1/72 Eduard La-7 Profipack (OOB but not really build)

Squibby

I found this handy VVS paint mixing guide somewhere on the interweb thingy (France by the look of it), and I have a couple of questions.

VVS%20Color%20Mixes.jpg

First, does anyone know if these mixing ratios are good? And second, if not does anyone know of a better mixing guide? Specifically Gunze or Tamiya for me.

Also, will this be of any help to your La-7 build?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

@Navy Bird Cheers for that chart, it's absolutely helpful, you wouldn't believe the horrors I've seen in my search for some simple paint mixes :blink:.

I've ended up buying a nice assortment of greys (both for this and some future Luftwaffe builds). I think I may have the AMT-11 / 12 greys covered. Though I might try some of those mixes and see what comes out. I'm sure Tamiya tire black will work instead of Gunze H77 (or any very dark grey for that matter). 

Funnily enough though I did end up test mixing something similar to that mix for AMT-7 using Tamiya XF23 (very similar to H67) and some H42 Blue Grey. I used a 2:1 ratio and it just seemed too dark and greenish to my eye. I'll give it another shot using the recommended ratio 4:1 ratio and see what it ends up looking like. since I need to blast the interior of the radiator scoop at some point.

These colours are doing my head in I tells ya... and despite it all I'll probably be wrong in the end. As long as the grey looks sufficiently Soviet looking  I'll be happy :D

Also after all the shading and blending etc. is done my paintwork usually ends up a bit lighter toned than expected.

@Phil Lewis err...that's fine... nice to have you along...just don't hurt anyone :lol:

• Like 2

I think you're doing a great job with this kit Squibby.

Especially like what you did with the cockpit.

Picked up the 1:48 Weekend edition of this aircraft very cheap in the kitswap at Telford this year.

It is... very basic to say the least with no etch so I am following your build with interest.

Your thread is a goldmine of information :thumbsup:

I did a fair bit of online research on this a couple of years ago and although I'm not religious in my colouring beliefs, I concluded that Extra Dark Sea Grey and RLM 75 went very close to a sort of 'average' of credible sources.  On my VVS builds I use those shades and just play with them a bit. EDSG has a 'green' character- but not overwhelmingly so- that seems to depict the Soviet colour well.

[I'm also enjoying your promotion of the fine goods and services of Australasia's favourite hardware and lifestyles emporium: my employer (I even got to be on the TV ad in 2015 which was shown during the NRL and AFL grand finals. My five minutes...).]

Edited by Peter Lloyd
  • Like 1

Cheers Phil :D, glad I can be of some help. I hope you'll get the scratch build skills out for the 1:48 I did notice that without the etch the cockpit would have been a bit basic to say the least.

I found this really good site with a walk around of a La7. There also are a few other decent photos around that should help you with detailing up that cockpit.

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?cid=142&orderby=date ASC&show=12&min=0

@Peter Lloyd I've got both RLM75 and a Extra Dark Sea Gray in Gunze (not sure of the H codes at the moment) so I'm looking good for colours then :D

Also I was puzzled at your last comment but then noticed my ancient Bunnings flyer table protector :D I'll have to change that one out at some point, it's getting a bit...aged...

• Like 1

@Procopius Too late! you can't escape now :devil:, now you must watch my ham-fisted attempts at modelling forever! (or probably next week, whichever comes first...)

Anyway...

I started out cutting and test fitting the glazing. Eduard must have gotten the decimal point in the wrong place somewhere because these are the most hilariously thick bits of clear plastic I have ever seen. they'd be almost 100mm thick or so in real life... 

The front and back I can live with but the sliding section as is so often the case with 1/72 aircraft is far too thick to nestle over the rear canopy section. It's funny that they even give you it because it's exactly the same size as it's counterpart in the 'one piece' molding they also provide. Generally I would have thought this bit would be artificially made a bit wider but not this time...

Anyway with no real inclination to obtain a Vacform canopy I decided to attempt thinning the canopy down by filing / sanding the inside (smooth face). The part was luckily large enough to sand the inside pretty easily so I got into my work. Almost an hour or so of sanding and filing away I ended up with a much thinner but horribly scratched canopy.

