SAAF 4 Sqn. Tomahawk - info sought

Vingtor

I have acquired the Airfix P-40B kit, and would like to finish the model as DX-F of No. 4 Sqn, SAAF in April 1942 (as it was flown by a Norwegian pilot). The problem is that I have no photos of the aircraft, nor of any other 4 Sqn. aircraft of this period. Any help with photos and other information would be highly appreciated.

Nils

The unit wore very large codes and I have seen some pics in various books,.....which I am unfortunately not fit enough to check out yet,....sorry. I have this photo on file which may hopefully help for now just to show the style of the codes;

tomahawk%20dx%20saaf%20sqn%20I%20think_z

Cheers

Tony

Hi

Maybe try contacting the South African IPMS - they have contacts at the SAAF museum. Otherwise contact the SA National Museum of Military History in Pretoria.

Their email is:  [email protected]

The other option is to get info about the specific pilot from [email protected] - the formal SA National Defence Force Documentation centre. They keep records of all SA servicemen from WW1 and 2.

Nils,....... here are three pages from "South African Colours and Markings"

As a bonus the third is of SAAF  Kittyhawks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Etienne.

Oops, posted the wrong way around...........

3-001.jpg

2-001.jpg

1-001.jpg

Thanks, this is exactly what I had hoped for!

Now, the big question is: Would the paint be British MAP or American DuPont colours (or a combination?)

Nils