Airfix Victor delayed?

Harrier/ViperFan

Personally I'd wait a while and see offer's to appear,remember the Nimrod they were down to twenty quid in some places and the Valiant 

took a nose dive price wise after release,on the subject of price I,ll use this argument.most of us in this hobby are of an age especially a

lot of folk who are waiting for this release,a number of years ago(in fact even now) we'll happily blow forty odd quid on a night out have a

good time over in a few hour's nothing to show in the end but a bad head and an oath never to do it again!Pay big money for a kit take as 

many weeks or months to build it and years to admire the finished model,that's the argument I use on SWMBO and I only buy cheapies!

• Like 1

Looks like it's available directly from the Airfix website as well - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/handley-page-victor-b2-1-72.html

.. so this thread seems to be irrelevant now. 

Cheers.. Dave

On 24/11/2016 at 7:00 PM, 71chally said:

Dennis, if the the conventional doors were included, some of us could have built something other than a BS aircraft, for example I was considering doing an SR.2.

Others might have wanted to do a standard B.2, or even consider the work to convert to a B.1 or K.2.   Without an aftermarket set or scratch, there will be a lot of Blue Steel builds appearing over the next few months.

I can't remember the last time I built a kit in a scheme or configuration that it came in in the box, that's just me I guess.

I do think that two basic parts that make up the shape of the original aircraft wouldn't have been a big ask on a £60 kit.

This does look a fine kit and has to be worth the wait, but I will be waiting for a later boxing unfortunately, give me time to save up at least!

A model shop near my work has 50% off across everything in January, so will look out for it them if still on the shelf.

BTW, very interesting to hear about your involvement with the type Dennis, have you any pointers to pictures of the BS Victors undersides without the weapon in place?

James I have this drawing if it helps at all?

Vic1_zpszkgdrdc3.jpg

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

thanks for that scan, anymore like that John would be appreciated!

Nice pics Dennis, seems rare to see photos of a BS underside without the missile.

I'll have a look through the AP James, there isn't a lot on the Blue Steele mods. Anything in particular you need?

John 

On 11/24/2016 at 7:00 PM, 71chally said:

Others might have wanted to do a standard B.2, or even consider the work to convert to a B.1 or K.2.   Without an aftermarket set or scratch, there will be a lot of Blue Steel builds appearing over the next few months.

I suspect Airfix will issue another edition with the B2 or K2 parts (or possibly do a similar add on as they did for the Valiant) further on down the road. It's a very old marketing ploy to produce the least common/favourite version first then release the most popular version later. Airfix did this with the 1/72 EE Lightning when they released the F2A before the F6 and Eduard did the same with their Bf110 by releasing the E before the C/D and G versions.

Some of us are gullible enough to fall for this type of marketing (i.e. Me on both of those occasions named above!).

Duncan B

Maybe should have read the above posts first, doh!

• Like 2

Mine arrived yesterday as well.  Good news is that all those who want to build a pre-Blue Steel Victor can do - with a bit of filing, bit of filling, using alternate parts and a bit of leaving bits off.  

Trouble is you will only be able to build one of the last five aircraft off the production line (XM714 - XM718) as they were produced with the drooped leading edge on the outer wings, as opposed to nose flaps, as on the kit.  Double trouble is you will only be able to XM716 which was the only drooped leading edge original Mk.2 to go to 139 Squadron.  The rest went to "Tatty Ton" and there are no decals in the kit for that squadron badge.

The bits in the kit are half way to an SR.Mk.2 (future release ?), although the bomb bay deflectors are solid and on the SR.Mk.2 they were perforated, and the separate wing tips together with part 56 - the tail bumper wheel which appears to have K.Mk.2 fuselage HDU lights either side (remove them for Blue Steel please), seem to indicate that a tanker is on the way for which I think, the aircraft is best known

Nowadays, I always compare the latest Airfix kits with their superb and brilliantly engineered 1/72nd Harrier - their latest incarnation of that little gem and another aircraft that I got very personal with.  With only one caveat, the Victor is on a par with that little beauty.  The only caveat I have are the panel lines.  In the main the Victor was of double skinned and spot welded construction and together with a rather thick anti-ablative filler and two coats of paint, the surface was smooth and glossy and bloody slippery.

The decals are another question.

Dennis

• Like 5

Hi 

As this discussion is about the release of the Victor.  I ordered mine direct from Hornby  in July and have just had a e-mail from their distribution centre stating that my one should be on my doorstep sometime tomorrow 28/11/16.

Geoff Arnold     

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

Excellent news and thank you Ratch for sharing the pics here.  I feel an SR.2  coming on!

First impressions?

I've already got the artwork drawn for my 543Sqn, Wittering Wing decals!!

XVTonker

• Like 1

On 24/11/2016 at 9:13 AM, 71chally said:

I'm a little bit miffed that you don't get the whole aeroplane in the kit!

Leaving out the bomb doors (while the operating rams, deflectors etc are included), which actually contribute to the form of the real aircraft just seems a bit odd to me , even more so at £60.

The presence of the whole aircraft in the box will have been a happy surprise then.

Shane

• Like 3

Well, Hannants are expecting a number of them to arrive this week (including mine, hopefully :)), so maybe they bought the entire existing stock; no idea of course how many have already been sold on pre-order.

The fact that Airfix have no stocks left could mean different things: poor production planning, their financial situation preventing them from investing heavily in kit stocks even for new kits so they have to fall back on just-in-time-production, or (and I sincerely hope that this is the reason) the Victors are selling even better than the proverbial hot cakes and production can't keep up with that!:)

Nevertheless, rather annoying for those who hoped to see their Xmas stock(ing)s being filled by Victors...  lots of temporary alternatives about, though.

Robert