Avro Vulcan B.2 XM607 "Black Buck" 1/72 Airfix

Hi!

I`d like to show my work on old Airfix` 1/72 Avro Vulcan B.2. It will be another model in my "Falklands War collection", so I`ve decided to build XM607, which took part in 3 "Black Buck" missions during Operation Corporate in 1982. 

falklands-8a.jpg

I`ll use Airfix` kit (A50097 "Vulcan to the Sky" edition), Flightpath`s PE detail set, Master`s refueling probe and resin MB Mk.3 ejection seats from Pavla (I`ll convert them to Mk.3KS). Some scratch work will be required too, as the kit is lack of any details. Airfix` Vulcan is widely known, old kit (1983), so I think inbox is unnecessary... ;-)

vulcan_work1%201_zpsp7jqsncl.jpg

vulcan_work1%202_zpswgtbff8b.jpg

My work is in progress now, but I`ll show you what I did so far. First off all I`ve decided to rescribe all the panel lines, because those on the kit are too high, too wide and too ugly... :-)

vulcan_work1%203_zpstwj1mh0f.jpg

Vulcan model is quite simple to rescribe as it has a lot of big and flat surfaces. The problem is that it`s very big as for 1/72, so there`s a lot of painstaking work... But it`s definitelly worth it!

vulcan_work1%204_zpsy5azfu6j.jpg

vulcan_work1%205_zpsduvvdax8.jpg

As you can see I`ve rescribed panel lines on unassembled parts, because it`s much more comfortable. Of course after assembling I will be forced to correct some of the lines, but it should be piece of cake. There are much bigger problems with this kit than this! :-P One of them are engine air intakes, which require a lot of putty and sandpaper. But I`ve won first battle with them! :-)

vulcan_work1%207_zpshekocpnm.jpg 

Second battle will be when I`ll try to fit them into fuselage...

• Like 16

Great! I plan to build mine next year. I already rescribed it and got some after market stuff including the same Flightpath set you have. I plan to build it in over all white with Blue Steel though. Will follow with interest. Nice work so far.

René

• Like 2

Next step was to cut some plastic from the fuselage off - a place for airbrakes, which are included in Flightpath`s set - I`ll make them extended. As you can see the bomb bay will be closed.

vulcan_work1%206_zps6pskwkav.jpg

vulcan_work1%208_zpsoemltska.jpg

After that I`ve glued wings halfs together and cut off "double bubbles" from wing bottom (XM607 didn`t have them).

vulcan_work1%2012_zpsnbhbgwsp.jpg

Next step was: "Do something with engine exhausts!".

I left resin exhausts from Flightpath`s set in a bag because they are for Olympus 201 engines, while there were Olympus 301s on XM607. I`ve decided to do some scratch build with use of kit exhausts:

vulcan_work1%2011_zpspzvnhovy.jpg

Maybe not the best, but I think that better than Airfix wanted... ;-)

And now - second battle with air intakes - successfully glued to upper half of fuselage, gaps filled and sanded. Third battle will be to fit them to lower half of fuselage, and another one with paint them... ;-)

vulcan_work1%2010_zpsrnbwcmic.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks, guys! Now let`s look what I did to the cockpit this week. I know that there will be nothing to see when model is finished, but I would not sleep at night if I don`t do something for the Vulcan`s crew. ;)

I`ve started with panel instrument. There is brass part in Flightpath`s set, but unfortunatelly there is no foil with instruments for the back of the panel. Airfix` decal didn`t fit to it, so I had to cut all the instruments one by one from decal and apply it to panel base. Not perfect, but I think it`s quite good. Then I`ve started to convert Pavla`s resin MB Mk.3 ejection seats (for Hawker Hunter) to 3KS version which was used in Vulcan.

vulcan_work1%2013_zpsm9yfccqw.jpg

I`ve decided to do some scratch work with cockpit deck and make a lower deck for 3 other members of crew too. Only basics - pure decks and seats, ladder to pilot`s cockpit and some more panels for pilots. Nothing of these will be seen after fuselage closing, so I did`n want to waste time for better detailing. :P

vulcan_work1%209_zps4ut5doq3.jpg

After all I`ve put it all to upper half of fuselage. As you can (hardly) see I`ve made navigator`s panel - it`s just printed photo, but it looks great from distance. :rolleyes:

vulcan_work1%2014_zpsdphkl81t.jpg

As you can see I didn`t forget about drilling rear crew`s windows in fuselage!

And today (at last!) I`ve closed the fuselage. Now it dries, but I hope I`ll return to my Vulcan soon!

vulcan_work1%2015_zpsj5cidqd9.jpg

Have a nice weekend! ;)

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25 November 2016 at 0:39 PM, Caerbannog said:

Great! I plan to build mine next year. I already rescribed it and got some after market stuff including the same Flightpath set you have. I plan to build it in over all white with Blue Steel though. Will follow with interest. Nice work so far.

René

If you can beg, borrow, steal, buy or by other means obtain one use the Blue Steel (and its decals) from the Airfix Victor: it's far better than the one in the Vulcan kit.

• Like 4

To Caerbannog: You are pretty right, to create a Blue Steel carrier is a great challenge... Nevertheless now, when really good molded kits are available I am waiting for an unique flying couple of Operation Black Buck. I mean kits of Airfix, of course. Who will be the first, dear friends?

9 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Actually I got the Airfix Victor and am a bit torn which plane to build with the Blue Steel now :-)

You could do any of the last five Victors completed, XM714 to '718, in white but without Blue Steel or you could do a camouflaged SR. 2 with the weapons bay doors closed in Dark Green, Medium Sea Grey and White (I'm not sure if markings for 543 Squadron are on the forthcoming Xtradecal sheet: I'll check in a minute).  Alternatively a Blue Steel aircraft with the fairing doors for the weapon closed (there's another thread dealing with this aspect in "Cold War" IIRC.

sorry about the thread drift Alex.......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It`s a hard fight with this kit... Tons of putty and sandpaper. I pray for more patience... :angry:

vulcan_work2%201_zps1nmcvneo.jpg

vulcan_work2%202_zpstj81at3b.jpg

vulcan_work2%203_zpsam7k9c0e.jpg

Now wings are assembled to the fuselage - fit is really terrible! It will take another tons of putty and sandpaper... 

Disastrous kit, but... what a fantastic plane!!! :shocked:

vulcan_work2%204_zpscdzmxipp.jpg

vulcan_work2%205_zpssadxbq7q.jpg

So maybe it will take a year to finish it, but I`ll do it! 

Vulcan is just worth it!!! ;)

Edited by alex_stela
  • Like 9

I will definitely continue my work! I hope the worst part of it has already passed... :ner:

I have one question to "Vulcaonologists" - what are these dark points in front of windshield???

falklands-8a_zpsfdnaupza.jpg

I didn`t see it on other Vulcans, on XM607 in other periods neither! So I think it`s temporary improvement for Black Buck missions` aerial refuelling. Any idea what it is? It doesn`t seem like paint...

• Like 1