Tamiya Spitfire - Malta

Hi everyone

I finished this Spitfire MkVb a couple of weeks ago for the current MTO group build so thought I should I also post it here for those who havent made it that far down yet.

Finished in the colours of American pilot John Joseph Lynch of 249 Gold Coast squadron based on Malta in the spring of 1943.

Extras were a Freightdog DH prop, Eduard seat belts, Master gun barrels and i used an old set of Montex masks for the national insignia, the sqadron codes were home made masks from Tamiya tape.

First all of the markings were sprayed.

image_zpsivdby1cv.jpeg

Next, these aircraft were delivered to the docks for shipping in dark earth, mid stone upper over Azure blue camo more suitable for North Africa and were subsequently re painted in a dark blue similar to US Navy sea blue on route to Malta. So this is what I tried to copy here. A bit of free hand airbrush practice with Gunze Aqueous paints.

image_zpspybkoxdh.jpeg

Then the sea blue was applied trying to leave it a tad patchy.

IMG_1598_zpsstpgujo7.jpg

IMG_1603_zps85pfdoyp.jpg

And the finished model after a dark panel line wash, a very thin filter of Tamiya flat black and red brown to dirty things up a bit in places, dust pigments and some AK Interactive fuel stains.

IMG_1625_zpsoc8eimzk.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsutwxwoti.jpg

IMG_1627_zpsk9zoqh95.jpg

IMG_1628_zps1qzccves.jpg

And some oil stains using black oil paint on the underside. The Azure Blue is Vallejo.

IMG_1630_zpsci5xoyuu.jpg

IMG_1631_zpsnliceya6.jpg

Thats all folks, questions and comments welcome. If you havent had a look yet then do take a look at the MTO GB page as there are some interesting subjects there.

Thanks

James

• Like 30

9 hours ago, franky boy said:

And some oil stains using black oil paint on the underside

A lovely looking build and finish James.  For the oil stains, what and how much do you add to the black oil paint to thin it out?  I am looking to start adding weathering and detail such as this so would appreciate advice/help.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments chaps.

On 23/11/2016 at 6:17 AM, Nomis61 said:

A lovely looking build and finish James.  For the oil stains, what and how much do you add to the black oil paint to thin it out?  I am looking to start adding weathering and detail such as this so would appreciate advice/help.

Simon

Simon, the oil stains were made with Windsor and Newton ivory black oil paint. Simply put a tiny dot where you want to the streak to begin, moisten a brush ever so slightly with thinner and draw it backwards in the direction of the airflow. The great thing with oils is because they take a long time to dry you can wipe the stain of if you're not happy with it. Just remember to leave it for a good 24 hours to dry. HTH.

Thanks

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malta said:

Great paint job, love it. Question though, would it have not had a Vokes filter?

Thanks Malta

The photo I found of this aircraft shows it to have the standard air intake rather than the Volkes filter.

I wonder if by this time, April 1943,  and flying fighter sweeps over Sicilly they were trying to keep the MkV competitive with the 109G and this was a way of streamlining it a bit more? 

If Tony O or any other much more knowledgable person than myself comes along they'll probably give a much better answer.

thanks

James