

To try to reduce the problem thin the varnish, then thin it some more.

I've stuck a piece of tape on my bottle of Humbrol Matt Cote that has "shake extremely well" written on it to remind me that mixing the matting agent up takes a lot of elbow grease...

• Like 1

I have to say that Humbrol rattle-can matt varnish 49 has worked just fine for me.... I only give several light sweeps - enough to give a light covering, then let it dry, then re-apply.... after a couple of thin coats it\s gone down really nicely and doesn't whiten.  I had only one instance of whitening once, due to being heavy-handed, but a second thin coating seemed to fix it..! :)

I'm looking to thin my new Galleria Matt varnish to put it through my airbrush.  I can't seem to get hold of the Galleria flow enhancer anywhere though...

I do have...

• tap water
  • vallejo airbrush thinners
  • vallejo model air flow improver
  • humbrol acrylic thinners

...any tips on which way to go???

• Like 1

I wouldn't use tap water. Too many impurities. Distilled water maybe. I can't really give a definitive answer except to say experiment with what you have. Mix a small amount each time and see how it reacts but don't put it through your airbrush until you're satisfied with the result.

John.

• Like 1

I suspect the ModelAir Flow Improver would be ok and, as John says, distilled water.

I find I don't have to thin it much to go through my Iwata (0.5mm needle set at the moment). It looks thick, but sprays well.

Rick.

• Like 1