F-4E Phantom question

old_tonto

Revell F-4F kit? It's almost the same plastic apart from the slotted stabilisers. Loads of info on the site if you use the search function, or Google "F-4F vs F-4E"

Previous thread

Another discussion saying the same stuff!

Al

Edited by Alan P
Speling and grammer

Depends on the timeline as there are slightly different aerial fits plus the hump sensor, but for all f-4e's the horizontal stabs are different for a start, and also early f-4es lack the slatted wing, which is included in the revell box if you fit the spare outer wings and not fit the 6 fairings under the wing

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Drat you just had quote me before I corrected :P 

Sorry. The pedant in me just can't be restrained!

EDIT: even more annoying, I can't erase the post I made. :frantic:

Edited by Alan P

Hi, old tonto,

Basically, the stabilators. Fs have the early un-slotted ones without the triangular reinforcement plate, Es the later slotted with it. Unless you want a "hard-wing" E or EJ.

Other than that, it is a matter of details mostly related to the timeframe. You should check the specific airframe.

Fernando

The earliest F's didn't have the reinforcement plates. I don't have any information when that changed, so I suppose you'll have to check on whichever airframe you're modelling. Revell's 1/32 has the plates already moulded, so you'll have to remove them if you backdate it. 

Also the tip of the fin needs changing if you use the Revell F kit, again, depending on the airframe.

The arrow shaped reinforcements were not in the original design of the F-4E, most Es had them at some point but they were not necessarily there from the beginning, they were retrofitted at depot level. Same for the F, aircrafts may be seen with and without the reinforcement

Most of the differences are internal, rear cockpit layout for example. Also, the -F was simplified compared to the -E, so it was not wired for the Sparrow missile, and never carried them (I know, never say never). The ICE upgrade allowed AMRAAM's to be fitted and used from the sparrow wells. Interestingly, the -F was going to be a single seater, but this idea was shelved, possibly because of cost. The fact the -F's had unslotted stabs, meant that for commonality, the RF-4E's purchased also had unslotted stabs.

Also, the German Air Force also purchased -E's, for training in the USA.

Ted

The reinforcement plates could be found either in top or on the bottom only or top and bottom. Since the stabilator unit was interchangeable you could find the same jet with different arrangement depending on time frame. But both were always changed as pair since it was a whole connected unit. Another unique difference of the F to other models is the fact, that the forward slots of each missile bay (were the forward Sparrow fin would fit in) had a GAF unique cover installed. So this slot was closed. Only when AIM-120 was introduced these covers were removed when launchers were installed. The ICE radome also has a different shape than the regular E radome. It is fatter when seen from front. SOP for the Luftwaffe Phantom was to park the jet Slats out & flaps down, while all other users parked the jet Slats in & flaps up. I guess this also has to do with the lack of AIM-7 capability. Since loading the rear missiles require the flaps to be up. When we had NATO evals which required the jet to be loaded with AMRAAMs we had to park it in & up so the chiefs could load the rear missiles.

Cheers

Scout

Edited by Scout712
  • Like 3

Another subtle external difference can be found on the top end of the tail fin. The F had a "blank" fin, while some USAF E models had an antenna bulge in the same place.

aF41u-40.jpg

F-4E with the bulge

f4f_german_phantom-07.jpg

F-4F without it

Edited by Westwind

IIRC the F also lacked #7 fuselage tank, so with the apparent lack of the need for too much gas, it would have been somewhat logical to dispense with the IFR receptacle and associated plumbing, but I am not sure if this was actually the case.

9 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

IIRC the F also lacked #7 fuselage tank, so with the apparent lack of the need for too much gas, it would have been somewhat logical to dispense with the IFR receptacle and associated plumbing, but I am not sure if this was actually the case.

The F-4F retained the IFR capability and this was used whenever these aircrafts had to cross the atlantic for some reason (like deployments to the US or Canada)

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1