20161130_232536_HDR_zpsvrdvva1c.jpg

No need to panic, out comes the micromesh pads. I went through the onerous process of working my way down the grades wet sanding carefully and being sure to vary my angles as much as practical. I then gave it a good buffing using my rotary tool, a rub down with some Meguiars PlastX and a final rotary tool buffing for luck. The end result is not quite as perfect as the starting product but it's more than workable given the amount of abuse I put it through.

20161130_234112_HDR_zpsgsdm5h1q.jpg

And it sits nicely over the rear canopy section without being perched up on top like a silly hat...

20161130_234223_HDR_zps71ng6f98.jpg

I've got to say I'm quite proud of myself. Back a few models I wouldn't have even dreamed of attempting something like that.

Buoyed by my newfound sense of accomplishment I decided to also attempt reshaping the spinner to be less.... um... nipple-y...;). All photos I've seen of the real thing (including the box art :rolleyes:) show a smoother curve to the spinner. Now I've read about people using a rotary tool as a lathe but I've been wary of trying it using my el-cheapo tool. First time for everything I thought and found a chuck that would hold the spinner in place. I used my home built speed control to pull it down to a slower speed and went to town carefully shaping it with sandpaper. It worked really well and was much easier than I thought, soon I had corrected the curve of the spinner (good enough by eye at least) and given it a nice smooth polish to boot :D

20161201_001718_HDR_zpsfmoh55bu.jpg

So a day filled with achievements. but not much material progress unfortunately....until next time

• Like 3

Got the cowling fan painted and cowl fitted. Nice clean fit with a few tiny gaps that may need some PPP.

20161201_205427_HDR_zpse1vlrkf0.jpg

I also got the IP coaming and the gunsight painted and fitted in place. I replaced the molded in gunsight glass with a tiny piece of acetate sheet for a more in scale look.

20161201_214515_HDR_zpshoocbp3i.jpg

Then started to tackle the canopy masking. Luckily the kit comes with precut masks which fit perfectly. This bit is normally the most arduous part of a build and it was such a joy to just peel and stick them on. I'll have to see if I can get some of these for my next build.

20161201_221255_HDR_zps7obsqunl.jpg

The canopy parts fit very well as can be seen. The front and rear secitons are stuck on with Tamiya Extra thin, the middle bit is just sitting there. I'm going to temporarily fix it in place to mask the cockpit and get it painted at the same time.

20161201_231108_HDR_zpsdrrfdjqg.jpg

Starting to look like suspiciously like a La-7 now...

I'll need to give some areas a few swipes of PPP to sort out some tiny gaps, paint and fit the radiator housing and I'll be all ready for painting.

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 9

Dang it! Ran out of likes. Nevertheless mind here's one for later "like" :lol:

excellent scrarch work Squib old boy and top sanding on the canopy too. Glad I caught this one not to far in.

:goodjob:

all the best.

john.

Edited by The Spadgent

Cheers mate! Glad to have you pop in, taking a break from the big 109 I see :D 

A small update for the weekend, I'm almost at the business end and the part I like the most (painting) but unfortunately I've had to pause for a while waiting for some paints to arrive.

In the meantime I did some cleanup using PPP (perfect plastic putty, for those wondering what the heck I'm talking about) to blend some seams. The most notable was a bit of a step at the front canopy. The gun cover piece left a bit of a step to the rest of the fuselage that was accentuated when the canopy was fitted. It needed to be carefully sanded and touched up with PPP. I worked as gingerly as I could around the canopy masks but some of them got a bit ragged. Luckily the sheet comes with some spares and I replaced the damaged ones :phew:. The blend isn't perfect but it'll do. Once I spray the canopy interior colour I'll see what it looks like and hopefully all it'll need is a bit more PPP at the worst.

