Hello dears, another one P-47N Thunderbolt Academy

Hello Dears,

Aarf Aarf Aarf ! I finally got it, after some guessing, skull sessions,

Here's the first step

WP_20170324_22_22_21_Pro

I take some measures on a P-47D, look at photos and finally did that

I have another piece of plasticard for the centering of the windshield.

WP_20170324_22_23_06_Pro

Pushrods, Magnétos and cowling flaps are improved.

Will finish her this year I think...

Since here is how I'm modelling

WP_20170324_22_22_10_Pro

Still a kitchen table modeller for a while and counting...

No carpet monster but the colour of the floor is a nightmare for looking after a tiny part.

And finding it before my big doggy find it

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

I've just spent a few minutes poring over my old P-47D build to see why you are having troubles with the canopy when I didn't, and I think I've come up with a few suggestions.  Firstly, I suspect your cockpit tub may have been built up too wide, as witnessed by the poor fit of the top seam and your insertion of a fillet in the rear decking.  This seems to have spread the two parts of the rear roll-over/canopy rail frame wide, and pushed back the canopy.  Also, I think you have the windscreen set a little too far back.  Look at the first panel line in front of your screen, and compare it to the pic of my build below:

31715395104_47071af759_b.jpg

airframe4.jpg

The reason the canopy is hanging inside the cockpit aperture is that it should be further forward, with the narrower hoop sitting on the edge of the aperture as it curves in to the centre.  If you put the canopy where it should be, you'll need to reinstate the cut-out for the gun-sight, unless you're not including it for some reason :)

Here's another pic of mine, showing the location of the windscreen, and the lack of alterations needed.  I know mine's a D, but the clear sprue is marked "P-47D/N", with the most notable difference in the fuselage being the fin extension forward onto the spine.

airframe2.jpg

Hopefully that might help you get things back in line, but if you wanted to have a squint at my build thread, you can find it here. Good luck :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Mike,

Thank for the tip, I think it's only part of the problem, since;

In the détails and Scale about the P-47, the problem of the cockpit aperture is already highlighted.

On the P-47N the back of the Dashboard is not visible.

It is also said that the shape of the aperture is wrong and oversized.

Let's compare with the Tamiya.

WP_20170325_20_41_31_ProWP_20170127_23_10_40_Pro

So I start by the rail on each sides, they are not even engraved on the Academy

WP_20170222_22_54_56_Pro

But, you're right about the adjustment, I add an Aires interior and I did'nt erase enough on the fuselage.

Whatever, thank for the tip and the nice words.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp, détails and scale's fan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dears,

I'm glad about it, the fitting look better like that, what do you think ??

WP_20170405_20_32_51_Pro

Hiii Haayyyy ! Not too bad I think.

WP_20170405_20_33_12_Pro

The spine has been sanded, that's obvious, the engine has improved too, tomorrow, I'll finish the engine cowling.

Thank for watching.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 7

That is an impressive recovery. I sure wish that I could be building now. My real "Boss" has me tearing up the kitchen and dining room floor in preparation for ceramic tile installation and painting !!! I guess that I will go from an air brush to a big paint brush !!            Bob H.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Henry said:

That is an impressive recovery. I sure wish that I could be building now. My real "Boss" has me tearing up the kitchen and dining room floor in preparation for ceramic tile installation and painting !!! I guess that I will go from an air brush to a big paint brush !!            Bob H.

Hello Bob,

Raaaah real bosses:angry::wub: !!!

I know what you mean, always balancing in between the 2 above pics !

I have to finish my daughter's bed room and then to start our bedroom.

In the same time, I must recreate a stonewall, 7 meters high for my "castle on the hill" house...

My back is already aching just in thinking about it :please:

All my supportibve thoughts for your homework.

Take care of yourself.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

PS; did you ever heard "There is so many interesting things to do and you're still playing with your toys :bangin:" ???????

Good luck on the stone wall !! I noticed that you will have to re scribe the panel lines after the repair work on the top of the nose. Hopefully that will go well.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:49 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Bob,

Raaaah real bosses:angry::wub: !!!

I know what you mean, always balancing in between the 2 above pics !

I have to finish my daughter's bed room and then to start our bedroom.

In the same time, I must recreate a stonewall, 7 meters high for my "castle on the hill" house...

My back is already aching just in thinking about it :please:

All my supportibve thoughts for your homework.

Take care of yourself.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

PS; did you ever heard "There is so many interesting things to do and you're still playing with your toys :bangin:" ???????

Salut,

I still can't believe a reputable company has stuffed up a cockpit coaming so badly!!! But well done!!!! I am impressed!

Having said that, I will not congratulate you on your choice of beers...

A 7 meter high wall? Are you expecting le Petit Tondu again?

As for your PS, the answer is yes...

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1

Hello Jean,

I promise you not to talk about the aborted belgian 2€ coins of 2015:rofl:

Once you get in Belgium, give this beer a try, there is blond and dark ones, tasty but as usual, Dangerous. (Slash and Fergie way)

I buried lots of frenchies, americans (not a game) and some brits and irish.... They did'nt see it coming, at the third or fourth in the best case whooops ! dropped !

