Homemade Spray booth

IainStott

Hi guys, I am thinking of building my own spray booth and extraction system as I have some spare materials and fan and motor out of a kitchen extraction hood. I plan to put the fan in an MDF box separate from the actual spray booth and connect the two with some flexible hose.

Does anyone have any advice or anything on how well this idea might pan out with this sort of blower?? 

Thanks in advance

Iain

I used a full extractor hood for mine, which must be around 8 years ago now.  I fitted it upside down to act as my spraying surface, boxed it in and hung a daylight fluoro in the top and a hole in the workshop wall to vent the fumes.  I tried a bathroom type extractor initially, and it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.  £40 extractor hoods will do a good job though.

You need to clean out the motor and interior every six months or so, but they work a treat, and don't bother with filter paper in the grille, as it just clogs up - blast the paint particles and the fumes out of the building as a oner, and save yourself some money.  Some folks will caution you that you might blow yourself up if you spray thinners etc. into an un-shielded motor, but that's bunk.  Extractor fans can be placed over gas hobs, so it's highly unlikely that the motor will be a source of ignition.  Either way, I've not managed to blow myself up yet :boom:

• Like 2

Cheers, that's great. I tried a bathroom extractor once too and had same results, I can't believe there were so many results on it tho when I looked. Bought a full hood myself, but could do with the spray booth being smaller. Plus separating the motor from booth as the flexible hose should catch most paint and put a carbon filter (overkill but peace of mind as quite an unventilated area at times) on it at some point to deal with any fumes.

Cheers

Iain