Bell P-39Q Airacobra - 1/72 Academy

grab

Hi All!

I would like to show you one of my previous works, from 2013. For the build I used parts of Eduard's Zoom PE set, the resin sets for main wheels and propeller by SBS Models, and a lot of scratch parts of my own (front wheel well, cockpit, radio). US insignia and the serial number on the tail was painted using laser cut custom masks. Gunze and Tamiya paints were used.

WIP:  http://www.makett.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=3428

Thanks for watching!

P1030107_1.jpg

P1030104_1.jpg

P1030108_1.jpg

P1030109_1.jpg

P1030116_1.jpg

• Like 34

Thank you for your nice words!

12 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Wow!  Great work.  I've always had a soft spot for the old 39 after reading Cactus Air Force in middle school. Great book, great model. 

Any trouble with the kit? Easy to build?

I think its a typical Academy kit, good fit (except the clear parts), sharp and thin panel lines, the kind of plastic I like. Weakpoints are the qualilty and accuracy of the decals, the sparse cockpit, and the lack of the front wheel bay. The toughest job was to sand together the front and side cockpit glazing inside to the fuselage, so there is no level between them. To make it, I had to glue to glazing to the right side of the fuselage, before the fuselage was joint. So it was I quite an unusual approach.

An immaculate build, clean smooth paintwork and restrained realistic weathering, my favourite kind of build. :thumbsup:

I'm looking to build one of these in Soviet colours, and this looks to be a really nice kit when finished.

Great work!

Edited by Squibby