F-4J UK, Tamiya, 1/32

Stéphane

Hello everybody,

Here is the return of an long time shelve queen, namely the Tamiya, 1/32 F-4J. She was my first 1/32 build ever and began her life in the markings of a US MArines bird, with blue nose and tail in ....1999.

In 2003, I decided to strip paint and initially scheduled a Ferris scheme. But then decided to go for a RAF machine. Some 10 years ago I began spraying a coat of zinc chromate yellow ... and put her back on the shelve of doom. 7 years ago, I have the tail painted black and the exhaust area reworked.  And here she is, well advanced, light aircraft grey undersides, check, Medium sea grey upper wing, check, drop tanks med seagrey/lighaircraft grey, check.

Here are some pics, I hope you'll enjoy. Clours are gunze acryls.

F4_JUK_01.png

F4_JUK_02.png

F4_JUK_03.png

F4_JUK_04.png

F4_JUK_05.png

F4_JUK_06.jpg

F4_JUK_07.jpg

F4_JUK_08.jpg

Hébergeur d'images

• Like 3

Hello all,

The day's work, on with the Barley grey. My intention is to have her fitted with the centerline gun pod.

I've been reading the F-4J topic in the Cold War section and saw that some plane had the nose cone overpainted with the standard colour for (e.g. not the US colour), but what is the BS name of this colour ?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

F4_JUK_09.jpg

F4_JUK_10.jpg

F4_JUK_11.jpg

F4_JUK_12.jpg

Mmmhhh, and which squadron do you plan to celebrate? (Careful, there's a trap... :smartass:)

Jokes appart, was it an AM conversion for an F-4J (UK), or scratchbuild all the way?

By the way, any other mods than the ECM gear on top of the fin?

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 1

The radomes were finished in Barley Grey, later known as Camouflage Grey, both to BS.4800.  The original American-applied finish was known as Flint Gray, which may not be its official designation.

The F-4J(UK) fleet never received the fin-top RWR installation as fitted to the F-4K and F-4M (FG. 1 and FGR. 2) fleet in the squared-off fairings.  The 'J(UK) fleet had their RWR kit in small fairings above the intakes and on the fin tip trailing edge in a small bullet fairing.

• Like 1

Hi Stever, 

Thanks for that, I'll double check the RWR fairing of the fin tip, it's currently under masking tape :D ....

I'm lost, the fuselage and outer wings panels are in Barley grey, and it seemed to me the nose cone was of a different hue ?

Indeed, I'll dig a bit more in the piccies and make a special mix for it. :)

@Antoine no scratch here, you know I'm a total dummy when it's coming to scracth ;););) 

Hi Stephane,

The colour depends on which airframe is being modeled and at which stage in its life.  The original colours were "nearest equivalents" to the BS381C colour applied in America over a strong yellow primer which gave the Flint Gray/Barley Grey in partcular a distinctly "green" cast, somewhere around Duck Egg Blue or a strong RLM65-ish colour.  Like all colours this varied a lot depending on lighting conditions.  

At least three airframes, including ZE360, were repainted in "proper" BS381C colours of Barley Grey, Medium Sea Grey and Light Aircraft Grey (look at the style of the serial numbers: repainted jets had the normal RAF/Royal Navy style characters, the original colour scheme had squarer American-style characters).  Radomes were interchangeable between the entire UK Phantom fleet, so could have been in any of the colour schemes.  

One thing to note is that some of the radomes displayed a slight brown cast to their colours, possibly due to the paint being more thinly applied over the brown radar-transparent material or by the pant having been eroded by rain and weather.

Steve.

Hello there,

Some progress on the Phantom. I'm struggling with the Flint grey/FS 16314 whatever colour it is that our american friends have been using to paint the J' fuselage and outer wing panels  ...

If the web is a stunning resource, pics are confusing as the hue is varying from duck eeg blue, or sky to .... Barley grey.