20161203_230037_HDR_zpseosx7aa1.jpg

My other venture of the day was to drill out the radiator intake part. It's a solid bit with a small molded in depression. I drilled through a few shoddy unaligned holes and attacked it with a blade and sandpaper. In the end it looks good if a bit rough and the 'roof' of the intake is now very thin. I'll have to be careful that I don't cave it in while handling it.

20161203_214559_HDR_zpssdiyktxp.jpg

And for now I await my new paint colours for the underside. I'll then paint the scoop internals, fit the nicely molded and PE enhanced radiator piece (which consequentially will be almost completely hidden :mental:) and fit the scoop in place, test fits reveal a nice clean fit so I'm anticipating no dramas here.

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 5

Nice and accurate work, Squibby :) 

Just a small note for you before you'll start paint job: if you'll finally select Dolgushin's scheme, please, bear in mind what according photo his plane had rather two red quick identification stripes on its tail (not 3 as per instructions given to his regiment). Of course, 3rd stripe could be added later but due to Victory Day I'll doubt what they'd need it.

Hmmm I have asked Santa for this kit and after following some of the trials and tribulations of your build and I must add brilliant work I am now officially bricking it and maybe secretly hoping 🎅🏻hasn't got enough space for it on the sled. 

12 minutes ago, Discopop said:

Hmmm I have asked Santa for this kit and after following some of the trials and tribulations of your build and I must add brilliant work I am now officially bricking it and maybe secretly hoping 🎅🏻hasn't got enough space for it on the sled. 

They say 'beware of what you wish for' :wicked:

Edited by Phil Lewis

Lovely craftsmanship on that canopy Squibby. I'm all for bunging things in the Dremel as we'll, so glad you got a positive result.

Looking top drawer from where I am!

Tony

Thanks all for the compliments all,

I'm getting the sentiment that I'm putting a few of you off this kit, Please don't let my bungling around put you off. It really is a very good kit with most bits fitting like a glove, it's just the few bits that don't that have me complaining like a spoiled diva :D. I fully expect anyone with a modicum of modelling fortitude to breeze through the tougher bits like the wing to fuselage join with nothing but a passing nod of appreciation for the fight B).

On a side note the paints finally arrived after their arduous journey across the island :rolleyes:. I now own 2x more light blue colours to go with the multitude of greys in my overstuffed paint drawer.

• Like 1

A small update.

Had a play with the paints. I got Gunze H323 which is the underside colour called out in the instructions and H418 which is RLM78 (a more grey greenish blue) which I've heard is similar. The blue is dazzlingly bright and probably a bit much, it also lacks that greenish grey tinge that I've seen, but the RLM78 is a bit too subdued. Not being a complicated person I mixed them on a 1:1 ratio and came up with a suitably vibrant underside colour with a hint of green / grey which seems to look more the part.

Here it is squirted into the wheel well and radiator housing. The H323 is gloss I'm going to play it safe and gloss coat this before I attempt to mask it off given the dramas I've had with Gunze gloss paints in the past.

20161205_225423_HDR_zpseahdrpk3.jpg

Of course I'm probably way off the mark but I really couldn't care less if I'm wrong. I've seen all kinds of colours from something that looks like a lighter azure blue to nice vibrant blues and grey blues of various shades being used on undersides and I've done my head in trying to establish what colour is actually correct to no avail. I'll just pick one direction and go with it. I like the vibrant colour anyway, it's not often we get to use them.

In the course of my paintwork shading I'll probably end up taking the paint a few shades lighter anyway.

@Dimmy Cheers for the pointer. Don't take this the wrong way but I think I'll just stick to 3x red ID stripes, it looks a bit empty with the lowest stripe missing. I've also seen an old photo floating around which shows 3x painted which suggests at some point in time it did have them all. I figure why not...

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Squibby said:

@Dimmy Cheers for the pointer. Don't take this the wrong way but I think I'll just stick to 3x red ID stripes, it looks a bit empty with the lowest stripe missing. I've also seen an old photo floating around which shows 3x painted which suggests at some point in time it did have them all. I figure why not...

