Apollo 11 recovery

That looks brilliant.  A great vignette.  I was too yound to remember Apollo 11 but can just about remember Apollo 17 crewed by Cernan, Schmitt and Evans with the Lunar Rover.  James Burke doing the presenting on the BBC, Also Sprach Zarathustra and the anxious wait for a visual on the parachuting Command Module.  So different from today's indifferent media coverage of space exploration.  I was particularly disgusted by the sneering attitude of the media when Beagle crashed.

Can anyone remember if Apollo 17 was the one where the crew played golf on the Moon?

• Like 3

Hello,Adrian - Your superb Apollo 11 Recovery Diorama sums up what great modelling is all about.A wonderful reminder and tribute to this iconic event.Beautifully created and finished work.I love it. 😉👍All the best,Paul.

• Like 2

Hi Adrian - Excellent diorama, I like it a lot. It's like the old photos of the recovery have become alive.

A couple of months ago I came across this interesting Tailhook Topic about the Old 66 and its several guises. I then watched pieces of live broadcast of the recovery of Apollo 13 on YouTube and even commentators next to the presenter touched on the significance of that specific helicopter (not sure if that part comes up in the link though). Guess I'm saying I love the subject.

Jay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Can anyone remember if Apollo 17 was the one where the crew played golf on the Moon?

I can't remember as I wasn't around then, but I do have my cherished NASA book Apollo Expeditions to the Moon - The moongolfer was Al Shepard himself, on the Apollo 14 mission.

Cernan and Schmitt on the Apollo 17 did sing however - "I was strolling on the moon one day, in the merry merry month of... December - no, May! May!" - but alas no golf.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 2