Roden 1/72 Felixstowe

Epimedium

9895E813-D6DE-4348-A4D9-8A83DB701C19_zps

Just started this one, picked it up at Telford for £12! I hope to post up the progress although it may be slow, never actually rigged a 1/72 biplane so why not start at the deep end 😬

Started with the two engines, found them fiddly due to the fact tamiya cement wouldn't react in its usual manner, so I may switch to revell or humbrol.

2249FD75-26C1-4A26-BF71-243BAB1E0E38_zps

The kits seems relatively simple (famous last words) and I hope to keep the wings separate for painting as the dazzle options are quite complex, I'm also hoping to rig the main wings before attaching them. Everything does look a bit flashy and bulky, especially the canopy but it should all be fine once it comes together as a completed model.

thanks

Jason

• Like 4

Wow, talk about in at the deep end! I have this one (and the Curtis version) in my stash but I'm not at home right now so can't check the assembly....I wouldn't recommend rigging the wings before fitting them unless you have a good jig and they are very sturdy - the fuselage adds a lot of strength! I did it that way on my Short 184 build but only because I built it wings folded and had no other option....it was a nightmare, and I only build WWI.......

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Hi Epimedium - Fully constructing and rigging the wings will certainly work as this WIP picture shows.... I'm sure yours will look similar.

I used the dazzle pattern as shown on the box top and, like you, thought it was easier to paint both halves separately. I wouldn't call it an easy build but it was satisfying to complete it.

I shall follow your build with interest.

31122693645_62f0a1be1f_b.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Jason

Good luck building yours. When I built mine it took me a couple of tries to get the top wing on due to the engine mounting struts being slightly misaligned. I don't know how much rigging experience you have but rigging my Felixstowe taught me patience.

By the way do you have the Aims squirmy decal set? 

Regards Toby

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sofusthecat said:

By the way do you have the Aims squirmy decal set? 

Regards Toby

I did look at that and was going to go that route but when I looked it seemed the pattern was quite irregular so I figured I could do the same with masking and I like the look of the blue version.

the wings look like they are sturdy as they are a separate piece but I'm not liking the look of how they join to the fuselage, seems a little vague, although I haven't study that part of construction yet.

also concerning rigging I have Uschi fine and superfine (the latter being for this one)  I've only used ez line before so is this similar in habit. I'm also not planning to use buckles as in the scale I can't see that they'd be visible.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

I've been eyeing one of these up for a while but thankfully now I get to watch you trial it before I make a decision. Very best of luck Epimedium! (Let me know if you need any rigging diagrams or interior shots as I think I've both tucked away on file).

Great to see this:D

Tony

13 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I've been eyeing one of these up for a while but thankfully now I get to watch you trial it before I make a decision. Very best of luck Epimedium! (Let me know if you need any rigging diagrams or interior shots as I think I've both tucked away on file).

Great to see this:D

Tony

Hi tony any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm going by what I can find on google!

19 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

With these sort of patterns you don't really need a mask set. It's pretty easy to do it like this.............

30306689184_794f1302fb_b.jpg

This is what I thought as they're not perfect curves etc so it'll be easier to cut with artistic license. Have you got a link to your completed one it would be good to see it.

thanks

A little progress, I finished one engine and then decided to press on with the wings and fuselage as the fitting is a little vague so I'd prefer a dry fit instead of hoping it'll all line up, which I can see it clearly wouldn't.

There are no locating pins for any of the joints so I'm giving it plenty of drying time.

5D0CB3C9-475F-4F8B-8241-FC6CE11188A3_zps

3BB71536-FD34-447C-B23F-96DF9926DE21_zps

C3BABEF1-1597-4344-87F0-E6CF0CF61581_zps

90459509-8360-4118-AA88-EDF33F68D66E_zps

• Like 2

Wow, good luck with this one. I have it (and the swirly decals) in the stash for a rainy day when I have lost all reason. I have heard worrying tales of woe about the engine mounting struts, apparently the instructions are completely misleading. Recommend you google other builds.