Tiger, Tiger F-4J(UK) 1/32 Tamiya

Well, it's been a long haul but I'm finally calling this done, Tamiya's 1/32 F-4J finished as ZE352 74 Squadron RAF 1988. I bought the kit originally to do an FG1 conversion but with a kit being announced shortly after receipt decided I didn't need the pain of all that cutting and filling.

As we all know the UK J's were delivered in a funny colour so I wanted to emulate that but also wanted to do a scheme that was a bit out of the ordinary, ZE352 in 1988 seemed to offer this, she was bit worn and tired, had a replacement panel in RAF Barley grey and some zap graffiti, so this is what I was aiming to achieve:

20160411_023902000_iOS

I added some aftermarket - GT Resins F-4J cockpit and seamless intakes, Eduard exhausts, Yellowhammer decals and used some old Reheat ejection seats that I have had for ages as I wasn't so happy with the GT ones (detail was a bit muzzy). Painted in Xtracolour X127 for the Flint Grey and some assorted greys from the paintbox for the rest.

I apologise for naff pictures, I'll try for some better ones if the sun ever comes out again.

30370340243_7aa4c035a0_b.jpg

31063024931_ee016e8218_b.jpg

30810096780_d0841be2cd_b.jpg

20161023_082111541_iOS

These are from earlier in the build;

20160410_153839411_iOS

20161023_082132889_iOS

The hot section was painted with AK Interactive True Metal paste and some Baremetal foil. The red lines are to emulate the RTV sealant commonly seen.

20161023_082215684_iOS

All comments good and bad welcome.

Dave

• Like 25

Wow, what a wonderful build, captured the original very nicely indeed.

I thought the shot looking forward into the cockpit was actually a pic of the real thing. The undercarriage legs and wheel hubs are simply awesome, and the RTV106 round the exhaust area is a nice touch.

Beautiful work all round.

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments, I have another F-4 in the wings, this time it will be an F-4S in special markings but that's after the 1/24 Hurricane I'm working on.....

Dave

26 minutes ago, RNoAF said:

Is that a norwegian af zap?

I think it is, there was some discussion on the pinned F-4J(UK) thread earlier in the year, looks like she got herself a Noggie F-16!

I did find pictures that show ZE352 was also one of the handful of 'frames that got a full repaint in RAF AD greys although she is not usually listed as such. Once you start looking each aircraft had its own finish idiosyncrasies and they are not as boring as I first thought.

Oh how I miss the eighties and a variety of front line types.........

Dave

Because the figure on the intake is a famous norwegian cartoon/doll named Ludvig from the Flaaklypa movies :-) And the axe above the F-16 is the symbol of the 332 sq. of the norwegian af. 

Edited by RNoAF

Interesting RNoAF, the small figure, according to member tc2324, who is a 74Squadron Association member, is a cat, walking away, looking back over its left shoulder with a red star in its fundiment!

Apparently it was an emblem for the line servicing guys on 74, strangely the mails referring to this have been pulled from the pinned thread (probably because I transgressed with a picture, dohhhh) but your theory could be right.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

"Phantastic" 

Great work ! some nice details you have put into your Phantom :goodjob:

Would be nice to have some more RAF/RN 1/32 versions.

Guy

• Like 1