Bomber Command Twins - Airfix Whitley & Valom Hampden

• 2 months later...

Superb work as usual, Neil. I've just acquired the AZ re-release of the Hampden and have the Whitley in the stash. I think both of them just moved up the build schedule after seeing these!

Paul

• Like 1

Somehow I missed these the first time round.  A beautiful couple of twins.  Very affective panel line highlights and I especially like the exhaust staining on the Whitley. 

• Like 1

Excellent models although I'm not a great military aircraft fan.  The John Hannah connection is very interesting.  He came from Paisley near Glasgow.  When I worked in Paisley around 20 years ago the local press reported that the children at his former school were doing a project about him and learning how this ordinary young Scottish guy came to win the VC.  It was good to know that he hadn't been forgotten in his home town even if he wasn't well treated by "the establishment" - invalided out of the RAF and trying to scrape a living as a taxi driver in a borrowed car before dying of tuberculosis at the age of 25.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul A H said:

Superb work as usual, Neil. I've just acquired the AZ re-release of the Hampden and have the Whitley in the stash. I think both of them just moved up the build schedule after seeing these!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I wouldn't mind getting one if the transparencies meet up to their expectation so I'll be interested to see how they look if you get the chance.

37 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent models although I'm not a great military aircraft fan.  The John Hannah connection is very interesting.  He came from Paisley near Glasgow.  When I worked in Paisley around 20 years ago the local press reported that the children at his former school were doing a project about him and learning how this ordinary young Scottish guy came to win the VC.  It was good to know that he hadn't been forgotten in his home town even if he wasn't well treated by "the establishment" - invalided out of the RAF and trying to scrape a living as a taxi driver in a borrowed car before dying of tuberculosis at the age of 25.  

Very sad, certainly not the short and struggling life a hero deserves. 

Hello Neil,

My compliments on the standard of these two models.

Also the real pics and comments made it very interesting.

Regards,Orion/The Netherlands.

• Like 1

To my mind, these are the best builds of these two kits I have seen so far! You nailed the colors and the weathering, too! Very subtle panel line highlighting, as well. In my uneducated and biased opinion, less is certainly more in that department and I really like the restraint you used. Incredible pair! You made a Whitley look beautiful, and that takes some doing!

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

To my mind, these are the best builds of these two kits I have seen so far! You nailed the colors and the weathering, too! Very subtle panel line highlighting, as well. In my uneducated and biased opinion, less is certainly more in that department and I really like the restraint you used. Incredible pair! You made a Whitley look beautiful, and that takes some doing!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

i was rather disappointed with the colours in the end as the green looks too light in my opinion. The jar was lighter than another one, although it could be one I lightened previously, most issues I have tend to be home made clangers!!! 

• 2 weeks later...