Airfix 1/72 P47 Thunderbolt

Hello All,

I have been plodding along with the old Airfix Thunderbolt, vintage 1963. It's quite a decent kit for its day and it was fun to build, but there are plenty of better Thunderbolts out there now! Here it is:

Airfix_P47_Finished_1.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_2.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_3.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_4.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_5.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_6.jpg

Airfix_P47_Finished_7.jpg

WIP is here.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 30

That looks really great.  What did you use for the natural metal?  It's very affective.  Also, are those the kit supplied decals?  They look good too. The model certainly seems accurate to me for such an old kit.  Mind you, 1963 was obviously when Rosie the Riveter was at the height of her powers! 

• Like 1

Thanks!

The natural metal is brush-painted Revell acrylic silver, which I love! (although the AK True Metal pastes run it close). The blue in the kit stars and bars is very pale and the decals were yellowed, so I used aftermarket insignia. The code letters are cut right back to the black and the other kit decals are trimmed to get rid of the yellowed  varnish.

As a kit, it stacks up very closely against the Academy in terms of outline, but the "razorback" is very rounded in comparison. I upgraded the wheel wells, undercarriage doors, cockpit and cowl splitter, and I added some drop tank/bomb latches but that was it. The fit wasn't anything to write home about but I've had far worse!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Adrian,

You've obviously put a lot of work into that.  I love seeing old kits having tlc lavished on them and turning out so well.

Great job!

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments! I had a lot of fun doing it - I think the problem with a lot of older Airfix and Frog kits is that the moulds have often seen better days. If you pick up an old example made when the moulds were new it will often often have much clearer canopies and fit a lot better than a modern/Frogspawn example.

Next time I do one like this I think I would tone down the rivets a bit (I normally do) and scribe round the removable panels (eg the gun bay). But if I had wanted a smooth model with no rivets and panel lines, I'd have built my Academy one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Wow.  The fact that it is brush painted just adds to what a good finish this is.  I'm I have Revell Acrylic Silver but have only ever used it for details.  Might try something a bit more ambitious with it now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Wow.  The fact that it is brush painted just adds to what a good finish this is.  I'm I have Revell Acrylic Silver but have only ever used it for details.  Might try something a bit more ambitious with it now.

My thoughts exactly- I've only ever used it for detailing too, but this finish is a very convincing nmf!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Next time I do one like this I think I would tone down the rivets a bit (I normally do) and scribe round the removable panels (eg the gun bay). But if I had wanted a smooth model with no rivets and panel lines, I'd have built my Academy one!

No Adrian,stick to building  old Airfix gems, it's great to see what can be done with these kits that I happily stuck together as a kid in a couple of 

Hours, the more I see your builds the closer I get to finally having a go at the Sunderland!

• Like 1

Here's your proof that building and painting skills can win out handsomely over the necessity to have the latest state-of-the-art kits.

Thoroughly impressed with your work.

It encourages me to try an old-tool Airfix kit - like their Devastator or Swordfish.

They generally come cheap, so my wife can't complain about the $ either!

• Like 1

Adrian, like you I enjoy building the old Airfix and Frog "clunkers" and made a polybagged Airfix Thunderbolt earlier on this year. I didn't do anything more than remove the rivets whereas your improvements have taken it to a new level.

Good job!

Dave

• Like 1

On 2016-11-22 at 6:45 PM, AdrianMF said:

...It's quite a decent kit for its day and it was fun to build, but there are plenty of better Thunderbolts out there now! Here it is:...

I guess the kit makers are deliberately making  baby-steps improvements, just like any manufacturer. I am waiting for a recessed panel line with rivets protruding.

Your model looks excellent though. I myself have one in my closet waiting for a rainy day.

\\Dan

• Like 1

There may be better Thunderbolt kits out there now, but not many are built and painted to that standard. Proof positive that there is plenty of life in the old Airfix dogs yet.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 0:02 AM, Dave N said:

My thoughts exactly- I've only ever used it for detailing too, but this finish is a very convincing nmf!

Revell Aqua 90 is great stuff, by far my favourite silver straight from the pot.  It's reasonably fine grained.

• Like 1