Aviators wanted

greggles.w

.. recommendations sought:

I've a few 1/48 open cockpit interwar racers as future projects, and I'm contemplating modelling them with a pilot in place.  Can anyone recommend a suitable aftermarket or other candidate?

These racers have cramped cockpits, so it's principally the head which will be visible. It needs simple early goggles & leather flying helmet.  This rules out WWII figures with their radio equipment & oxygen mask, while the typical low altitude of racing & cramped cockpits rules out WWI figures which typically come with bulky flying jackets / suits.

Non-military clothing & no parachute would be a bonus, but not essential ...

Any advice appreciated!

thanks,

g.

• 1 month later...

I've got the same issue with a 1/32 Supermarine S5 I want to build. The best thing I could find were racing drivers. Preiser do some good racing driver figures, not sure if they do 1/48 though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug Rogers said:

The best thing I could find were racing drivers

.. that's a great idea, thanks Doug! A quick look online shows they certainly look the part.

Scale will be the issue. Plenty at 1:43, which by my calculations is approximately 10% larger than 1:48.  Intolerable if it were the aircraft, but for a figure that's only half a foot difference in height. So as long as the 1:43 racing driver is not too tall, then that should be fine!

thanks again!

1 hour ago, greggles.w said:

.. that's a great idea, thanks Doug! A quick look online shows they certainly look the part.

Scale will be the issue. Plenty at 1:43, which by my calculations is approximately 10% larger than 1:48.  Intolerable if it were the aircraft, but for a figure that's only half a foot difference in height. So as long as the 1:43 racing driver is not too tall, then that should be fine!

thanks again!

Shouldn't be too much of a problem - many of the pilots of those aircraft were built like jockeys anyway (it helped keep the weight down).

• Like 1

Some of the Lindberg/Inpact/Aurora etcetera 1/48 between wars aeroplanes came with very decent pilots.

I would get one of these and make a mould of that pilot and make resin copies.

Not as hard as it might be thought to be.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2017 at 1:15 PM, Black Knight said:

Some of the Lindberg/Inpact/Aurora etcetera 1/48 between wars aeroplanes came with very decent pilots.

I would get one of these and make a mould of that pilot and make resin copies.

Not as hard as it might be thought to be.

Another good suggestion thanks.  I might just post a call-out under the 'wanted' section for any languishing unwanted pilots from these kits you list above.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

On 05/01/2017 at 2:41 AM, Doug Rogers said:

I've got the same issue with a 1/32 Supermarine S5 I want to build.

.. & it seems I will soon have an S5  too Doug, but at 1/48!  The kit will come sans decals, but there seems to be still & moving footage of the S5 both in all-over natural metal finish when first rolled out & duo-tone painted finish with RAF roundels during racing. Not sure which I will pursue .. have you a scheme in mind for yours?

5 hours ago, Doug Rogers said:

Didn't know they did an S5 in 1/48? Which manufacturer is that?

Probably looking at the aircraft with the number 4 and roundels.

I'd be keen to know that too :) 

11 hours ago, Doug Rogers said:

Didn't know they did an S5 in 1/48? Which manufacturer is that?

6 hours ago, Col. said:

I'd be keen to know that too :) 

I wish I could report that some enlightened manufacturer had released a new offering .. but sadly no.

I've been fortunate to be passed the Atelier Noix kit.  As said above it's missing decals - but very happy regardless!

• Like 1