PLAAF Pony

Col.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

So how did the Bestfong decals perform? Well they are a little thicker than those from the likes of Airfix and have a gloss finish but good colour density and pulled down into the panel lines when laid down on a coat of Klear.

After a finishing coat of matt varnish I think they will look fine :) 

Thanks Col, useful feedback.

I'll just add that this set is one of Bestfong production from two years ago, so it can be considered as a standard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Thanks Col.  I'm off to order my CNAF roundels and a P-40 sharkmouth set from them. :)

3 hours ago, Antoine said:

Thanks Col, useful feedback.

I'll just add that this set is one of Bestfong production from two years ago, so it can be considered as a standard.

A pleasure to be of service gentlemen :) 

I'm intending to give the decals a light rub down with some of the coarser grade Micromesh this evening then apply some matt varnish.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, Col. said:

Got the Pony up on her legs at the club last night;

1484135448.jpg

After getting home from the club I got another coat of white on the rudder before heading to bed.

Then today the rudder got its white stripes masked off and the red sections painted on. I got lucky and discovered the 3mm roll of masking tape gave the ideal spacing for the correct number of stripes required. Once the paint had cured enough to handle I picked off the masking fluid to discover how the weathered and worn effect would look...

1484135450.jpg

1484135453.jpg

Not too bad in my opinion. A light rub down and perhaps add a few small patches of the overpainted blue to hint at the previous owner will finish that. Decals next :) 

Cool effect - which masking fluid you use - or was it a purpose designed chipping product?

44 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Cool effect - which masking fluid you use - or was it a purpose designed chipping product?

Thanks Tim. It's Winsor & Newton Artists Masking Fluid, bought it years ago for more traditional artwork purposes but seems to do the job grand with both Alclad lacquers and enamel paints :) 

• Like 1

Think I'll call this one done...

1484505891.jpg

Will fire more photoes up in the gallery shortly. In the meantime can I say thanks to our moderators for making this GB happen, everyone who took the time to post some kind comments, and in particular @Antoine for sending me the Bestfong decals to make a PLAAF Pony possible :D 

• Like 2