Mig-21 Bis - 1/72nd scale ; RV Aircraft kit .

Hello folks , this is the RV aircraft kit finished as an Indian Air Force airplane . The kit goes together fine as long as putty is applied along every seam .  The surface is festooned with rivets and I decided to try my hands at NMF weathering - think I went slightly overboard .   A downside is the kit doesn't includes any armaments , I had to salvage the R-60 missiles and the UB-16 rocket pods from other kits . 

Excuse the skewered pitot tube , it arrived in 5 pieces and it was an infuriating experience trying to align them .

IMG_0068_zpsy0rxp73e.jpg

IMG_0055_zpsvpu3nko7.jpg

IMG_0060_zpslssmgtqb.jpg

IMG_0057_zpsjbl8rz2k.jpg

IMG_0064_zpsvifribge.jpg

IMG_0062_zps1d8rn7fi.jpg

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 32

"....think I went slightly overboard ..."

Well. I surely don't know this particular bird, but having in mind a few pictures of Indian MiG-21s, I'd say you've surely caught "the flavour"!

Very, very nice model overall.

I have a particular thing about model pictures: I think that if you could take some at "man's eye" height, it would look even more convincing.

in pratical terms, it means taking pictures with the camera sitting on the same table where the model is, so that the center of the lens is basically at the same height of a 1/72 scale man's eyes.

Almost as the last picture, but lower, if possible.

Can you try?

Cheers

Davide

• Like 2

Cheers everyone for the kind words .

For the NMF , I used acrylic paints from Vallejo called metal colour , they are really fine and pleasing to the eyes . 

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 1

I like the weathered,dirty look of the MiG 21 as it's not fresh after a hangar servicing and to me (just my 'umble opinion) that it is more life like in service. The coloured fin is nice and overall I think it's superb and not overdone in the weathering department. Keep up the great work as I don't generally like heavily weathered aircraft but yours is superb.  The wonky pitot can be overlooked I think. Best wishes.

alabamac:viking:......frustrated Norseman.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 2:40 AM, Davetur said:

"....think I went slightly overboard ..."

Well. I surely don't know this particular bird, but having in mind a few pictures of Indian MiG-21s, I'd say you've surely caught "the flavour"!

Very, very nice model overall.

I have a particular thing about model pictures: I think that if you could take some at "man's eye" height, it would look even more convincing.

in pratical terms, it means taking pictures with the camera sitting on the same table where the model is, so that the center of the lens is basically at the same height of a 1/72 scale man's eyes.

Almost as the last picture, but lower, if possible.

Can you try?

Cheers

Davide

I appreciate your feedback and clicked a few photos today trying to replicate the angle :) 

CBBAB4A5-C72A-4964-8480-08E624C000A9_zps

9EED1B0D-A4FA-4DF3-9AE4-848300CFB636_zps

D695A674-5D56-4045-8E08-A6007E2A7FFD_zps

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Pitot tube in this kit is ALWAYS broken. :) Great build, fantastic finish. I built this one last year, and I still wonder if the canopy is correct or over-sized.

Thanks :) ,  I am not sure if the canopy is over sized but comparing to images online , the framing on the canopy is certainly way too thick .

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, Basuroy said:

I appreciate your feedback and clicked a few photos today trying to replicate the angle :) 

Exactly the effect I had in mind!

Very realistic, especially the first one. :clap2:

Cheers

Davide

• Like 1