1/6 Tamiya Honda CB750 Four

I bought this kit from a model shop in Beijing about 6 years ago, but never had the courage to build it. However after cutting my teeth on the last two Tamiya bike builds I thought I would crack on with it, I plan to paint it in the candy gold colour. I found the engine side covers were in a chrome finish, but they should be a polished alloy, so I have buffed them with a Flory polishing stick and I will give them an oil wash to dull them down a touch. I should crack on with the build with this 70's glam rocker over the weekend.

xLz8zUD.jpg
DgyvzFB.jpg
OItYPq8.jpg
egVBcuq.jpg
p7JvqgT.jpg
8ayRGh0.jpg
m8XzUjb.jpg
GK6Kiqm.jpg
MxAlt1p.jpg
Xk1apBr.jpg
35bQPhR.jpg
JCiwvfY.jpg
VD6EHC2.jpg
58z2c7M.jpg
YCYBhQy.jpg
fpwMbpR.jpg
ktEqxXH.jpg
1cXl1C7.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 2

I used to ride one of these 4 bangers in my younger days.   Lovely smooth machine.      Will be interested to see what you think of this kit.   

Might be fun to do up my old machine from it.

Good luck.

Frank

2 hours ago, albergman said:

I used to ride one of these 4 bangers in my younger days.   Lovely smooth machine.      Will be interested to see what you think of this kit.   

Might be fun to do up my old machine from it.

Good luck.

Frank

Cheers Frank,Tamiya went all out with this kit,considering its age,they over complicated some of the details mostly in pursuit of originality,the rear shocks are built very similar to the real bike,and so for the front forks,the chrome work is stunning,but i have had to tone down some of it as its in danger of looking like a diecast model.

Hi guys, been busy on the CB750 build. I wanted to retain the original silver finish that Tamiya had coated the parts with on the wheel spokes and engine cases. They were a good base for adding buffable paints, I used dark iron as a wash coat, then added aluminium as a dry brush for highlights, also for the bodywork I used an automotive silver grey for the base coat over a light grey primer, then I added four coats of Inspire Fools Gold Candy thinned with self leveling thinner. Then I left it overnight to dry, I added another two light coats of the Fools Gold Candy and two coats of 2k clear gloss. I can decal the tank and side panels and the rear of the seat over the weekend and then finish them off with a final clear coat.

There is provided in the kit some stick on chrome strips to add to the bottom edge of the petrol tank, however there should be some stainless steel strips that run along the bottom edge of the seat. These are not provided in the kit, so I cynoed some silver solder to the bottom of the seat. The plan is once the seat has been painted and satin clear coated I can sand back the paint to reveal the silver solder, it should make a nice neat strip around the bottom of the seat. Also I should be able to begin fitting the battery carrier, forks and engine into the frame, so hopefully by next week I should have a rolling chassis.

6TfkJsy.jpg
VL7JFGj.jpg
qEPqfbn.jpg
i1TDjyE.jpg
MH5B0cz.jpg
D0V3Npr.jpg
RIcB5Dh.jpg
9T6akRS.jpg
Hk3RqLY.jpg
GRhU24x.jpg
hzT8oDY.jpg
mM1Yy7z.jpg
Ms3G7qj.jpg
ShUOcGe.jpg
KeYFgGZ.jpg
6qSB9Ce.jpg
vM8YyI0.jpg
HexIibk.jpg
S3anyw2.jpg
oRYO2CT.jpg
X5A0Mig.jpg
0rTdFEd.jpg
rPaOz6n.jpg
uBJbFlF.jpg
vx92m9s.jpg
wPsk8gG.jpg
lsOXNDC.jpg
ACq111c.jpg
FnDzScV.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 3

That looks really great, most impressive, my CB750 (real one) was the bluey green colour, probably the best bike that I ever owned though I still have 2 CB750F's, so I will follow this with interest.

Cheers

Dennis

51 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That looks really great, most impressive, my CB750 (real one) was the bluey green colour, probably the best bike that I ever owned though I still have 2 CB750F's, so I will follow this with interest.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,i have recently bought 4 classic bikes to restore/fettle with,1976 KZ900A4,76 GS750,75 GL1000 Goldwing in the bluey green,and 82 CBX1000 PROLINK in pearl white,all US imports,except the Goldwing which is a UK bike one of the very first in the country,in very original condition.

You lucky lucky man I've wanted this kit for ages but can only find it for stupid money. Possibly the best bike I ever owned, I honestly can't decide between my Triumph 900 and this, mind you if someone offered me one and I had the money I would bite their arm off. What you have there is a work of art, i can see already you're going to do it justice, now I've found this I will be watching it.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2016 at 0:52 PM, morty_3333 said:

Hi Lee!

Great job on the paint,I've tracked the Inspire Airbrush Paints down and book-marked them for the future!

By the way, which 2K do You use,is it Inspires own or another brand?

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

Hi Pete,i use a 2k clear called Pro Spray 7000,sold through Jawel paints,also Mipa 2k clear is very good,i use their 2k matt clear on things like the seat on the bikes,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...