1/144 Cathay Pacific Revell Airbus A350-900

Flipper

I'm trying to get the smoothest finish I can, and as Phil and Hans recently said it's all about the panel joins, these have got to be as smooth as I can get them.
After the grey primer had dried I noticed some scratches from the sanding sticks.
So out came the finer sanding sticks. As you can see the extent of the scratches, almost 90% of these were hidden by the grey primer.
8AE4AEDA-DA0A-4222-863E-F9C3CA9D4EE2_zps

And after the finer sanding sticks. The plastic is quite soft, so it was easy enough to sort these out. Ignore the grey centre line, I painted the insides of the fuselage prior to joining them.
11A685F1-E246-4396-A02E-A8D37DBAA626_zps

So after I did one section, I decided I'd better go over the rest of the plane. Next up more grey primer.
FD5F82C9-7BBA-464E-9878-B7E1C66B8425_zps

• Like 1

HI There,

Just to add to the confusion, looking at the photos I have seen and from my trip on B-LRA I have myself fairly well convinced that the wings are actually also white top and bottom. In some pictures they do appear to be a grey shade, but if they are it is definitely much lighter than Airbus grey and I think it is all down to shadows and lighting.

Maybe someone who has access to the 1:1 scale version can confirm for certain one way or the other.

• Like 1

Cheers guys I'm going paint it all white with the stripe.

Anyway on with the build, this thing is so hard to paint when it doesn't fit in the spray booth. 
After smoothing it all I then gave it several coats of grey primer followed by black primer, this shows that I have got the seams more or less spot on.
2E82D18A-ADE5-45CC-8009-919E7C442C53_zps

After this had dried I laid down several coats of white primer
ED5E53AD-C3FB-40A7-88F8-8439C533E6A9_zps

CC51555D-7D8C-4A5F-9E9F-1A42BE417D28_zps

After this had dried, my latest purchase turned up, some Mr Color Self Levelling Thinners. I've never used this, but I'm well pleased with the results. I mixed this in a roughly 60-40 mix with Tamiya Gloss White.
77F67DBF-014D-48EF-B88D-E57097F549BB_zps

53E0F223-07F8-4D97-82F7-09C062BA16E9_zps

5411A233-DC71-4362-8A99-4AE9B8EAA7BF_zps

That's it for the moment guys, I'll leave this dry now for a few days then it's onto the stripe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chris Baines said:

HI There,

Just to add to the confusion, looking at the photos I have seen and from my trip on B-LRA I have myself fairly well convinced that the wings are actually also white top and bottom. In some pictures they do appear to be a grey shade, but if they are it is definitely much lighter than Airbus grey and I think it is all down to shadows and lighting.

Maybe someone who has access to the 1:1 scale version can confirm for certain one way or the other.

This video suggests that the lower part of the fuselage is a very light grey, lighter than the wing grey.  It was a similar combination with the old scheme.

Edited by buzz
  • Like 1

Cheers Buzz, yeh that's what I was saying earlier. I don't know either it's down to lighting or if the central colour has an effect, but I've seen some planes where it looks like there is a definite grey there, then I see others where you think nope it's definately white on the bottom portion.

I think I'm just gonna go with the bottom portion being white, also it makes things a lot easier for me.

Also I know the colour I have for the central stripe is not the exact match, but again it is in some pics but not in others.

Hi Flipper,

Excellent job on your A350 so far. The aircraft is surprisingly big, especially when comparing it to its older siblings the A340 and A330.

Just to clarify the earlier observations on the colours, these are some notes on the A350 paint scheme I've been able to gather from the actual livery drawings:

The light grey lower fuselage is on the previous version of the Cathay Pacific livery (with the red and green nose details) and is listed as a Boeing coded colour BAC 70537. The greyish blue shade used for the wide fuselage stripe was BAC 70536. For their new livery, as introduced on the A350, the BAC 70536 grey in the wide stripe was replaced by the BAC 70537 grey; the bottom of the fuselage is now BAC 7143 white to match the upper section.

The A350 wings, pylons and horizontal stabilisers are classified by Airbus as non-customisable components. These are painted in Airbus' standard 'Matterhorn White' top and bottom with a white Aeroflex wingbox (inspar area). Matterhorn White seems to be a 'less bright'  shade than some of the customised whites specified by the airlines on the fuselage (for example Finnair uses RAL 9003 on the fuselage and winglets, Lufthansa use BAC 7945 and Singapore's A350s are BAC 7067). As a result there may be a contrast between the two shades of white which could explain it being interpreted as the wings being a light grey. This is particularly noticeable on the Ethiopian A350. The only A350s that actually have light grey wings are the prototypes as depicted on the Revell kit instructions. These are painted BAC707 grey top and bottom with grey RAL 7004 Aeroflex inspar areas. The one exception is MSN005 (the carbon livery) which has white upper wings but grey undersurfaces.