As I have exactly the same Eduard kit, I'm also interesting in Dolgushin La-7 scheme. Sure you're right, this colourful tail looks completed with 3 red ID stripes and there are even a copy of order for application of ID elements to planes of 8th Air Group (which Dolgushin's 156 IAP belongs to) with illustrations which clearly states 3 white and 3 red stripes. So I prefer completed set of ID stripes too :)

Unfortunately for me I managed to find only one pic of Dolgushin's La-7 so I'd be happy if you could point me to another old photo.

By the way, on my display your mix for underside blue colour (AMT-7) looks good! :goodjob:

ejegbq.jpg

Heh go figure :D

Here is the photo I'm referring to.

Found it here http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=2079.0

The guys in that thread explain what we're seeing better but you can see the 3x stripes. The lower one is partially obscured by the tailplane with the elevators pointing up.

Looks legit...B)

pic_35.jpg

@Squibby

Thank you very much for this link! To be honest I almost broke my eyes completely while examine photo in search of 3rd stripe :D 

You're right, next picture (by Milos) is describing it all, IMHO:

Dolg04_zpsbvpikctx.jpg

Great find, now we can have complete set of quick ID stripes! :thumbsup:

Enjoying the build so far Squibby...looking good too!  Think I have one of these to build in the not too distant future.  So trying to keep up and pay serious attention. 

Simon

• Like 1

Cracked on with some of the initial paintwork tonight.

First started with the exhaust heat sheilds. I wanted to build up a multi toned metallic finish here so I laid down a heavy gloss black coat as a base.

20161206_184127_HDR_zpsj720rqyw.jpg

Then a coat of VMC (Vallejo Metal Colour) Dark Aluminum

20161206_185436_HDR_zpsjhwaxau9.jpg

Followed by a light misting and streaking of VMC Exhaust manifold (a dull bronze like colour)

20161206_190149_HDR_zpszud9xxqr.jpg

Then an even lighter misting of VMC Copper

20161206_190650_HDR_zpsgu0fho9a.jpg

And finally a light streaking with some heavily thinned XF-85 Tire Black and XF-1 Flat Black to really darken up the area.

20161206_192301_HDR_zpsejgs0ui0.jpg

The camera doesn't capture it too well but there is a nice mix of colours showing through there. I'll finish off with some pigments after I'm done with all the painting.

Once the paint had dried a bit it was hidden under masking tape until the very end of the build.

I then turned my attention to the white and red. First up a nice coat of white to act as a basis for the red nose and stripped tail.

20161206_221159_HDR_zpsnbfczbof.jpg

The on with the red on the nose. I think I'll do some shading work on this to break up the block of colour.

Probably not the correct red though, I used Gunze H414 (RLM 23 Red, I've got a crapload of Luftwaffe colours now for some reason...)

20161206_225141_HDR_zpseeshyh9v.jpg

Turns out as well that the tail stripes and all the assorted emblems are provided as a decal... not ideal because the reds don't match perfectly. I'll just have to fade them a bit with some white to blend them together. I've also discovered the decals have this weird doubled up offset carrier film thing going on, I tested one and while they come out ok there is a massive overhang of carrier film that needs to be trimmed off. Not impressed really. :rant:

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 4

I'll put up a small update while watching some paint dry.

I got the nose and tail masked up, sprayed the canopy with interior grey and blanketed the underside in my 1:1, H418 (RLM 78) and H323 (Light Blue) AMT-7 (or not) mix. Since it's a gloss paint it's going to take an eternity to dry so I'll have to wait for a bit before shading it. Once it's all done I'll be sure to give it a coat of Aqua Gloss to seal it in before masking for the topside grey. Else there is a good chance the surface will be marred by the tape.

20161208_181855_HDR_zpslymkhecl.jpg

20161208_190844_HDR_zpsjxbggptv.jpg

• Like 2

Tiny update.

Did some shading on the underside. Not a lot of panels to work with so I just added a lot of streaks. The plane was shaded in Gunze H417 (RLM 76) which has lent a slightly more greenish grey tone to the paintwork.

Not that it's super visible, just breaks up the blue a little..

20161211_020749_HDR_zps7izh6gie.jpg

• Like 3