Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
Rumblestripe

Pratchett's Figurines

I'm not sure if this is proper to this forum or the Figures...

Anyway, just a little figure but fun to paint. I was ordering some Vallejo metallics from an Ebay trader when I noticed that the guy also sold the Micro Art Discworld miniatures and decided to pop one into the shopping basket. I was very impressed it is a lovely sculpt and there was no flash whatsoever. Anyhow, my first step was to hot glue the figure to a piece of wooden dowel to cut down on handling whilst painting. It makes the figure easier to handle and when you are finished the figure can be easily popped off the dowel by just a firm twist.

Next step is to prime the figure. I use Artist's Gesso which gives a lovely surface for painting on with acrylics. It's strange stuff it shrinks into place so you cna slap it on fairly liberally and just leave it to dry when all the detail will be revealed. The next thing I do is give the figure a wash with thinned sepia ink with a dash of flow enhancer. This sinks into all the crevices and enhances the detail of the figure making it easier to paint but also if you miss a spot it is a nice dark brown so doesn't jump out like white primer would.

librarian1_zpsxzzya3vz.jpg?t=1480029278

You can see here I have painted the basic fur colour and a little dab of flesh on the hands and face

librarian2_zpsa1q9jy71.jpg?t=1480028574

Next a wash of Vallejo "Face Wash"

librarian3_zpsqlgzpuh9.jpg?t=1480029399

Now I add highlights to the fur, dashes of bright red and orange onto strands in the sculpt

librarian4_zps8wgez7ie.jpg

Detail going on. Highlights added to the hands and face. The eyes are painted in and the feather and the ink pot are added.

librarian6_zpsu2bycqzv.jpg

The base that comes with the figure is a simple round "slottabase" in black plastic. I have added a large book from scrap plasticard for my Librarian sit upon to raise him up and add a bit of interest to a rather plain base.

librarian7_zpsaepgyz0j.jpg

Here you can see that the figure has simply been plonked onto the unfinished base but you can see the ink in the ink pot and the "arcane" writings in the Librarian's book.

More pictures to follow when I finish up.

Moderators please move this if I have hit the wrong forum!

9 people like this

Nice one.

I have my Clarecraft Librarian beside

me here as I write this, along with

Greebo and of course Rincewind.

Very nice! I've got one of these, half painted - there's a WIP on here somewhere from last year. It stalled when I got busy with a kit and I've never picked it back up. You might just have inspired me to do so! 

Oh cool! Great job, takes me back to when i used to play Discworld 2, great game!

The Clarecraft stuff was fantastic, I've recently been hitting a well known auction site to fill in the gaps in my collection (Magrat has been missing for years). Now I find out they do these too! Lovely job you are doing; the book on the base looks brilliant, is it by any chance going to be the "libre paginarium fulvarium"? 

1 person likes this

Oook!

I know, I know - somebody had to mention it, though!

Mike.;)

Edited by MikeR
2 people like this

50 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Oook!

I know, I know - somebody had to mention it, though!

Mike.;)

Beat me to it!

librarian7_zpsnqyugtzy.jpg

Ook!

Here is The Librarian sitting on his base. Not stuck on yet as I need to tidy up the pseudo-wood effect I am going for on the actual base and I'm going to change the colour of the book binding because (without thinking about it) I have managed to paint it almost the same colour as our bibliophile chum's fur. Grrrr.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ready For Inspection thread for "The Librarian"

I so enjoyed this simple little figure I've gone and bought another one!

Death with guitar as featured in the book "Soul Music" modelled on the art of Paul Kidby who for many years provided the covers for Sir Terry's books.

Here's "what's in the box"...

DSC01564_zpsxacnmbnz.jpg

Not quite as clean a casting as "The Librarian" but nothing terrible, a bit of flash to clean off so out with the needle files

DSC01565_zpsbucc83ky.jpg

DSC01567_zps0qsj3vr7.jpg

I think the simple round base won't suffice so I'm going to make something a little more appropriate

DSC01574_zpsqiexjewt.jpg

So we take some pieces of 80thou plasticard, two rectangles 2x4cm, a 2mm square strip which I then cut into 2x2mm chunks, eight of 'em.

DSC01575_zps0ctaxatm.jpg

Stick the chunks together. One for each corner of the base...

DSC01576_zpsbh7sh0wx.jpg

...use the strip to create a frame, then "chain drill" a series of holes to create a slot for old Death's base.

DSC01577_zpsizrxn7ab.jpg

We need one more thing

DSC01578_zps9rcky1su.jpg

An appropriate marker! This one goes up to 11. (Yes I know there would be two "L"s but hey it wouldn't fit!) This is a single piece of 80 plasticard with a frame of 20thou strip which is then filled in with white utlra fine milliput which is scribed with the moniker of "Marshal" using a dental probe. Needs a bit of sanding and a little distressing I think.

Edited by Rumblestripe
4 people like this

Brilliant idea!