So, here is my try , but I'm not convinced meself, as I find it not dense enough. On to your comms :)

F4_JUK_13.jpg

F4_JUK_14.jpg

F4_JUK_15.jpg

Stephane, 

as per my earlier post the colour could vary dramatically depending on lighting conditions, film (if any) used, processing of same, lens filters, print quality and umpty-dozen other factors.  I recently had dealings with a chap who deals in automotive paints who told me that there's an allowed tolerance of 10% on British Standards colours, so if the label on the paint tins the Americans used and you used have the same FS number on them you should be pretty close.  I don't want to go anywhere near the realms of "scale effect", but on a 1/32th model it's going to be less noticeable than on a 1/72th one.

Whichever paints you've used your Phantom is definitely starting to look the part, keep at it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Some work done on the F-4J.

The good news is that I've been finding all my missing U/C doors !!! It was simply stored (in a place where I was sure to find it easily when the time comes ... Dummy!)

Other items :

Nose painted Barley grey with a brownish hue

Gun pod prepartion (bubbles filled with Mister Surfacer 1200 and CA glue

Gun pod assembly

Centerline pylon build (still need to have the linking elements to make)

And rebuild of one AWOL retracting rod ....

Click image to enlarge ;)

F4_JUK_16.jpg

F4_JUK_18.jpg

F4_JUK_19.jpg

F4_JUK_20.jpg

Edited by Stéphane

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I hope you had a nice Christmas and lotsa new kits under the tree ... :D

Work on the F-4 has been continuing, with the SUU-23 gun pod pylon being scratchbuilt, while the pod itsel is almost complete (still need some weathering, though).

I've been using the excellent Master brass pitot and AoA sensor.

I stll need to add the canera/periscope (don't know what the thingy is) on the left side of the canopy separation.

Decals, from the Yellow Hammer sheet where added, too. Still a long way from home, but taking shape.

As usual comments and inputs welcome. Click images to enlarge.

Best

Stef (#6)

F4_JUK_21.jpg

F4_JUK_22.jpg

F4_JUK_23.jpg

F4_JUK_24.jpg

F4_JUK_25.jpg

F4_JUK_26.jpg

F4_JUK_27.jpg

F4_JUK_28.jpg

F4_JUK_29.jpg

F4_JUK_30.jpg

F4_JUK_31.jpg

Hello,

Not absolutely certain, but the auxiliary bleed engine doors are, as seen in the Verlinden walk-around about the J (UK). The landing gear doors and flaps sides are not though. The question needs to be raised, as it seems that the J had numerous "paint lives", some of them, repainte d with britsha hues, some other had the nose only repainted, etc.

I choosed ZE 354, because I found a few good reference photos on the Web.

And the walkaround of this very forum do seem to display red inner airbrakes (although turned pinkish by elements)

SDC10623.jpg

Aaaah, indeed, the speedbrakes wells thingies you mean. :D. Well, er, uh, that is .... I don't have the slightest idea. I can respray some light gull grey, yes.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't dig that deep.

1Best,

Stef (#6)

• 2 months later...

Hello ,

Haven't been around for a while, due to moving house and the ensuing work like floor and painting, fixing odds and bits, you know the drill.
I've been re-installing the bench and managed to fin some painting time on the Phantom.

Secals are on, some post shading applied, currently under fading ... Stilla good amount of work to be done, but it's moving along ...

All comments welcome, as usual ... And I know, I still have to spray some light aircraft grey in these airbrake wells :D

(click images to enlarge)

Best 

Stef (#6)

F4_JUK_36.jpg

F4_JUK_37.jpg

F4_JUK_38.jpg

F4_JUK_39.jpg

F4_JUK_40.jpg

F4_JUK_41.jpg

F4_JUK_42.jpg

F4_JUK_43.jpg

F4_JUK_44.jpg

• Like 3

Wow excellent work so far, really like it. How did you do the weathering on the top and bottom? It looks subtle  but defined and very well done. Look forward to more.

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks Mirage IV,

(BTW, you're a man of taste, the Mirage IV is a Sierra Hotel sexy plane ! :) )

For the weathering, it's a post shading in black, dark grey, etc, softened with highly diluted veils of the original hue.
The leaks on the underside were done using oil paint (burnt sienna), using the dot technique or dry brush with a wide rigid brush .... Again, it's softened with several veils of the original hue.

I've a complete online album, if you like to check the various steps in details : F-4J photo album

Best,

Stef (#6)