Avro Vulcan B.2 XM607 "Black Buck" 1/72 Airfix

I`d like to ignore it, but I just can`t! :worry:

Look at these pictures - all are from Operation Corporate period:

54b4ea18af78c5979a8e7fccbd5be2f0_zps8q9t

d61eae03bc620454463e78810bf1e7d7_zpstk3k

xm706_zpsxbo0pvkk.jpg

I guess that it has something to do with refuelling system, which was added to Vulcans just before their road to Ascencion Island. Diffusers? But why they`re not visible on Vulcans after Falklands War? :nerdy:

Hello all,

according to the book "Vulcan 607" every possible trick was tried to minimize fuel spray during disconnect as it blurred the view. Different ideas were tried and finally Vortex generators were found to be the most satisfactory solution (not perfect however). Fuel still spilled on the windscreen.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 6

Thanks, guys! :worthy:

I recognize this mystery as solved.

I think I should include those Vortex generators in my model. Maybe it will be the first Vulcan model with them? :rolleyes:

Thanks once again!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2017 at 9:52 AM, alex_stela said:

xm706_zpsxbo0pvkk.jpg

I guess that it has something to do with refuelling system, which was added to Vulcans just before their road to Ascencion Island. Diffusers? But why they`re not visible on Vulcans after Falklands War? :nerdy:

The B. 2s always had provision for Air-to-Air Refuelling (AAR) but this was deactivated when the strategic nuclear deterrent role passed to the Navy's Polaris boats.  Up to that time the Vulcans appeared not to need any aerodynamic crutches to deal with fuel spillage during refuelling.  I suspect that over a decade of inactivity coupled with the need to remove inhibitor in a hurry, some of which had achieved the consistency of reinforced concrete, made the system more leak-prone than it had been in its younger days (a bit like me, I think).  Some of the Vulcans had a (very) colander-like piece of kit as a trial fit pre-Operation Corporate but the vortex generators proved to be the least-worst fix.

I suspect that they came off after Corporate as the now much more impending departure from service coupled with the assurance that Argentina wouldn't be doing any more sabre rattling for a little while meant that the requirement for the Vulcans to receive fuel in flight had convinced a Top Neddy at the Misery of Disarmament that the removal was another cost-ineffective way to spend the taxpayer's hard-earned: why else devote the engineering effort to a fleet on its way to the knackers' yard?

Great work so far and I think those are the best finished ejection seats I have seen for a long time - the colours are nicely blended and realistic

CJP

• 1 year later...

Giving this one a bit of a bump!

Stunning work so far and would love to see more of your progress....

One of my stash ideas is to have XM607 (Airfix kit) being refueld midflight by XL163 from Revell's range (Victor K2 also at Assention during the Black Buck 1 raid).

Not entire sure how I'll do it yet, but it is in the pipe line of ideas.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, alex_stela said:

xm706_zpsxbo0pvkk.jpg

Alex,  really nice work on your Vulcan, I see the last post was a good while ago, any progress?  I'm also very interested in the source of the middle picture above, my interest is personal as I'm in it!  Far right wearing the 'Thunderbird' jacket.  I can only find the picture here when I google for it.  If you are able to tell me the source I'll see if I can get a higher definition copy.  Stumbled across this last night whilst researching my own Vulcan build, it brought back quite a few memories.

Gentlemen,

I'm tempted to start a new Vulcan project and this time finish her as XM607. Does someone know whether "607" has been re-painted since the Falkland War? Those who wonder why I'm asking this, take a short "flight" over RAF Waddington with Google Maps satellite view and zoom in when you spot the Vulcan. I've never seen better "painting instructions"!

Cheers,

Antti