Sword 1/48 Lightning T.5

woody37

31092306146_7a80ac6829_b_d.jpg

Having built the 72 scale one last year, when the 48 version was released, it was a no brainer to get one! It is typical short run quality in respect that there are no location pins and plenty of dry fitting and fettling is needed, but the detail is very nice and includes resin exhausts and ejection seats. To overcome the lack of location pins, I added some plasticard on both halves to act as tabs making assembly easier and the joins stronger...

30985546922_f2b2b9b007_b_d.jpg

The intake assembly is complete. This was quite fiddly as you have to ensure that when everything goes together, it all aligns centrally or else it's going to look a little drunk on completion!

31124283596_964acba950_b_d.jpg

The cockpit rear bulkhead has been busied up a bit using brass rod although not much will be seen once the bang seats are in place. 

30985547222_9280cd4e87_b_d.jpg

31124283786_cd8f58a64a_b_d.jpg

30352897003_1ae43a8cac_b_d.jpg

As people have mentioned before, the wing to fuselage profile doesn't quite align near the front of the wing, so some fettling has been done to improve the joins. TonyOT also gave me some advice to reinforce the fuselage between the wings to enable pressure to be applied when fitting the wings, so I'll use some large diameter plastic rod to beef the interior up. Quite enjoying working in the larger scale, the old eyes are particularly pleased with the decision!!!

30339093144_b788811a7d_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 16

Not sure yet John, need to have a look at options.

a dry fit of the panel combing indicates it's a few mm too long unless it's meant to fit under the front end (rather than sitting on top), can anyone confirm what they did with theirs?

thanks

And I used to be the joint keeper of aircraft at FAWNAPS with Murray Flint. I was admiring your models the other day Debs, when I dropped by the museum to take some Stirling bits on loan :)

There's still one of my models in the museum albeit a bit damaged which when you consider its been sat there for 21 years it's not to be wondered at LOL. Bet you can't guess which one, clue its' 1/32 scale

John

• Like 1

Nice to see another of your projects Neil and in a change of both scale and subject from what I normally expect from you. Same stellar quality though I'm sure :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Lovely! Seems really odd you not doing a prop though..... but I'm looking forward to seeing this getting the Woody touch.

Not a prop, not 1/72 and not remotely bomber command!  (ok I understand some RSAF F.53s Lightnings dropped bombs but....).  Odd indeed :)

But Lovely!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Can always go for XS459, I used to part own that at Fenland Aircraft Museum:D

John

I'll look at that as an option John :)

19 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

14 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Not a prop, not 1/72 and not remotely bomber command!  (ok I understand some RSAF F.53s Lightnings dropped bombs but....).  Odd indeed :)

But Lovely!

I needed a break from fiddly turrets and fuselage windows, this a refreshing build, big parts and it has more presence than 72 scale on the bench!  Now where to fit them bombs......:hmmm:

Been plodding on in the background this week. Had some challenges blending the wing joins in, a few more bits to touch up, but quite happy with how its looking. Added some rivet lines for a bit of surface interest too...

31156178721_d59bc532e9_b_d.jpg

31271102245_64fd2ceb11_b_d.jpg

31271102195_581b0f35ed_b_d.jpg

31126637392_05bc0e9418_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 8

Wow, rapid progress Neil, looks pretty much filler free to me!

The Generals Sea Lightning sounds interesting. I wonder if it would get out of sight of the Carrier before having to return for fuel? :lol:

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Great job on the seams, must admit I like the Sword kits, the detail on the 1/72nd T-birds are a lot more refined than the Airfix F.2A I'm hacking up and I really like the fact that those pesky airbrakes are closed for once, though not sure why they all insist on having separate flaps, they were hardly ever seen parked up with them down, but it's something a little different I guess. The wheels are also noticeably thinner on the Sword, is this true of the proper scaled one too ?...

One thing I did notice was the  intake ring was too short and the incorrect profile, replaced it with the QB item, how does the 1/48th measure up ?

I wonder if it would get out of sight of the Carrier before having to return for fuel? :lol:

A very valid point John, though the thing was to have a much longer under belly tank extending forward to the nose gear bay and enlarged VG wings that could carry a lot more fuel.......but in Lightning parlance that means barely enough to get to altitude, pop a few bang sticks off and get back in time for tea and soggy crumpets...(mind you not sure how many 'bolters' could have ensued before the inevitable early bath occured  !).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1