Airfix 1:72 new tool Gnat - nose weight and other questions

Cheshiretaurus

This question has got me thinking - a thread of this nature would probably be very useful to all.

Such as - Does the xxxx (choose your scale & kit) need nose weight, if so how much?

There are those aircraft that are obvious candidates (Canberra / B-25 Michell), however there are some others which IMO are not (Phantoms?)   

Just a thought... cheers... Dave.

• Like 1

Useful idea Dave.

Starters for ten?  I've located ballast (where required) as far forward as possible so in the JP 3, for example, I've poured some very small lead shot in through the nose wheel bay opening after assembling the fuselage and then added PVA to hold it in place, standing the model on its nose whilst the PVA sets.

1/72 No ballast required:

Airfix Folland Gnat T. 1

Airfix Harrier GR. 1/AV-8A

Airfix Harrier GR. 3

Airfix Harrier GR. 7/9

ESCI F-4J/S Phantom

Fujimi F-4K, F-4M, FG. 1, FGR. 2, F-4J(UK)

Italeri SEPECAT Jaguar A/T/GR. 1/T. 2

1/48 No ballast required:

Airfix Folland Gnat T. 1

Hasegawa F-4 Phantom FG. 1, FGR. 2

Hasegawa/Revell Harrier GR. 7/9

1/72 ballast required

Airfix Lightning F. 2A.           fill radome & it's fairing

Airfix Lightning F. 6.             fill radome & it's fairing

Airfix Jet Provost T. 3.          1 ounce above nose wheel doors

1/48 ballast required

Airfix Canberra B. 2/6/20.       120 grams above & around nose wheel bay

Airfix Lightning F. 1/2/2A/3/6/53.         fill radome & it's fairing + area above intake duct ahead of cockpit.

Airfix Meteor F. 8

i'm sure others can add to this list.

• Like 3

Steve,

That's just brilliant... however I sincerely hope that we are not hi-jacking this thread!

I can add that the Airfix Vampire T.11 also needs at least 2g of nose weight and there's plenty of room within that fat nose to house it in. 

The rest of my completed kits all seem to be tail draggers, however 2017 will hopefully address this with a long list of Post War stuff to build.

Cheers.. Dave.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies chaps and thats a brilliant idea for a nose weight reference thread and thanks for the list stever219. Maybe one of the mods could put a sticky somewhere.

Next question can I leave the main gear doors off until the end of the build? I realise the legs wont fit in after its closed up but what of the doors?

Thanks CT

19 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Next question can I leave the main gear doors off until the end of the build? I realise the legs wont fit in after its closed up but what of the doors?

Thanks CT

I had no trouble doing just that. By the way, I also fit in the undercarriage after closing up --but it's not practical nor is it fun.

Jay

On 24/11/2016 at 9:16 AM, stever219 said:

Useful idea Dave.

Starters for ten?  I've located ballast (where required) as far forward as possible so in the JP 3, for example, I've poured some very small lead shot in through the nose wheel bay opening after assembling the fuselage and then added PVA to hold it in place, standing the model on its nose whilst the PVA sets.

1/72 No ballast required:

Airfix Folland Gnat T. 1

Airfix Harrier GR. 1/AV-8A

Airfix Harrier GR. 3

Airfix Harrier GR. 7/9

ESCI F-4J/S Phantom

Fujimi F-4K, F-4M, FG. 1, FGR. 2, F-4J(UK)

Italeri SEPECAT Jaguar A/T/GR. 1/T. 2

1/48 No ballast required:

Airfix Folland Gnat T. 1

Hasegawa F-4 Phantom FG. 1, FGR. 2

Hasegawa/Revell Harrier GR. 7/9

1/72 ballast required

Airfix Lightning F. 2A.           fill radome & it's fairing

Airfix Lightning F. 6.             fill radome & it's fairing

Airfix Jet Provost T. 3.          1 ounce above nose wheel doors

1/48 ballast required

Airfix Canberra B. 2/6/20.       120 grams above & around nose wheel bay

Airfix Lightning F. 1/2/2A/3/6/53.         fill radome & it's fairing + area above intake duct ahead of cockpit.

Airfix Meteor F. 8

i'm sure others can add to this list.

1 ounce for the Airfix JP? are you sure? I don't think the entire kit weighs that much! The instructions say 2.5 grammes.

Selwyn

Instead of listing specific aircraft that may or not need nose weight, just look at the positioning of the landing gear.  If the C of G of the kit is to the rear of the MLG, add nose weight and add it fwd of the MLG - the further fwd you can add it, the less is needed.  Simple as that.  Solid fins/tailplanes can often add weight to a model that you wouldn't think would be a tail-sitter,  so take that into consideration.  A quick n' easy way to find the C of G if it's not apparent is to dry-fit/tape as much of the airframe together as possible and balance it while lightly holding it between your thumb and forefinger.  A good starting place is holding it approx. at the position of the MLG and then working from there...

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 4

Whether a kit needs ballast is mentioned in the instructions isn't it? What might be useful to list exceptions where no instruction is given leading to an unintended tailsitter? Should such a thing exist?

Airfix Gnat, no mention of ballast, non needed?

. . . Kes

Edited by Kes

Hence my previous comments. Instructions aren't foolproof.  Adopt the idea of routinely checking C of G vs the position of the landing gear (especially when any doubt exists) and you shouldn't even need it mentioned in the instructions.  After a while you'll get to the point that you can just look at a kit and determine if weight is to be required. 

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

Some kits just indicate weight needed without showing how much needed, a bit hit & miss. I've used Scott's method to determine tail sitting tendency & if I think its marginal, I'll add a little, which is why I did the Gnat like that, maybe my finger tips are a not very accurate fulcrum. :unsure:

Steve.