Apollo 11 recovery

Top notch. Best in Show for sure..

My earliest memory - watching the moon landing with my parents and all the hotel guests while on holiday in Cornwall.

I also had the Dinky version. Yours is slightly better!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, Meatbox8 said:

That looks brilliant.  A great vignette.  I was too yound to remember Apollo 11 but can just about remember Apollo 17 crewed by Cernan, Schmitt and Evans with the Lunar Rover.  James Burke doing the presenting on the BBC, Also Sprach Zarathustra and the anxious wait for a visual on the parachuting Command Module.  So different from today's indifferent media coverage of space exploration.  I was particularly disgusted by the sneering attitude of the media when Beagle crashed.

Can anyone remember if Apollo 17 was the one where the crew played golf on the Moon?

Apollo 14, with Capt Alan Shepard USN 7, the oldest person to walk on the moon, was also the first to hit a golf ball on the moon's surface with a specially designed club head that fit into a standard tool he would access to on the surface. http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/feb-6-1971-alan-shepard-plays-golf-moon

• Like 2

Really awesome build, love this topic especially. I can remember exactly where I was when the mission happened, used to avidly follow all the launches, then to the Shuttle. Saw the first night launch of the Shuttle, as I went to college in North Florida, so we used to have great views of every launch. Before I was in school in FL I was in the USNR and actually watched the Columbia shuttle STS-4 (had a DoD payload) fly over my ship off the Cape. There were 3 ships, we circled in the area as a physical presence until the booster rockets were retrieved by NASA, as there were Soviet ships out there monitoring the launch and could have recovered the boosters. I also witnessed the Challenger STS-5 L tragedy.    

• Like 1

Missed this somehow last year. To quote President Zaphod Beeblebrox "'That is really amazing.That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it"

@AdrianMF To that end could you possibly let me know where the capsule paper model download came from? I've done some googling but drawing a lot of blanks on anything that matches the image in your build thread

• Like 1

Missed this as well originally. A lovely diorama.

I'm of the age group that was just about old enough to really get into the Apollo programme - something that I am still passionately interested in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PEG LEG PETE said:

Apollo 14, with Capt Alan Shepard USN 7, the oldest person to walk on the moon, was also the first to hit a golf ball on the moon's surface with a specially designed club head that fit into a standard tool he would access to on the surface. http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/feb-6-1971-alan-shepard-plays-golf-moon

Thanks.  In which case I am old enough to remember Apollo 14 as well.  Was that the crew that sang 'I was standing on the Moon one day, the merry merry month of May'?  Funny how these little things stick in your mind for nearly half a century. 

• Like 1

I remember the TV catching fire in perfect synch with the launch of Apollo 15. I started to smell something burning at T-10, the picture disappeared at main engine start (as did the sound), and a flickering flame coincided with what must have been lift-off. I held the patio door open as Dad dumped the telly on the grass.

Never a dull moment.

The replacement was a colour TV. Luxury!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

To that end could you possibly let me know where the capsule paper model download came from? I've done some googling but drawing a lot of blanks on anything that matches the image in your build thread

It doesn't come up as a free download when I google it any more - it may have been free for a limited time. However, another page here contains a useful "unwrapped" diagram of the command module. If you download that picture and scale it, it provides as much information as I used from the original card model, and it seems like it's more accurate in window and hatch placement too. The build thread (vignette GB, last year, referenced in the first post of this thread) provides more information on what I used and how I did it. When the command module returned to earth, the upper panels were jettisoned to allow the parachutes to open and the floats to inflate. So if you want to model the recovery, you should leave out the inner segment of the module and scratch up the bits and bobs that live there. Hope that makes sense!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I remember the TV catching fire in perfect synch with the launch of Apollo 15

Now there's an Apollo memory that most of us don't have!

And thanks everyone for the kind comments - I'm glad it's still entertaining people.

Regards,

Adrian

4 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I remember the TV catching fire in perfect synch with the launch of Apollo 15. I started to smell something burning at T-10, the picture disappeared at main engine start (as did the sound), and a flickering flame coincided with what must have been lift-off. I held the patio door open as Dad dumped the telly on the grass.

Never a dull moment.

The replacement was a colour TV. Luxury!

Sorry to sound a like a schadenfreude, but that's a very funny story and I nearly spat beer over the monitor. Glad you got a colour TV after that! :D

• Like 1