My first foray- Tamiya 1/48 P51D 359 Fighter Group ***Finished***

Antb

Hi all, 

Firstly, hope My posting here has been done correctly, I'm a new guy. Please give me a kick if not. 

I I have never done anything like this before, at all, so feel free to shout anywhere I can do better. 

Joining the the group build if I may by building a Tamiya 1/48 P-51D as IV-W "Babe" as flown by Lt Vernon Judkins of the 359th fighter group based at East Wretham. The actual aircraft can be seen at this link here (I wasn't sure on copyright so posted the link instead) https://www.facebook.com/120987634620533/photos/a.122077067844923.21021.120987634620533/1028863450499609/

Heres the obligatory box shot

image_zpswgjgitab.jpeg

And the aftermarket stuff that I am using for this build including the decals for my aircraft choice 

image_zpsdlejsmpq.jpeg

This is going to be fun, I hope. 

Thanks for reading this far. 

Antb 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard for your first GB, it's great you could come along and join the fun. They are a great way to pick up new and helpful tips, plus there's always heaps of good advise available as well if you get stuck.

Nice choice, the Tamiya Mustang does build up into a lovely model.

Look forward to seeing her completed,

Thank you @trickyrich

i have are built this kit before, around 5 years ago when I just fancied one from hobbycraft. I didn't have a clue back then as hadn't discovered shading or even varnishing :o but have learned a lot more techniques since then so hoping this will be decent enough. 

I have ate been out and grabbed supplies today so hoping to get an hour in tomorrow at some point, kids and SWMBO dependant of course :rolleyes:

fingers crossed there here will be some actual progress shots to post shortly. 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

finally some progress to report. Have managed to get the PE in the pit, since these photos everything has had a blast of primer so waiting for it to dry before painting and assembling the pit. 

First up, the seat. It looks a bit messy but has been tidied up. 

IMG_2811_zpscn4gnlnk.jpg

The PE in the pit 

IMG_2812_zpsqvcjovxn.jpg

And the PE IP. The dials have had some more PVA applied so is drying in this photo, so,e tidying up needed when dry but you get the idea how it's looking. The green needs another coat too. 

IMG_2814_zpsibew6wzq.jpg

Should get these all finished and some more progress pictures uploaded in a few days time. 

Thanks for now 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

wow, very nice!

any specific reason why you glued the seatbelts on before painting?

Thanks!

To be honest it's a bit of an experiment to see how I get on glueing into position first and painting afterwards. I've used PE belts once before that were pre painted but as these aren't I didn't want to paint first and end up having to touch up or re paint once I had tried to glue on seeing as though they're super fiddly. 

I might be proven that I should have painted first but I will try this way and learn from my mistake if it happens and change for my next build if it fails. 

• Like 1

Managed to get the pit painted yesterday evening, here it is so far. The side walls have had their PE added and have had a coat of green, more green and the details to be picked out and then can look at getting the fuselage buttoned up. 

Here are are some photos of the pit from this morning. 

IMG_2824_zpsbg9eruxo.jpg

A front on shot of the seat with the PE belts painted 

IMG_2823_zps48wwvucb.jpg

And a top down shot showing the battery, dry brushed and washed 

IMG_2821_zpssmwlath1.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers guys, 

made a a little more progress last night. Managed to get the sidewalls painted and shaded, got no pictures sadly, and the pit is in position. Here it is glued into position on one side

IMG_2825_zpsj73qpldg.jpg

And here we are all buttoned up waiting for the glue to dry. After building a P47 I had forgotten just how small the mustang was. 

IMG_2826_zps6zx83c0k.jpg

More to follow during the course of the week, hopefully. 

Cheers 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 1

Good evening fellow modellers, 

I have made some further progress with the build this week. 

My first job once the fuselage was together was to drill out the exhaust stubs to make them look a little better 

IMG_2827_zpscuir3i3t.jpg

Wheel wells have been painted and shaded 

IMG_2833_zpsankgjpzm.jpg

I have undercoated in grey, then gloss black and then sprayed some aluminium out of a rattle can. BABE Doesnt appear to be natural metal judging from the photo I posted in my first posting so I'm happy to run with aluminium for now. This is the current state of play as of this evening. I am going to spend some more time this evening and hope to get quite a bit more done with a view to getting some decals on this weekend. 

IMG_2831_zpstuclkys0.jpg

Oh and this arrived earlier in the week too.... oh my what a gorgeous kit 

IMG_2837_zpsnghllhze.jpg

Thanks for looking this this far if you have done 

cheers 

• Like 5

Hi guys 

Managed to get quite a bit more done yesterday and a little this morning too. Doesn't seem like we're far off being completed now. 

Yesterday saw the decals go on, they were a little tricky and didn't really want to settle despite copious amounts of solution but I've got them to where I'm happy with them so it's all good. The decals got a clear coat and were left overnight. 

This morning the model got a wash of flory dark dirt

IMG_2838_zpspqbzz96t.jpg

Ive never used the flory washes before and have to say they're actually quite good. 

This was left left to dry and was then wiped off. I've left a bit more on than maybe I should but this aircraft seems to have seen some action despite the pilot not scoring and I wanted to replicate this. 

IMG_2840_zpsynavlv9j.jpg

The olive drab has been cleaned up since this photo was taken 

IMG_2839_zpsbbmja9to.jpg

And an overall shot from the top

IMG_2841_zpshfb3a1lp.jpg

and finally one of the underneath

IMG_2842_zpszbti7c64.jpg

flaps are to go on, prop and nose cone has been painted, then wheels and about done I reckon. 

Cheers 

• Like 3

Good evening, 

Have been plodding along this week grabbing time as and when I can and then this happened before I knew it. Apart from a gloss cote BABE is finished. 

Apologies for the the number of pictures, I got a bit carried away. 

IMG_2852_zpsjk0m3ko3.jpg

IMG_2853_zpskacxlq8w.jpg

IMG_2854_zps1wlfgwih.jpg

IMG_2855_zpsitlawoza.jpg

IMG_2856_zpsosh8aqbu.jpg

IMG_2858_zpsxgngucmn.jpg

IMG_2859_zpss7qvdytb.jpg

IMG_2860_zpsoemc6vst.jpg

IMG_2861_zpswrynkhxx.jpg

It's not perfect but I'm quite pleased with it. 

Will add add the pics to the gallery

Edited by Antb
  • Like 4

@Joss thanks for the comments. I knew I modelled fairly quickly but as this is the first time I've ever documented a build I've surprised myself. 

Im lucky really though, as I manage an hour or two most nights after the kids have gone to bed and when the Mrs sits watching soaps, strictly and the X factor -_- I have a hectic job so it's nice to sit and paint to relax whenever I can. 

My next project might not be so quick, the 1/24 typhoon.... have had the box open and it looks lovely, just hope I can do a decent job on it. Need to remember that patience is the key. 

@Blitz23 thank you. The original picture I found seems to show a battered old bird and I wanted to try and replicate this. It might not be accurate but I like it ad it's more subtle than the photos suggest. 

Cheers guys 

• Like 1