1/72 Revell FW190 A8/R11

Oddball

Bought this little kit a while ago so I reckon it's about time I made a start on it. I've decided to go with the R11 night fighter version, straight OOB, probably, maybe.

Overall this looks like a nice kit, although there's a bit of flash in some places, but then the molds are 20 years old. Was 1996 really two decades ago?!? It doesn't feel like it.

On the negative side, the solid rear half of the canopy is molded into the fueselage halves, and while the canopy glass is lovely and thin, the forward windscreen is way over moulded, and both clear parts are very poor overall, uneven flow of the plastic has left ridges and distortion all over the place, but hopefully I can clear them up a bit with some micromesh and a klear bath. We shall see.

So we've started off with the usual suspect, the cockpit. I'm not really going into massive detail in here, even if I can clear up the canopy it'll still be nigh impossible to see any real detail, so I fired it all together, slopped on some german grey and whapped the fueselage halves together before my AMS got the chance to kick in. Excuse the blurryness, my camera is on charge and the phone just doesn't do closeups very well.

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

On a side note, is it just me or have Tamiya changed the formula for their paint? The german grey is a new pot purchased recently and even without thinner seems to brush on way better than before, not much clogging up at all.

• Like 1

Progress has been made the last couple of days, I've managed to attach the wings, tailplanes and assorted bits and bobs. The wingroot gap was massive but I slipped some plastic strip in and sanded it smooth and it's come out pretty well. The gun cover plates (?) on the upper wing surfaces need some fettling though, I tried to bend them a little to fit the curvature but they still won't sit flush, so I'm going to take them off again and do a little filing, see if I can't get a better fit. The guns aren't very nice to be honest so i've drilled out the wing openings and I'll sort something a little later on.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Still a few areas to tidy up but she's coming along nicely. One thing I've noticed on the sprue is one of the Neptun antenna is bent. At first I thought packaging error but I've since  looked at a couple of other wips with the exact same deformity, so maybe a mold release issue? Odd.

IMG_1163.jpg

• Like 1

Did this kit some years ago and thought it rather neat for the money.

Mine didn't suffer from duff glazing though,I cut off the portion of the sliding hood from the fuze.and fitted it open with a

saggy antenna wire that Anton Hackl said he remembered his '190 had due to the roller in the hood being broken and allowing

the wire to make a drumming sound against the fuselage when taxying(a sound he said he'd always remembered).

Finished it in the supplied markings as Gunther Migge's "White 9".

Edited by Miggers

It is, for the price you pay for it. There is a little bit of flash but then cleaning up flash isn't the end of the world, at least for me anyway. Well I've set to work on the clear parts, you can see from the attached photo just how opaque the canopy is, and the windscreen is very thick, well over scale even for armoured glass. I'll see how it goes, if I can't make an improvement I may have to fork out for a vacform. Ah well.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

I do believe I'll go for the same markings, the kit decals are pretty nice. Some aftermarket swastikas wouldn't go amiss though.

• Like 1

I've added some homebrew (read inaccurate) RLM 02 to the undercart bays and doors. RLM 02, there's a hotly contested colour for you. Just type it into google images and see how many different results you get. :doh: But some weathering will sort that out. Probably. I hope.

IMG_1172.jpg

• Like 1

Well I finally succumbed to the fact that the cockpit glazing is just going to take way too much work, Well probably not that much, just more work than I can be bothered to do if I'm honest. So I took the plunge and purchased my very first vacform canopy (so tips and tricks would be appreciated) from Rob-Taurus. Very nice it is as well.

IMG_1175.jpg

But this was nowhere near Hannants minimum order amount so of course I decided I might as well get a couple of other goodies.

Aber turned barrels and pitot.

IMG_1176.jpg

And Master FuG 218 antennae. Note the no11 blade for scale, how they manage to turn these things is beyond me.

IMG_1179.jpg

I can already hear the carpet monster stirring. :mental:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while what with the twins taking up my every waking moment but I've managed to make a little progress on the Würger. I've fettled the vacform canopy into place, and miraculously managed to assemble the FuG antennae without losing any bits to the gaping maw of the carpet monster. I'm going to leave them off until I'm in the final stages, I'm crazy, not stupid. ::thumbsup2:

She's resting under a nice coat of primer, and I'll do a little pre-shading on the undersides once it's dry.

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some more intermittent progress, thanks to my lightning quick blu-tacking skills and the speed at which vallejo model air dries I've managed to do the majority of the paintwork (barring the odd touchup and detail work) in a a couple of hours. A light coat of microscale gloss to seal it up and she's looking pretty tidy.

IMG_1445.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks fellas.

15 hours ago, arbrownra said:

That's a neat contraption for holding the kit.

It's a third hand clamp, usually used for soldering but I've found it really handy for holding things for painting and fitting those little finicky parts that need (unsurprisingly) a third hand. You can usually pick them up for around a tenner, and some come with a magnifying glass fitting too. You have to make sure the parts are well protected though, the crocodile clips are pretty strong and I could see them easily indenting some of the softer plastics out there.

• 1 month later...

Making some more headway now, just finishing up the decals then I'll seal them all up. The decals are very nice indeed, lovely thin carrier film and they respond very well to micro set/sol. I did have a slight bit of silvering on one of the upper wing crosses (all that clear film in the middle, surprise surprise), but a few gentle swipes with a fresh no11, and the excess film just peeled right off.

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...