But I stop all these contest long ago, I'm serious now:crap:

I did'nt fear le petit tondu at all, since my family came in Belgium with the Marechal Blücher, we just settled here.... Sorry about that

The 7 meter wall is easy to understand, how did you recognize german toddlers on a beach in France ? :evil_laugh:

No, in fact my house and tiny garden has been build on a cliff, 7 meters high, and the wall has crumbled 3 years ago, so I must make it more solid than it was.

As in the village, almost all the house are stone made, usual in ardennes I must respect the urban laws and cannot include a vierling bunker :hobbyhorse:

Have a nice day, I'm going to model right now, see you later. Take care of yourself.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

6 hours ago, jean said:

Salut,

I still can't believe a reputable company has stuffed up a cockpit coaming so badly!!! But well done!!!! I am impressed!

Having said that, I will not congratulate you on your choice of beers...

A 7 meter high wall? Are you expecting le Petit Tondu again?

As for your PS, the answer is yes...

Keep having fun!

JR

Hello Jean,

Here I'm again with my old stories, it was in Kipushi, at the 29th of june ther has been decree of "bouclage" that mean no one can go in and out of the city.

There's one of my tortuous idea, as the 30th of June was the national day, we decided to do a suppotive march for the "guide of the people"

35kms through the bush from Lubumbashi to Kipushi, welcomed (really) by the militaries, in the middle of the trip I drank some water and a Tembo (75cl of strong dark beer)

When we make it to Kipushi, we defied the authorities but european and Zairese friend who did a supportive march.... Rebel but with a brain. They salute us 5 and I drank another Tembo.

WP_20170407_20_15_08_Pro

and the ladies receive some flowers.

Another one but a year later in Kinshasa

WP_20170407_20_15_20_Pro

Fixing my daddy's car, an Oldsmobile Toronado (armoured) with my brother and our german Dogge.

That was a piece of a car !!

So I get back to my Kit-chen table..

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

Hello Dears,

Lot of work this night, spend some time with the kids, looking at "the walking dead"..... They liked it, I don't but.

Worked on my next RFI, on the following one and on the P-47

Tried the nose with NMF, just a tiny sink or two to fix and then engraving the panels lost in the battle.

The cowling flaps are opened and improved, see ?

WP_20170407_22_43_13_Pro

I thinned it a lot, add the spacer, will thinned it also and paint and weathering Und Foilà !

I started the wiring of the Pratt too.

Have a nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Hello Dears,

Too tired yesterday, I worked on the beast again.

WP_20170409_00_12_18_Pro

Coming back soon,

Take care of yourself.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Hello Dears,

Some news of the P-47

WP_20170409_23_01_35_Pro

Well the Academy engine is not too bad but...

It did'nt correspond to the M or N version

In fact, it is right for a C or a D, but with a good painting, it can do the job.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hello Dears,

Engine finished and ready to enter the cowling.

WP_20170410_23_40_11_Pro

Tomorrow or wednesday, the beast will be presented, not the beast of this thread, another one.

Can't wait to have the engine installed, I make some spacer to have the Prop at the right place.

See you soon and thank for watching.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Good job on thinning the cowl flaps. It really adds to the "Scale" appearance of any aircraft model and I try to do it whenever possible. For those who have not tried it yet I'll give you a tip. You can use the #11 Exacto knife blade but do not use the cutting edge. Simply turn the knife around and use the back edge of the blade to do the scraping. It is much more easily controllable and is less likely to catch and make deep unwanted gouges. I can hardly wait to see the finished bird on the flight line !!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dears,

What should I say... :huh:

That way my Thunderbolt look absolutely ridiculous... :rofl:

WP_20170413_20_35_04_Pro

I will make some scratch to fix it. In case of a glance through the now opened cowling flaps.

More to come soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hello dears,

No question of accuracy here, the goal is to make some aesthetic surgery. A californian cher'ish Thunderbolt :rolleyes:

The main goal is that the void was visible through the cowl flaps.

I did this with some parts from various origins.

WP_20170414_23_51_46_Pro

It look a little bit better, And now ladies and gentlemen, she IS a Thunderbolt ...

WP_20170414_23_56_23_ProWP_20170414_23_56_36_Pro

I think that the engine in the cowling look good, what do you think about ?

WP_20170414_23_56_03_Pro

As I look at the photo, I will correct the brush strokes in the cowling and make some chipping.

And I have engraved the nose of the beast,

WP_20170414_23_58_27_Pro

We are now nearing the completion of the kit, will go to the painting bench soon.

More to come in a few days, tomorrow Mrs CC give a conference  and I must help her.

See you Sunday or monday, did'nt know.

Have a wonderfull easter week end.

May Easter bunny bring you a nice kit :pipe:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

I'm liking the progress. I was hoping for a nice dark chocolate bunny to be delivered by the Easter Bunny this morning but it didn't happen. Good luck on the painting bench and remember to take your time and get it right !!          Bob H.

• Like 1