1/72nd Airfix Beaufighter built as a USAAF NF.VIf of the 416th Night Fighter Squadron, USAAF

Hiya Folks,

Yes I`ve churned out yet another Airfix Beaufighter,........the latest one represents Beaufighter, NF.Mk.VIf KV912 which was one of many provided to the USAAF under `Reverse Lend Lease'. Based in the Mediterranean area from Tunisia, Italy and Corsica, it was named `Fluff' with each of the engines also named `Amby' and `Patsy'. Painted in the standard British night fighter scheme of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green, the RAF national markings were painted over and replaced by American stars and bars, in this case the early style with red outlines; . Here is the subject aircraft;

Image result for beaufighter usaaf fluff .

And here is the same aircraft, as you can see the Brick Red painted areas on the model represent the doped fabric seals often applied around here and the tail and on many Beau`s, the red shrinking dope was often applied quite scruffily without painting a camouflage colour over the top

Beaufighter%20FLUFF%20-414thNFS-Italy194

Here is the WIP on the MTO Group Build;

And finally here is the model; 

DSCF9542_zpsalqsgyrz.jpg

DSCF9541_zpsuicnbq9y.jpg

DSCF9552_zpsunvuqwhj.jpg

DSCF9549_zpshrw8tswb.jpg

DSCF9545_NEW_zps2mudgzq1.jpg

DSCF9553_NEW_zpskv4yypaf.jpg

DSCF9556_zpsytm79niv.jpg

It was painted using Humbrol acrylic Medium Sea Grey and Polly Scale Dark Green  and I`m really happy to finally have a USAAF Beau in my collection,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 35

That's different - and very nice Tony! Have to say I'm not usually a great fan of British aircraft in American markings, but I do like that one - maybe it's the early insignia that does it?! Can't say I remember seeing the red dope areas represented on a model like that before, but they add a nice bit of colour! And I certainly don't ever remember engines being named before...!!

Really interesting build, & I've said it before, but I always seem to learn something new from each of your builds - great stuff!!

Keith

• Like 1

And yet another fine built Tony and great to see something of our's the Yanks used,excellent work as usual,I,ve just finished Tamiyas

48 scale nightfighter last night and thought during the build the nose looked a bit blunt and rounded the Airfix kit seems to confirm it.

• Like 1

Thanks Fella`s, glad you like it and yes Steve, I`ve always thought the same about the Tamiya kit,....be lovely if Airfix upped theirs into 48th scale eh!

Cheers

Tony

Nice one, Tony!

That scheme's on my Beau "to do" list, together with an Aussie bird.  Where did you get the AI aerials?

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

Nice one, Tony!

That scheme's on my Beau "to do" list, together with an Aussie bird.  Where did you get the AI aerials?

Regards

Martin

Got the antennae from the spares box from an old Hasegawa kit.

Thanks again everybody.

Cheers

Tony

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very tasty!

Seen at Dayton last month:

30394094533_2477925fa5_k.jpgBristol Beaufighter by tony_inkster, on Flickr

Glad you like the Beau and you lucky devil,......I would love to visit that museum, which along with Pensacola and a few Canadian Museums are on my bucket list, although I`l probably never make it. Thanks for your fantastic Beau photo, nice to see the USAAF represent their use of the Beau like this,

All the best

Tony

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Airfix Beaufighter built as a USAAF NF.VIf of the 416th Night Fighter Squadron, USAAF