I hope this answers the questions on the colours used. I'll be watching the rest of your build with interest and look forward to see the final result.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bloody hell Jonathon that is some level of detail. Cheers mate.

So if I am getting this correct the wings are white but a satin type finish.

The colour I've got for the centre line is FS25550 which going by the various photos is close. I've hunted everywhere for the correct shade and somebody who actually makes it, but needle in a haystack comes to mind.

This is it brush painted but you get the idea. It might be a bit blueish so I'm gonna do some spray outs with some white added.

5C9142E9-9FB9-4F57-8412-804077979AE3_zps

I ran out of white doing the fuselage so I've order a couple more pots of it.

Edited by Flipper

6 hours ago, XV571 said:

Hi Flipper,

Excellent job on your A350 so far. The aircraft is surprisingly big, especially when comparing it to its older siblings the A340 and A330.

Just to clarify the earlier observations on the colours, these are some notes on the A350 paint scheme I've been able to gather from the actual livery drawings:

The light grey lower fuselage is on the previous version of the Cathay Pacific livery (with the red and green nose details) and is listed as a Boeing coded colour BAC 70537. The greyish blue shade used for the wide fuselage stripe was BAC 70536. For their new livery, as introduced on the A350, the BAC 70536 grey in the wide stripe was replaced by the BAC 70537 grey; the bottom of the fuselage is now BAC 7143 white to match the upper section.

The A350 wings, pylons and horizontal stabilisers are classified by Airbus as non-customisable components. These are painted in Airbus' standard 'Matterhorn White' top and bottom with a white Aeroflex wingbox (inspar area). Matterhorn White seems to be a 'less bright'  shade than some of the customised whites specified by the airlines on the fuselage (for example Finnair uses RAL 9003 on the fuselage and winglets, Lufthansa use BAC 7945 and Singapore's A350s are BAC 7067). As a result there may be a contrast between the two shades of white which could explain it being interpreted as the wings being a light grey. This is particularly noticeable on the Ethiopian A350. The only A350s that actually have light grey wings are the prototypes as depicted on the Revell kit instructions. These are painted BAC707 grey top and bottom with grey RAL 7004 Aeroflex inspar areas. The one exception is MSN005 (the carbon livery) which has white upper wings but grey undersurfaces.

I hope this answers the questions on the colours used. I'll be watching the rest of your build with interest and look forward to see the final result.

HTH,

Jonathan

It's posts like the above that make this forum and it's members great!

She's coming along great Flipper. I look forward to seeing the next post.

• Like 1

It comes as a flat decal, however the trick is to carefully cut between the white lines all the way into the spiral, that way it will conform to the cone. Very tricky to do, and you really need a sharp scalpel or knife.

Hi folks, now on with the stripe that runs the length of the plane. I thought this would be relatively easy to mark out, but it was a complete pain. First off I tried to use normal Tamiya masking tape, which gave a nice straight line, but when it came to creating the curve round the nose it just wouldn't conform to the curve.
I then bought some Tamiya Curvy tape, which although created a nice curve round the nose, it was a complete pain to get a straight line with.
Anyway I eventually managed it and laid down the top masking line.
I then cut small masking strips to act as a guide. This worked fine and the bottom line was quite easy to mask up using Tamiya Curvy Tape.
80C839AF-0819-4D91-958F-67D9CF32591F_zps

I then masked it up and painted it in the blue I mentioned earlier. Although not 100% perfect I think it will do for now.
23F35A44-C1FA-4E58-B8F5-DE093A79B3D1_zps

7CF46D2C-04B5-456B-96CB-3E6C256D5FBF_zps

A2CC2A5A-6821-4909-8FE4-7336E5A75569_zps

2001F5C6-4488-4BA3-AEBF-C57580F4FC45_zps

94E83570-04D8-4BD0-BCFA-F4E1FEC92E16_zps

Anyway that's it for the moment, I hope you like the progress so far and thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Looks nice and straight and crisp to me.

For your next build there's no reason you can't mask the straight parts with the normal Tamiya tape and the curvy bits with the curvy tape. Then you get the best of both!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Again cheers guys. Well that's the decaling started. The decals are laser printed, which are a bit thin for my liking, but other than that they are going down fine.
I've finished all the fuselage decals but obviously I'm keeping the full thing under wraps for the moment, so here's a wee sneaky peak at a peek at it.
D951510F-9D70-466C-B5AF-8D830A4655C2_zps

Still a few other bits and pieces to do to it, but I hope you like the progress so far.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...